FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Etihad Airways | Etihad Guest (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/etihad-airways-etihad-guest-692/)
-   -   Has Etihad noticed I don't fly them anymore? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/etihad-airways-etihad-guest/1945113-has-etihad-noticed-i-dont-fly-them-anymore.html)

akalra1187 Dec 10, 2018 8:08 pm

Has Etihad noticed I don't fly them anymore?

Last year I spent £128,439.29 on Etihad.

The question is do they realise I have stopped flying them?

Those who have also stopped flying them, I suggest you post your last year spend below, and hopefully someone from Etihad will realise we will not accept these cuts.

Dubh Dec 10, 2018 9:42 pm

I did take an Etihad flight last week, in economy. First since last February. I watched the crew upsell to a guy who wanted to move to one of the empty legroom seats once boarding was complete. I was embarrassed for both him and the crew. Well done to Etihad for squeezing that 400AED out of him. He probably won't be back.

Last year's spend - circa $45K.

LonghornDXB Dec 11, 2018 3:53 am

I live a 10 min walk away from Etihad HQ, and AUH is a 5 minute drive away, yet I have not flown EY in last 2.5 years

No money mentioned, but it does prove the point ...... : )

SeeBuyFly Dec 11, 2018 10:57 am

Etihad has a crack team of Big Data experts studying the spending patterns of Very Important Passengers, and certainly their software will notice when one of those passengers stops flying Etihad. An overwhelming response is planned for any day now---keep your phone switched on.

flightcrew1 Dec 11, 2018 6:47 pm

I was wondering the same thing if EY had noticed that I'd stopped flying them. My spend has been:

2016 85,000 USD

2017 73,000 USD

2018 25,000 USD

My last flight with them was in April and I have been trying various carriers. Mainly I fly BKK to LHR or BKK to DUB and have now tried QR, EK, AY and BA. Surprisingly BA has been pretty good though they use an ancient 777 out of BKK and AY has been great as it's a A350. I'm sad to leave them but it's been downhill ride very quickly the last 2 years with them.

For me the final nail in the coffin was when my family (2 sons, Silver) who fly to the UK twice a year and wife (Gold) 3 times a year had to start paying for economy seats with no preference for status.

No thanks.

LostAntipod Dec 12, 2018 1:08 pm

Last few years, I’ve been piling my Amex membership rewards into my EY Guest account to book LHR-SYD return award seats in J , on the A380 at Xmas time. Once that becomes too hard, I will easily flip over to another airline and am certain I will pay less for a cash fare than EY have been recently asking for.

Last Xmas, Qatar upgraded me to F for DOH-SYD , and back again (and I only have silver OW status via BA, whereas even when EY Plat I was never upgraded ). I fully intend to wear my Qatar F PJ’s on my EY flight to SYD this year, since EY don’t do PJ’s in J ( and will only try to sell me PJs from the F cabin).

yapak2 Dec 17, 2018 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by LostAntipod (Post 30528332)
I fully intend to wear my Qatar F PJ’s on my EY flight to SYD this year, since EY don’t do PJ’s in J ( and will only try to sell me PJs from the F cabin).

LOL to that....:-)
i reckon my employer spend around 30k€ in 2017 on my trips with EY. And roughly same amounts on 2 of my colleagues stationed in same country in Europe and working in same/similar capacities.
This year, our collective spend must have come down to 2-5k€ a head max. EY business is mostly lost to QR and TK in my case.
We must have around 75 colleagues in Europe in total, that would/could use EY flights to India and further East for business related travel. Not sure how these colleagues preferences have changed, if any.
But all this is indeed sad. I still hold a sweet spot in my heart for EY. but frankly....what for? QR to anywhere India offers better aircraft, more consistent service and the whole OW advantage.

jaejaez Dec 18, 2018 4:54 am

They may be losing customers like us who are fed up with slipping service levels and penny grabbing tactics.

but at the same time I am also aware that lots of government agencies based in Abu Dhabi, which contribute a lion's share of Etihad's revenues have had increased travel spend with recovering oil prices throughout 2018.

This equates to thousands of more seats sold this year as opposed to prior years for EY, since all AUH's government agencies will only deal with EY, regardless of the various 'enhancements' we had seen from EY.

I get a sense that EY does not have try 'as hard' as some of the other airlines given that a large share of their revenues are more or less 'guaranteed' as they are the go-to airline for any government related organizations that need to fly its employees out on business.

amnicoll Dec 20, 2018 12:37 am

Sad to see I was a great fan of Etihad Business class but gone elsewhere. As you rightly say Ethihads marketing is so poor that there has been no attempt to understand why I have gone through market research and no attempt to woo me back

just flown with MAS and apart from the bind of having to go to Heathrow I was very pleased with them

jamiegutz Dec 21, 2018 5:02 pm

Im no big spender on EY like some of the others, but I have been platinum for the past three years (around 4 or 5 J/F trips between Asia, ME and UK), and this year I have no motivation to renew it and have only done one EY flight this year.

My reasons:

Obvious cost cutting measures
Inability to select a different seat in Y as a platinum member (even during check in!)
Dreadful food (The first and only time I have sent a meal back is on EY J class last year ..... a salmon terrine, which I can only describe as compressed fish flavoured sand!)
Last week I couldnt book an award ticket on a partner airline because it was their 'day off'.
Dropping the chauffer service
F Lounge in AUH was great when it opened, now its rubbish.
J Lounge is even worse (When you look at the likes of Qatar J Lounge in DOH, EY should be embarrassed)

On of the few good things about EY are the apartments, which I absolutely love. Unfortunately thats not enough to keep me flying them. Having Platinum was also useful on partner airlines. When I was based in MNL it made flying PAL almost bearable!

Im due to be in the UAE early Jan, and just had my company book me on EK despite having no status (although am trying my luck to match my status from EY, although my understanding is they will probably offer me silver).

Its a real shame .... EY used to be so good.

iolani Jan 2, 2019 9:00 am

Spent about USD 70'000 in 2016, USD 60'000 in 2017, USD 0 in 2018.
Did however get a reminder/promotional offer on Nov 30th (!) to double tier miles (only 90'000 missing!) to avoid loosing my status. How realistic is that? As data mining tools are used by all airlines it seems to be purely a lack of marketing management skills (or culture).
Main trigger to discontinue flying with them were (apart from client service) worsening flight connections from Europe into JNB.

EYrevanchist Jan 3, 2019 10:50 am

2017: US$ 12,827.12

2018: US$ 5,283.00

All the good fares to MAA ex-AUH gone in J :rolleyes: Lounges worldover closed down, catering cost-cut, style and shave gone, arrivals lounge trimmed beyond belief…

Times have never looked worse, fares too!
Heres to hoping 2019 ends the blockade of Qatar *insert bottle of nv Krug here*

tommy123 Jan 3, 2019 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by EYrevanchist (Post 30604780)
2017: US$ 12,827.12

2018: US$ 5,283.00

All the good fares to MAA ex-AUH gone in J :rolleyes: Lounges worldover closed down, catering cost-cut, style and shave gone, arrivals lounge trimmed beyond belief…

Times have never looked worse, fares too!
Heres to hoping 2019 ends the blockade of Qatar *insert bottle of nv Krug here*

strange how Qatar haven't done a status match to lure future customers , while under the pressure their in .....One answer could be , the airline is run by professional people who understand their customers needs , not the boffins that continue to ruin Etihad , with all their statistics and cost cutting nonsense

amnicoll Jan 3, 2019 11:39 pm

When the chauffeur was taken away we were told prices would come down to reflect this. Knew it was a lie

BobFF68 Jan 4, 2019 1:18 am

I've never spent as much as reported above but in any case around 10 K USD each for the last 3 years, my family trip to MXP on June 18 has been the last, apart reducing their fare deals in term of frequency and discount, since the last 4-5 months they removed from their web site all saver and even semi flex J fares from CGK to MXP, only offering "Promotional" full flex now at 5K USD. They are now pricing almost double comparing QR, TK, EK and even SQ, not even mentioning WY. Who the hell is going to buy such crazy fares? It is marketing madness or just IT incompetence in loading fares? I already moved to QR and soon I will fly WY.