Wiki Posts
Search

AUH Midfield Terminal Opening

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2021, 7:45 am
HB7

Programs: BA Exec Club, SIA KrisFlyer, Qantas FF, Emirates Skywards
Originally Posted by SinkOrSwim
There are now road signs from the airport to "Expo 2020", so I wouldn't be surprised if the new terminal opened just ahead of the Expo (as I have been saying all along).
I hope you're right. I'd love to see the new terminal soon.
Old Mar 26, 2021, 7:52 am

There are now road signs from the airport to "Expo 2020", so I wouldn't be surprised if the new terminal opened just ahead of the Expo (as I have been saying all along).
Seems logical/necessary. If Expo begins 1Oct, it would seem that the terminal must open by 1Aug at the latest? If it was ready enough for human trials in late 2019 I can't imagine they have much left to do
Old Mar 26, 2021, 10:42 am
HB7

Programs: BA Exec Club, SIA KrisFlyer, Qantas FF, Emirates Skywards
I still think it would be wise for the UAE and Dubai governments looking at moving this to 2022 as it doesn't seem likely that this even will run at even 15-20% of capacity.
Old Jun 14, 2021, 12:15 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum Ambassador, Etihad Silver
Having flown over the new Midfield Terminal a couple of weeks ago, and seeing what an absolute mess it looks from the sky, I don't even think it's going to open this year now.....
Old Jun 15, 2021, 11:20 am

Programs: Etihad Guest Platinum; Accor Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Having flown over the new Midfield Terminal a couple of weeks ago, and seeing what an absolute mess it looks from the sky, I don't even think it's going to open this year now.....
Speaking to a friend very much in the know of the airline and of Airport function, the airline is sadly in freefall and the airport is the absolute white elephant we all know it to be and no one but no one is in any rush to open it and look even more silly when they've got whizz air arabia and etihad in there. The only hopes will be to entice US carriers back to use the preclearance facilities

General thoughts are that it is going to taken to a point and work will halt again sadly, would have loved to see it though. Another work contact supplied all the screens being used through out the terminal for messaging and advertising etc thousands of them, all are now out of warranty and they've never even really been turned on in anger and will likely need replacing before the opening as wont remotely have any wow factor as they would have in 2017 to a 2015 spec
reigndrop likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2021, 3:33 am

Programs: Etihad Gold, Qatar Gold, flying Blue, Falcon, Lufthansa, Eva
Originally Posted by Dogmatick

General thoughts are that it is going to taken to a point and work will halt again sadly, would have loved to see it though. Another work contact supplied all the screens being used through out the terminal for messaging and advertising etc thousands of them, all are now out of warranty and they've never even really been turned on in anger and will likely need replacing before the opening as wont remotely have any wow factor as they would have in 2017 to a 2015 spec
They may not have been used in anger but why on earth would they need replacing ?
Old Jun 20, 2021, 1:02 am

Originally Posted by amnicoll
They may not have been used in anger but why on earth would they need replacing ?
Required capabilities for modern advertising and promotions etc plus warranty based issues, I understood that all items need to be under warranty and these won't be any longer
Old Jun 24, 2021, 3:22 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum Ambassador, Etihad Silver
I've heard the same about the escalators - they were ordered years ago, and left to get battered by the local heat and dust and are now unusable.
Old Jul 5, 2021, 7:49 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Perhaps it will never open. How incredibly sad…

https://www.paddleyourownkanoo.com/2021/07/05/abu-dhabi-cancels-contract-on-gigantic-multi-billion-dollar-new-airport-reports/
Old Jul 5, 2021, 9:42 am

They did terminate the main construction contract but I think it's more of a strategic move rather than indicating an intention never to open.
Old Jul 7, 2021, 1:07 am
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
It will open. Eventually. Even the UAE wouldn't just "trash" it..
Old Jul 7, 2021, 2:57 am

Originally Posted by NoY
It will open. Eventually. Even the UAE wouldn't just "trash" it..
I would have to agree with this a pity they trashed the airline though and I am unlikely to see it as a result
Old Jul 7, 2021, 9:48 am
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by amnicoll
I would have to agree with this a pity they trashed the airline though and I am unlikely to see it as a result
Yes it is, relatively speaking, a shadow of its former self but as I have well over 100k points left (& a Gold Card) I will use them to burn the points - & perhaps take the occasional well priced paid flight. Quite when that will be though is entirely another matter!
EYrevanchist likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2021, 12:08 pm

Agreed such a shame that when it opens it will be not nearly as big a thing as they would have hoped and likely corners cut where they would not have been before
Old Jul 8, 2021, 4:27 am

Originally Posted by NoY
Yes it is, relatively speaking, a shadow of its former self but as I have well over 100k points left (& a Gold Card) I will use them to burn the points - & perhaps take the occasional well priced paid flight. Quite when that will be though is entirely another matter!
was gold card (no idea what it is now) I used up my miles upgrading long ago and have not flown Etihad since. A pity because they were superb - sure they made to odd mistake and the loyalty scheme was one of the best in my experience of being able to get enough miles to upgrade. I particularly miss the excellent lounge at Manchester and the brilliant staff there
NoY likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.