Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AUH Midfield Terminal Opening

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2022, 3:54 am

Programs: Etihad Guest Platinum; Accor Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SinkOrSwim
I have a feeling the opening is imminent. They have almost finished putting the new drainage pipeline in down to the channel near Yas, and there has been an absolutely insane amount of landscaping being done this week in a real hurry, over an extensive area on all the newly-finished roads leading up to the new terminal. Everything is being tidied up and it looks like the construction is pretty much done now.

Plus, there's another thread saying 6 A380s are coming back by the end of this quarter. Coincidence?

I'm going to place my bet now that this terminal is due to open at the end of this quarter.

NB I have no inside info - it's just a hunch.

I looked forwards to see if an 3 are bookable on the LHR route and found nothing so far, I do hope so
Old Apr 1, 2022, 2:37 pm

"Originally slated to open in 2017, the Midfield terminal has been hit by a series of embarrassing delays. In 2019, the Midfield terminal was claimed to be more than 97 per cent complete. On Sunday, the airport confirmed that zero progress had been made in the last three years and the building remains in the same state as it did before the pandemic."

Just found this article dated Jan 2nd 22, nothing done for 3 years is pretty embarrassing, still nothing out there suggesting an actual date as yet sadly
TPJ and jaejaez like this.
Old Apr 8, 2022, 1:49 am

Programs: IHG Platinum Ambassador, Etihad Silver
They're still finishing off a pipeline (which discharges into the sea) and there's been loads of landscaping and finishing work going on around the roads leading up to it. I don't believe that nothing has happened in 3 years as it's been a constantly active constriction site throughout. I still think it will open this year.

The rather convenient new excuse for recent delays is probably the alleged Houthi bombing of the construction site in January.
Old Apr 8, 2022, 2:11 am

Programs: EK Plat; QR Gold
They're still finishing off a pipeline (which discharges into the sea) and there's been loads of landscaping and finishing work going on around the roads leading up to it. I don't believe that nothing has happened in 3 years as it's been a constantly active constriction site throughout. I still think it will open this year.

The rather convenient new excuse for recent delays is probably the alleged Houthi bombing of the construction site in January.
Saving face is just as important as the body of work left (which by almost all accounts isn’t substantial, and hasn’t been for a while now).

The folk in Abu Dhabi are acutely sensitive to negative comparisons with Dubai in particular, and other major cities in the region in general. They will only open the airport if they feel it does not look like a white elephant. With Eithad continuing to struggle, this is a challenge. While this year is not impossible, I have doubts that will happen. Spoken to multiple people directly involved in the project (from financing to construction) and they all say the same.

As for work progress, I believe it was the airport itself that announced in January that there has not been any work done in the last two years (from memory).

Happy to be proven wrong, but I’ve spent the last decade and a half doing business in the region, and Abu Dhabi doing strange things has been the near-constant.
blue2002 likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2022, 12:28 pm

Yes my quote was from the airport itself apparently, perhaps they were referring to the terminal itself as opposed to the surrounding infrastructure which as described here has been worked on quite a bit especially the link roads
Old Apr 12, 2022, 8:12 pm

... and there's been loads of landscaping and finishing work going on around the roads leading up to it.
It does not have to function, but it must be pretty. This is the way.
Old Apr 13, 2022, 12:24 am

Programs: EY Platinum
Pretty on the surface, broken underneath.
Old Apr 13, 2022, 12:56 am

Originally Posted by Dogmatick
Yes my quote was from the airport itself apparently, perhaps they were referring to the terminal itself as opposed to the surrounding infrastructure which as described here has been worked on quite a bit especially the link roads
Road works in the UAE are another whole conversation, but essentially that’s a form of pork barrel politics where companies owned or controlled by locals are given rolling contracts to “repair” roads that are in perfect shape, or build roads that aren’t particularly necessary. They money has to to keep flowing to keep certain families happy, but handouts look bad.
Old Apr 13, 2022, 7:07 am

The MTB access roads are/were being built by China State, so in this case it is just the garden variety horrendous construction delays, rather than anything more nefarious.
Old Apr 13, 2022, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by stargold
The MTB access roads are/were being built by China State, so in this case it is just the garden variety horrendous construction delays, rather than anything more nefarious.
It’s nigh impossible for foreign construction companies to do major work without local partners. It’s pretty much a pre-condition.
Old Apr 13, 2022, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by IntrepidAfrican2
It’s nigh impossible for foreign construction companies to do major work without local partners. It’s pretty much a pre-condition.
But that has nothing to do with the fact that the MTB roads have always been heavily delayed in construction from the beginning, even more so than the terminal itself until just before Covid (when they finally caught up somewhat).

I'm not sure what you're really trying to convey about MTB roads in particular, rather than roads in the UAE generally.
Old Apr 13, 2022, 3:23 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
There is still a lot of work going on on site. My guess is it will be opening around Expo 2021 or I will eat my hat live on here.
About that hat....
NoY, seanp7, jaejaez and 3 others like this.
Old Apr 15, 2022, 11:36 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum Ambassador, Etihad Silver
Originally Posted by steveholt
About that hat....
Unfortunately I no longer own a hat of any description
kelix, steveholt and JayCee1966 like this.
Old Apr 16, 2022, 8:18 am

Unfortunately I no longer own a hat of any description
Happy to provide one lol
kelix and SinkOrSwim like this.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by stargold
But that has nothing to do with the fact that the MTB roads have always been heavily delayed in construction from the beginning, even more so than the terminal itself until just before Covid (when they finally caught up somewhat).

I'm not sure what you're really trying to convey about MTB roads in particular, rather than roads in the UAE generally.
I’m trying to convey that road works ongoing have absolutely nothing to do with the actual opening. You need roads to open, but roads being built / rebuilt or repaired doesn’t mean that the opening is imminent or happening.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.