AUH Midfield Terminal Opening

Old Jan 14, 21, 2:42 am

Programs: Etihad Guest Platinum; Accor Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SinkOrSwim View Post
I've heard rumours that there are so many legal wranglings going on that it's not going to open any time soon.
Really, what sort of stuff? Delayed payments and the like or the airport is suing over non delivery?
Old Jan 15, 21, 8:38 am

Programs: EK Plat; QR Plat
Originally Posted by Dogmatick View Post
Really, what sort of stuff? Delayed payments and the like or the airport is suing over non delivery?
I know some of the bankers involved, and at its core it appears to be face-saving: given Etihadís scaled down ambitions, and the fact that most other major airlines itís either / or re DXB (okay, DXB in reality....) thereís a likelihood this is a gigantic white elephant. So excuses being made to delay and obfuscate.

Firmly in the realm of rumour though.
Old Feb 26, 21, 11:02 am

Seems more and more likely that there will be a 2021 opening
Old Feb 26, 21, 2:00 pm
HB7

Programs: BA Exec Club, SIA KrisFlyer, Qantas FF, Emirates Skywards
Originally Posted by deltatrav View Post
Seems more and more likely that there will be a 2021 opening
Can you elaborate?
Old Mar 2, 21, 2:02 pm

Apologies - I should have said this - my assumption is based on the smattering of articles I've found online which indicate that at some point in 2021 it will open - likely in advance of the Expo and because with KWI T4, MCT, BAH and JED now open, AUH is effectively the 'pariah' of the region in terms of quality of terminal.
Old Mar 3, 21, 3:58 am
HB7

Interesting. However, wouldn't it be smart to delay the expo by another 12 months? Possibly to start right after the WC in Qatar? I don't see how they will get even 20% of the visitors they want or need to make this event memorable.
Old Mar 3, 21, 7:26 am

Originally Posted by HB7 View Post
Interesting. However, wouldn't it be smart to delay the expo by another 12 months? Possibly to start right after the WC in Qatar? I don't see how they will get even 20% of the visitors they want or need to make this event memorable.
One wonders if they can even do that, EXPO buildings are designed to last a certain period and or have uses after their time in Expo ends. A bit like the Tokyo Olympic village whose new residents want to take ownership of their flats. I agree though that people will still be too nervous to fly this year enough to warrant putting it on. Many can't wait to go somewhere but after a year at home is an Expo or a beach calling louder !
Old Mar 3, 21, 8:55 am
HB7

Originally Posted by Dogmatick View Post
One wonders if they can even do that, EXPO buildings are designed to last a certain period and or have uses after their time in Expo ends. A bit like the Tokyo Olympic village whose new residents want to take ownership of their flats. I agree though that people will still be too nervous to fly this year enough to warrant putting it on. Many can't wait to go somewhere but after a year at home is an Expo or a beach calling louder !
It is a good point of the buildings' life - however, there is a good chance travellers from most Asian countries, Australia and NZ will not even be allowed to travel this year. I would think an event such as this, which needs as many tourists as possible to flourish, would be wasted.
Old Mar 3, 21, 7:36 pm

I've always questioned who would want to fly potentially a very long distance just to go to an Expo. I mean, is it just me who can't even remember when and where the last Expo was?

I think the demand is massively overestimated by the authorities. I guess Covid gives them a huge face saving excuse for the turnout, but even without Covid I just don't think there would ever have been nearly the numbers they are hoping for / planning around.
Old Mar 3, 21, 7:52 pm

Programs: EK Plat; QR Plat
Originally Posted by stargold View Post
I've always questioned who would want to fly potentially a very long distance just to go to an Expo. I mean, is it just me who can't even remember when and where the last Expo was?

I think the demand is massively overestimated by the authorities. I guess Covid gives them a huge face saving excuse for the turnout, but even without Covid I just don't think there would ever have been nearly the numbers they are hoping for / planning around.
It was in Milan. 20-odd million people attended that one. Given Dubai attracts more tourists than Milan, I donít think their initial estimates were wild.

But with COVID, risks are magnified. Given the investments, they may just have to bite the bullet. October is a long way away in a pandemic, so letís see.

What Iím not buying is AUH, EY and Abu Dhabi somehow benefitting from the ExPo, or indeed even planning around it. I work in finance in the region, and the ExPo comes up often in Dubai (some solid analysis, and some wishful thinking), and nary a mention in Abu Dhabi.
HB7 likes this.
Old Mar 3, 21, 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by IntrepidAfrican View Post
It was in Milan. 20-odd million people attended that one. Given Dubai attracts more tourists than Milan, I donít think their initial estimates were wild.

But with COVID, risks are magnified. Given the investments, they may just have to bite the bullet. October is a long way away in a pandemic, so letís see.

What Iím not buying is AUH, EY and Abu Dhabi somehow benefitting from the ExPo, or indeed even planning around it. I work in finance in the region, and the ExPo comes up often in Dubai (some solid analysis, and some wishful thinking), and nary a mention in Abu Dhabi.
Okay, fair enough - I do remember hearing about the one in Milan. I thought there must have been once since Milan, but I see that the one in Astana was not a World Expo which is probably why I did not hear about it.

Either way, I agree that it's hard to predict how Covid will look by October. I can only hope that some travel will start to resume by the summer, but who really knows.
Old Mar 4, 21, 1:45 am
HB7

I think another point is that in normal times, Dubai has a lot of visitors. I would say a lot of those visitors may not initially know about the expo, or know about it and visit it in addition to the rest of their journey. I would imagine many visitors travelling through Dubai to another destination would add a day or two to visit the expo. If there was no Covid, I would have imagined it would have been very well attended and the authorities estimates would be on the money. But with Covid, that all goes out the window and in reality I think it is best postponed another year if they want to take real advantage of it.
Old Mar 18, 21, 9:26 am

Abu Dhabi Airports moves to pull MTB contractors' bonds over project delay

I am not informed enough to know what impact this might have...
Old Mar 19, 21, 10:03 am

Ouch, that's going to hurt those companys but then they have taken a while.... Having said that I've no idea if they have any legitimate reasons for the delays which they may well have. They must have already paid a fortune on extending those bonds out for the extra years and to now have to stump them up in full ! Ouch....
Old Mar 26, 21, 4:31 am

Programs: IHG Platinum Ambassador, Etihad Silver
There are now road signs from the airport to "Expo 2020", so I wouldn't be surprised if the new terminal opened just ahead of the Expo (as I have been saying all along).

Search this Thread
Search Engine: