Rumor: Etihad to join Star alliance

Old Feb 23, 19, 9:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum Pro | Hyatt Globalist | HH Diamond | SPG Gold
Rumor: Etihad to join Star alliance

TPG is reporting on Facebook that Ethiad will join star alliance very shortly.

heres a link to another site reporting this
https://onemileatatime.com/etihad-united-partnership/

text from the FB post

RUMOR: Etihad to join Star Alliance, leave American partnership. As early as the end of March.

Multiple sources leaking this info, seems semi-solid at this point. A lot of ramifications obviously but I expect the larger blogs to pick this up by the morning.

- If you are looking at Etihad avail to book with AA miles. BOOK NOW
- Expect availability to disappear tomorrow/Monday or Etihad to immediately cut off AA bookings.
- I can see a situation where Etihad makes A380 apartments not bookable through Star Alliance partners; a la Singapore.
- IMO this is a move for Etihad to extract themselves from the current financial hardship.

No other details at this point and this is by no means confirmed. Will keep this post updated as we go.

Last edited by Shadowfactor; Feb 24, 19 at 7:03 am
Old Feb 23, 19, 11:22 pm

Programs: TK E+, RJ P
Can you provide a link?
Can’t find this rumor anywhere on FB.
Old Feb 23, 19, 11:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum Pro | Hyatt Globalist | HH Diamond | SPG Gold

Old Feb 24, 19, 3:03 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), AA OWS (Plat Pro), EY Silver (compted), IHG Plat
It would be good to have EY in *A, but I have doubts it will happen.

Also - they cannot just just *A - they need to prepare - be able to recognize all FF programs & tiers (and other *A carriers to recognize EY FF numbers/tiers). They need to be able to access Star Hub to book awards etc. Normally it takes up to 12 months for this to happen.
Old Feb 24, 19, 5:23 am

This would be a very positive move IMHO, and a definite asset to *A. OW already has Qatar, so this would help to level the playing field. I'm certain some of the *A partners would be up in arms, but LH and TK have been playing (relatively) nice lately, so I hold out hope that this will actually materialize.
Old Feb 24, 19, 8:02 am

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
I reckon I would end up booking 50% of my long haul travel with Etihad if they joined *A. Would even consider joining their FF program if the mile earnings and rewards chart look good.
Old Feb 24, 19, 8:07 am

I heard this rumor multiple times over the past few years and nothing has ever happened.
Old Feb 24, 19, 6:44 pm

Joining Star Alliance isn't as simple as "applying and you're approved". Applicants have to go through the process including being voted in unanimously by the existing full members.

Will EY's current financial situation be able to absorb the *A joining fees, ongoing membership expenses, plus the one-off expenses of upgrading the computer systems.

Seeing that SQ sees EY as a rival on the 'Kangaroo Route' despite both having a minority stake in Virgin Australia, another question is will SQ use their 'veto' to deny EY *A membership?

Edit: I can see a UA/EY codeshare partnership (or JV) being plausible, however *A is probably less likely considering the rumours of this keeps popping up every year with no result.
Old Feb 24, 19, 6:55 pm

Alternatively, it may be that the rumors heard over the years originated from negotiations under way. If so, when it actually happens, it won't be a matter of "apply and you're approved" but the end point of a long process. (If AI can get into *A, how tough can the process really be?)
Old Feb 25, 19, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Platinum: KL Gold: A3 Rust: BA
Originally Posted by agjil View Post
I heard this rumor multiple times over the past few years and nothing has ever happened.
This.

And they can dump AA and get into bed with UA without having to join an alliance (They didn't need to join oneworld to partner with AA).

Unless *A is so desperate to have Etihad in the fold that they waive all fees and charges - and pay for the work necessary to integrate the airline - I just don't see the logic of it, for Etihad. (At the very most, "Star Connect might be as far as you could expect EY to eventually go).
Old Feb 25, 19, 8:57 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly View Post
Alternatively, it may be that the rumors heard over the years originated from negotiations under way. If so, when it actually happens, it won't be a matter of "apply and you're approved" but the end point of a long process. (If AI can get into *A, how tough can the process really be?)
Etihad joining *A was a hot topic last July when the Lufthansa group picked up Air Berlin carcass. So far it seems some shady deals were made to get money back by undisclosed codeshare deals in Europe and MRO deals to utilize the workshop in AUH. Joining any alliance would be rather costly and Etihad has to unwind its association with AF-KL and equity participation in AZ. They just increased their stake in 9W, who is a direct rival to potential *A partner AI.

Speaking of AI, their integration into *A took over 5 years and was called off at least twice.
Old Feb 27, 19, 8:11 pm

any news/updates?
Old Mar 1, 19, 6:20 pm
Suspended

Isn't the point of these alliances is it increase profits so any costs are paid for via increased revenues?
Old Mar 2, 19, 5:37 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Etihad Gold, IHG Platinum, IC Ambasador, Marriott Gold, Taj Gold, Radisson Gold
There is a downside too. They would have to shed a few of their current alliances
Old Mar 4, 19, 7:57 pm

Programs: EC Blue, EB Silver, FB Gold
What advantages would Etihad add? If I were a Star Alliance member airline CEO I would veto them.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: