Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Neighbour-free seats

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2018, 2:03 am
Original Poster

Neighbour-free seats

I’m flying AUH-BNE return (14 hour flights) and looking at bidding to secure Neighbour-Free Seats in economy. I have found many articles announcing this initiative, but very little in terms of Customer feedback/reviews. Does anyone actually bid for seats?

I am trying to determine whether the chances of winning a neighbour-free seat are in line with the halfway mark on the sliding scale/bid meter thing (i.e. is Etihad’s estimate accurate?), and whether bidding on 2 seats is even necessary considering I keep reading about the low occupancy rate on Etihad. The slider is currently accepting bids between €100 and €310 per seat.

Thanks!
Old Nov 11, 2018, 4:35 pm

Programs: ey gold tg gold accor gold
Don't bother , for the simple reason , if an incoming flight ìs delayed and incoming passengers are forced onto your flight , to make the next available flight , your screwed ......ive witnessed this loads of time , normally Auh-Lhr ...they will guarentee your bid is sucsessfull then charge you ...if no delayed flight , you may be lucky ....if not your loss
Old Nov 11, 2018, 4:46 pm

Plain English don't do it
Old Nov 12, 2018, 2:10 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by tommy123
Don't bother , for the simple reason , if an incoming flight ìs delayed and incoming passengers are forced onto your flight , to make the next available flight , your screwed ......ive witnessed this loads of time , normally Auh-Lhr ...they will guarentee your bid is sucsessfull then charge you ...if no delayed flight , you may be lucky ....if not your loss
Surely if they charge you for this and then someone is seated next to you, you are entitled to a refund?
Old Nov 12, 2018, 3:07 am
Original Poster

Thanks both. I did read an account of someone who had to persist to claim the money back when the seat they bid on (and won) was given to another customer...so I assume it is possible to make a claim.

Interested to know the % of passengers who do actually make bids...
Old Nov 12, 2018, 3:42 am

Programs: HH Diamond, EY Gold, AY Silver, MR Plat
Originally Posted by eugegall
Surely if they charge you for this and then someone is seated next to you, you are entitled to a refund?
Yes, you would think so. In reality, its not so simple. It happened to me AUH-BKK when a passenger sat next to me because their IFE was not working. There were no spare seats on the plane and the cabin crew suggested that he sat next to me. I complained after (nothing I could do at the time). They offered me 2000 miles, which I declined they then offered 5000 miles as a final take it or leave it offer. I couldn't be bothered arguing any further, so I accepted. Never again for me.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 10:53 am

I am at this time in the lounge in AUH , having just arrived on EY12 from LHR . The flight was empty on the A380 , probably less than 100 in Y . On my connecting flight EY 406 to BKK , that also is empty ( I've just moved myself from 17K to 39D and guaranteed 4 seats ) What amazes me is it's high season to Asia now , and Etihad are flying empty 777s to BKK , clearly the new marketing plow by the boffin's high up ( by charging for this and that ) is going to fail miserably.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 4:18 am

Programs: OWE, *A-G, EY Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by eugegall
Originally Posted by Travelbees
Thanks both. I did read an account of someone who had to persist to claim the money back when the seat they bid on (and won) was given to another customer...so I assume it is possible to make a claim.

Interested to know the % of passengers who do actually make bids...
I’ve just had this happen to me. Row of seats blocked but at no point in the airport checkin, lounge or gate was I told. Four seats had the reserved sign for me but still given away.

Completely typical of the p!$$poor approach EY have to dealing with customers. Will be interested to see what they say regarding getting my money back
Old Nov 16, 2018, 4:44 am

Originally Posted by flying_fozzy

I’ve just had this happen to me. Row of seats blocked but at no point in the airport checkin, lounge or gate was I told. Four seats had the reserved sign for me but still given away.

Completely typical of the p!$$poor approach EY have to dealing with customers. Will be interested to see what they say regarding getting my money back
good luck with the refund , you will probably have to send several e-mails
Old Dec 31, 2021, 10:01 am
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
Can I just buy an extra coach seat at booking for comfort/space, like on US airlines? The coach fare I’m looking at is cheap enough to make this worthwhile, but I can’t find it mentioned on the EY website except as a note about large musical instruments which I won’t have. Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.