9 hrs layover in J

Old Nov 14, 18, 7:42 am
Original Poster

9 hrs layover in J

Have a layover from 1am to 10:20am between two long-hauls (6hrs+) flights. Don't really fancy staying in the lounge for 9 hours.

I appreciate there's probably not much to do at those hours and most people seem to recommend getting a room at the Premier Inn. However, given that:
1. I don't particularly need to get lots of sleep (plenty of time to do that on the flights)
2. I have the free chauffeur service to and from the airport anyways
3. Traders Hotel, Qaryat Al Beri is the same price as Premier Inn that night.

Do you think it's worth staying at the Traders hotel instead? My mains attractions are:
1. Just strolling along the beach
2. Getting some decent views/photos of the Grand Mosque both at night and day time, from distance, and may be get a taxi to just outside the mosque, as it'll be closed during my visiting hours.

PS: Any tips for fast-tracking though immigration for business class traveler, and when I should arrange for hotel pick-up? Was thinking 8am.
Old Nov 14, 18, 10:16 am

Not worth it in my opinion.
Old Nov 14, 18, 6:05 pm
Zol
Moderator: Emirates Skywards and Qatar Airways Privilege Club

Programs: EK Gold|EY Gold|Bonvoy Ambassador| IHG Plat|HHonors Diamond
You can do as you suggested but to be honest by the time you have disembarked, cleared immigration, picked up the CD and arrive at the hotel you could be looking at 2 am best case if not later. Depending on your inbound you could be bused and if you need your bag that arrival time will go to 3am at which point even the hotel bars will be shut (probably 2.30am last order anyway). So yo u can nap, wake up early for breakfast and a stroll on the beach but not worth it for a couple of hours in my opinion unless you have other thoughts in mind.

You get a fast track card onboard before you land, should be quick enough through.
Old Nov 15, 18, 8:12 am

Not worth it.
Old Nov 21, 18, 4:32 pm

Programs: Etihad Guest Platinum; Accor Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Pay $100 and sit in the first class lounge !
Old Nov 21, 18, 6:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dogmatick View Post
Pay $100 and sit in the first class lounge !
Surely $100 is better spent on a hotel room where I have an actual bed & private room and bathroom?
Old Nov 22, 18, 3:41 am

Programs: Etihad Guest Platinum; Accor Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by 77Wer View Post
Surely $100 is better spent on a hotel room where I have an actual bed & private room and bathroom?
Or silver service food, a very well stocked bar and a lounging area. Horses for courses, I drink heavily lol
Old Nov 22, 18, 11:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dogmatick View Post
Or silver service food, a very well stocked bar and a lounging area. Horses for courses, I drink heavily lol
Fair enough, If I had to stay in a lounge that long, at those hours, I will probably fall asleep pretty quick, after a couple of drinks. So I didn't think I would get much value out of food and drinks in the 1st class lounge. Also would probably prefer to nap on a flat bed, rather than a lounging chair!