AUH Midfield Terminal Opening

Old Jun 16, 20, 2:57 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum Ambassador, Etihad Silver
Exactly.

It's definitely not opening any time soon, and they will definitely want it open around Expo time. They won't want to lose face to Dubai.
Old Jun 16, 20, 5:39 pm

Opening it during such a busy period seems silly. I would think they'd want it up and running well in advance?
oreomilkshake likes this.
Old Jun 16, 20, 6:12 pm
HB7

Programs: BA Exec Club, SIA KrisFlyer, Qantas FF, Emirates Skywards
Originally Posted by pafnyc View Post
Opening it during such a busy period seems silly. I would think they'd want it up and running well in advance?
I completely agree with this. My bet is that it will be opening sometime in 2020.
Old Jun 17, 20, 4:17 am

Programs: Etihad Gold, Qatar Gold, flying Blue, Falcon, Lufthansa, Eva
Originally Posted by SinkOrSwim View Post
Exactly.

It's definitely not opening any time soon, and they will definitely want it open around Expo time. They won't want to lose face to Dubai.

What when they have reduced their airline to a basket case and have already demonstrated that they manage in a timely manner the refurbishment of their first class lounge and now open a new terminal on time
Old Jul 5, 20, 12:07 pm

Programs: Etihad Guest Platinum; Accor Platinum; Hilton Diamond
An interesting thought is that several people I know provided various kit like screens etc for the project in line with an earlier start date. All that kit is now out of date and equally out of Warranty, one wonders how wow factor it will have considering it was designed for 2017 wow rather than 2020 or even 2021 depending on when the doors finally open and whether they're redesigning loads of it on the fly?
Old Jul 5, 20, 1:44 pm

If anything, the problem is that it's too wow for the level of demand - at least the physical building itself. It was designed for the time when EY thought it was on its way to catching up with EK. So much has happened since then.

No-one likes an overcrowded airport, but I have a feeling that it will be just too eerily empty when it does open. It's cavernous inside, and I think it's going to feel like the most stunning white elephant in recent history.
IntrepidAfrican likes this.
Old Jul 8, 20, 6:46 am

Originally Posted by Dogmatick View Post
An interesting thought is that several people I know provided various kit like screens etc for the project in line with an earlier start date. All that kit is now out of date and equally out of Warranty, one wonders how wow factor it will have considering it was designed for 2017 wow rather than 2020 or even 2021 depending on when the doors finally open and whether they're redesigning loads of it on the fly?
There is a small video on YouTube showing the interior of the terminal. Id post a link but account wont let me.
Old Jul 24, 20, 4:03 pm

Wow - this says mid to late 2021. That seems incredible and wasteful on so many fronts.

https://www.trbusiness.com/regional-...to-2021/191280
Kevin Weldon likes this.
Old Jul 25, 20, 12:49 pm

Talking

Originally Posted by deltatrav View Post
Wow - this says mid to late 2021. That seems incredible and wasteful on so many fronts.

https://www.trbusiness.com/regional-...to-2021/191280
You know, I keep my subscription to this thread purely for the comedic effect. I have yet to be disappointed.
NoY and TPJ like this.
Old Aug 16, 20, 11:40 pm

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
Not great but found these vids

june 2019 trial video
June 2020 interior
Old Aug 22, 20, 1:37 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott Titanium
My last business trip before Covid took me to Abu Dhabi, first time flyer with Etihad. I remembered flying earlier to Abu Dhabi with BA and the departure terminal - guess T1 - was rather dull (ok the lounge was ok) so I had higher expectations once flying out with their flag carrier.

I was expecting something like T3 in Dubai or the new Doha airport - but holy bamboly this terminal was bad. Starting with the check in experience which reminded me more on airports like Berlin Schoenefeld or the old airport in Doha.

I was flying out on the 15th of March and the only place which was open in the terminal was a sports bar with sticky tables. Was flying in Y without status so could not access the lounge.

Ironically, the middle east branch of my company was using a picture of the midfield terminal for client presentations when I was living in Dubai (that was in 2015) so I thought the thing must be done by now - oh well, I saw at least the construction site while departing. In any case I found it incredible that an airline which has such a good in flight product/ aircrafts operates out of such a dump.
Old Aug 24, 20, 7:24 am

Take it with a pinch of salt, but I've heard on the grapevine that all ongoing work on the MTB has been stopped for a while now, and no signs of resuming anytime soon.
Old Jan 11, 21, 1:38 pm

any news?
Old Jan 13, 21, 8:15 am

Programs: IHG Platinum Ambassador, Etihad Silver
I've heard rumours that there are so many legal wranglings going on that it's not going to open any time soon.
Old Jan 13, 21, 8:54 am

That's sad - with Muscat, Doha, Bahrain and Jeddah open, sad for AUH to be left in the dust like that.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: