Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AUH Midfield Terminal Opening

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2020, 11:24 pm

Programs: EY Plat, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by stargold
Even under normal operations, Midfield would have been an eerie ghost town most of the day. You really have to see inside it to understand the sheer scale of it - there are 49 contact gates, which is even more than DOH, for a much smaller operation compared to QR.

Under the reduced scale operations for the foreseeable, T3 alone will probably be enough. They're not going to operate that huge terminal for a handful of flights per day. It just makes no sense.
The cobranded LCC's and EY will use the terminal and frequencies will be much higher. non partner airlines will operate from T3. (as ive ben alluded to)
Old Apr 24, 2020, 6:56 am

Programs: BA Executive Club - Silver (OWS)
Originally Posted by stargold
Even under normal operations, Midfield would have been an eerie ghost town most of the day. You really have to see inside it to understand the sheer scale of it - there are 49 contact gates, which is even more than DOH, for a much smaller operation compared to QR.
Remember it was scaled for the "future" EY before it started going down the pan.
Old Apr 24, 2020, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by kelix
The cobranded LCC's and EY will use the terminal and frequencies will be much higher. non partner airlines will operate from T3. (as ive ben alluded to)
The numbers for that scenario might have worked prior to Corona. Singapore, a hub airport that is actually fully utilised and busy, is shutting two of its four terminals for the foreseeable future (18 months in case of T2, which is one of SQ's two primary terminals) - this situation is not going to improve noticeably in a hurry. Where will the demand for the new LCC come from? The Subcontinent is going to be suffering from Corona for a significantly longer time due to the lack of infrastructure.

My guess is that traffic movement might be back to something resembling normal by the end of the year at the earliest, assuming no significant relapse in any of the major economies. Until then, Midfield will be just too big for the amount of traffic required, even if it was otherwise ready for opening.
Originally Posted by Speedbird676
Remember it was scaled for the "future" EY before it started going down the pan.
Exactly EY was already headed towards becoming a shadow of its former ambitions, and corona will accelerate that significantly.
Old Apr 25, 2020, 3:53 am

Programs: Etihad Gold, Qatar Gold, flying Blue, Falcon, Lufthansa, Eva
[QUOTE=stargold;32321833]The numbers for that scenario might have worked prior to Corona. Singapore, a hub airport that is actually fully utilised and busy, is shutting two of its four terminals for the foreseeable future (18 months in case of T2, which is one of SQ's two primary terminals) - this situation is not going to improve noticeably in a hurry. Where will the demand for the new LCC come from? The Subcontinent is going to be suffering from Corona for a significantly longer time due to the lack of infrastructure.

One thing you can not blame Etihad for is the effect of the covid19 outbreak. Remember that the experience of many new airports is that you need room to grow in the future - a classic example is Bangkok where they had to reopen the old airport so sure it may be underutilised at the outset and that can mean a far superior passenger experience assuming that things like security are properly organised
Old Apr 25, 2020, 7:02 am

Originally Posted by amnicoll
One thing you can not blame Etihad for is the effect of the covid19 outbreak. Remember that the experience of many new airports is that you need room to grow in the future - a classic example is Bangkok where they had to reopen the old airport so sure it may be underutilised at the outset and that can mean a far superior passenger experience assuming that things like security are properly organised
I certainly didn't intend to "blame" Etihad for the Covid outbreak, and they've already built the thing so it's definitely gonna be used - that much is clear.

The debate is whether the current situation will make ADAC want to open the Midfield sooner or later, and my last post was addressed to people speculating that this situation will somehow convince them to rush to open it ahead of schedule. All of the factors in the near to mid term point to delaying the opening, rather than opening it sooner.
seantheman likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 6:00 pm

Programs: Etihad Guest Platinum; Accor Platinum; Hilton Diamond
More and more aircraft are designed for point to point rather than hub operations. Many flights now leave India direct to the US where it wasnt previously possible

One wonders then in the future where we want to limit mingling, how much we want to transit through a hub of potentially sick people

Air Arabia got its license this week to operate, it would be ultimate irony that it replaces terminal 2 rather than terminal 3 !!!
Old Apr 30, 2020, 3:00 am

One thing to add to this debate on the timing of the opening is the fact that there might be advantages to opening the terminal at a time of low usage cast your minds back to the opening of T5 at heathrow or Hong Kong. Any problems will be on a lesser scale and there will be time to get things working seamlessly

BBC NEWS | UK | What went wrong at Heathrow's T5?
https://www.nytimes.com/1998/07/09/b...g-airport.html
https://www.airport-technology.com/f...minal-opening/
NoY likes this.
Old May 1, 2020, 10:27 am

Programs: IHG Platinum Ambassador, Etihad Silver
Nope, no way they will open it this year. That sort of logic is not widely applied in this part of the world anyway. They have been desperate to find an excuse not to open it and now they have one.

It's go two massive (and growing) piles of excavated sand right outside the main entrance anyway
Old May 27, 2020, 8:21 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Diamond Ambassador
The smart move is to open it now; perhaps only using a single loaded pier.
That way once capacity starts building back up there has been an extended ORAT and everyone knows how to operate efficiently in the new Terminal
Old Jun 9, 2020, 3:37 pm

any news on dates? does seem like perfect time to open..
Old Jun 10, 2020, 4:06 am

Originally Posted by pafnyc
any news on dates? does seem like perfect time to open..
They probably did not read my earlier post saying exactly that it really is the perfect time for an on the ball management
Old Jun 10, 2020, 11:38 am

hah. I certainly agree with/see your point on this
Old Jun 11, 2020, 12:17 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum Ambassador, Etihad Silver
There is still a lot of work going on on site. My guess is it will be opening around Expo 2021 or I will eat my hat live on here.
Old Jun 12, 2020, 3:44 am

Originally Posted by SinkOrSwim
There is still a lot of work going on on site. My guess is it will be opening around Expo 2021 or I will eat my hat live on here.

Do you mean that they will open it during what one might expect to be one of the busiest periods? Now that would be breathtakingly stupid unless it was being built by the Singaporeans who would probably pull it off
Old Jun 12, 2020, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by amnicoll
Now that would be breathtakingly stupid
[...]
That alone makes it so much more likely.
SinkOrSwim likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.