Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Etihad Airways | Etihad Guest
Reload this Page >

Missed flight due to bad weather. Etihad is considering it as no show

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Missed flight due to bad weather. Etihad is considering it as no show

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2018, 11:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
It is entirely practical. While New Jersey - JFK Is not the most intuitive route via public transport and it is not exactly the sort of journey one wants prior to a lengthy flight, it is certainly doable. There are, of course, public transit delays, but it would be rare for rail delays to be of the type OP encountered. Sometimes the greatest challenge is getting from a suburban or rural location to the nearest train station. One still needs a taxi or car service for that, although hopefully asking a friend or neighborhood to drive might be doable if the roads were passable at all.

All of this is largely irrelevant. While this was a fast-moving storm which was worse than predicted, when it became apparent that this was a more serious storm than when predicted, OP should simply have departed a good 3 hours earlier.
This is usually practical but not on that day. Like you mentioned, that day the greatest challenge was to get to the train station, even it was just 1.5 miles from my place, I still needed to get there via roads and that day to cross that 1.5 miles, it took 4-5 hours for the people who i knew were stuck there.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 11:41 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for providing feedback. There has been definitely learning from this episode.

I know it is probably not Airline's fault either but I feel that they should have been bit more accommodating here and allow me to re-book the flight without penalty. Every time I called them, they were rude and spoke in a way where they don't want to help. Also if people think that I should have been more proactive in informing them, I just came across another person who called Etihad 3 hours prior to flight time and requested to off board, was still not taken off board and considered as no show.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 11:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by erik123
There would have been no viable public transport option from New Jersey to JFK that afternoon. The impact of the storm was not considered serious until after most traffic came to a halt - and thus too late. Subways mostly ran but with delays, some cancellations, and severe overcrowding. It is hard to explain the severe impact to someone who wasn't here. Please google it.

The OP should persist and move up the food chain as EY front line employees have zero authority to help.
Thanks for the suggestion, This is absolutely right, it seems they have zero authority to help. How do I reach out to someone who has more authority?
Old Nov 20, 2018, 4:20 am

Programs: Etihad Gold, Qatar Gold, flying Blue, Falcon, Lufthansa, Eva
I would agree with you that in the circumstances that Etihad might have been more accommodating on allowing the re booking
Old Nov 27, 2018, 7:56 am

Programs: w/+1: AS MVPG; IHG/Marriott Plat; Hilton/BW Diamond; Hertz Prez; SG Silver
Originally Posted by amnicoll
it is your responsibility to get to the airport not the airlines (mind you not sure where you would stand with Etihad chauffeur).

This is exactly what travel insurance is for
I know it is not the case here, but does travel insurance reimburse more than the cash portion of an award ticket?
Old Nov 27, 2018, 8:20 am

Programs: AA Plat
can you substantiate that claim
Very common to get free rebooks in US. Google flat tire rule (which is a courtesy and not a rule per se).

With that being said, all bets are off with foreign carriers and I agree EY is in the right here.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kapilrshah
This is usually practical but not on that day. Like you mentioned, that day the greatest challenge was to get to the train station, even it was just 1.5 miles from my place, I still needed to get there via roads and that day to cross that 1.5 miles, it took 4-5 hours for the people who i knew were stuck there.
1.5 miles in 4-5 hours? Most people could hoof it in far less time even with luggage.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 8:48 am

It wasn't a tornado. You had ample warning that bad weather was coming, yet you sat on your duff at home instead of going to the airport. It seems this flight was not that important to you or else you would have made sure you were there on time despite inclement weather.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 9:23 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, HHonors Diamond, United Plat
Originally Posted by Disneymkvii
It wasn't a tornado. You had ample warning that bad weather was coming, yet you sat on your duff at home instead of going to the airport. It seems this flight was not that important to you or else you would have made sure you were there on time despite inclement weather.
Like another poster implied, the impact was not felt until people were on the roads. I am in NJ and local governments did not anticipate the storm to escalate so fast. I left work early at 3pm hoping I would be home in an hour and my normal 40 minute commute took 3 hours. One of my friends took 2 hours to drive home 8 miles. I had colleagues stuck on the gridlocked roads for as long as 10 hours.

Easy to diss the OP when you weren't there.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 11:11 am
Suspended

It is normal for airlines to close check in on schedule even when departure is delayed - real pain if everyone knows well in advance the plane is going to be 3 hours late but you still have to check in in time
especially at an airport with limited flights by the carrier as the counters will be used by many carriers the same day, prolonging the presence at the couynters will delay the next carrier being able to checkin their passengers
Old Nov 27, 2018, 3:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Did you check in online? Or does EY requires a visa check at the check-in desks?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.