Wiki Posts
Search

Status now worthless for opups

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2019, 9:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF Plat, KL Plat, TK Gold, WY Gold, Bonvoy Tit
Status now worthless for opups

Check-in today at CMB, flight overbooked in Y. Great - even though I quit EY in late 2017 my Platinum card is valid until 06/2019.

Provide the agent with my EY number and it's confirmed as Platinum. Ask her if there's any chance for an op-up and she calls over the supervisor.

"Sorry Sir, upgrades as of last year are not available based on Platinum or Gold status. They are now based on customer value, A, B, C etc." What's that? I ask him to check whether I fall under any of these categories. No.

How about paid upgrade? No, wrong fare class.

So much for that. Switch back to my Flying Blue number. Was a bit sentimental for a moment but things still seem to be getting worse.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 10:16 am

Programs: EY
Originally Posted by EFATO
Check-in today at CMB, flight overbooked in Y. Great - even though I quit EY in late 2017 my Platinum card is valid until 06/2019.

Provide the agent with my EY number and it's confirmed as Platinum. Ask her if there's any chance for an op-up and she calls over the supervisor.

"Sorry Sir, upgrades as of last year are not available based on Platinum or Gold status. They are now based on customer value, A, B, C etc." What's that? I ask him to check whether I fall under any of these categories. No.

How about paid upgrade? No, wrong fare class.

So much for that. Switch back to my Flying Blue number. Was a bit sentimental for a moment but things still seem to be getting worse.

Out of curiosity, what were the categories they mentioned?
Old Mar 20, 2019, 3:49 pm
Original Poster

Literally "a, b & c". Or it might have been "1, 2, & 3". Nothing more sophisticated than that, though. He referred to it as something like "VIP status depending on customer value"
Old Mar 20, 2019, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EFATO
Literally "a, b & c". Or it might have been "1, 2, & 3". Nothing more sophisticated than that, though. He referred to it as something like "VIP status depending on customer value"
Many airlines/reservation systems have a method of ranking customer value. A lot more than status. Money spent is the driver.

https://www.learn.amadeus.com/Course...1389671325.htm
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 9:18 pm

Programs: ey gold tg gold accor gold
Is that based on per calender year or per month , or another factor ( UAE residents as an example ) . It really is beggars belief how this boutique airline has gone from top 10 to below air a "....' as an example .
NoY likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 2:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Many airlines/reservation systems have a method of ranking customer value. A lot more than status. Money spent is the driver.
Well in my case my EY spend for 2018 was $0. However, I was top tier on EY Guest for 10 years, sometimes doubling the Platinum qualification requirement. This would have been a prime opportunity to win back a customer who has shown loyalty in the past and who, like many others, abandoned the airline completely over the course of 2017/8.

Current revenue numbers are a limiting metric in EY's position, where they are attempting to win back old Platinums who are no longer flying (e.g. double status mile offers).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.