Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Food options in business class

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2018, 6:37 am
Original Poster

Food options in business class

Flying LHR-AUH for the first time in business class. Flight departs 14:05, which means I'll probably have my main meal around 4-5 hours into the flight (dinner time in UK). I have a busy schedule that morning, so not sure if I will have enough time to eat lunch in the lounge before boarding. Question is, will I be able to order anything off the menu at the beginning of the flight as well, or just a subset of the menu i.e. the "dine anytime" part. I'm slightly confused by the terms on here, "dine on demand", "dine anytime", not sure if they're the same thing, and not sure if they're only available on certain flights nowadays.

Related questions:
- Is the food in LHR lounge any good? Better to skip that and eat on the plane if not enough time?
- Is the meal arrangements the same on AUH-BKK business class?
- I have a 9 hour layover in AUH (1am to 10:20am). Best options to kill time? Stay in business class lounge? Airport hotel? Get a hotel in the city and squeeze in a little bit of sightseeing between 6-8am?
Old Nov 7, 2018, 1:10 pm

Programs: Executive Platinum
I recently flew Business from SYD to AUH and then AUH to ORD. For our flights the dining anytime meant that you could order any meal (breakfast, Lunch, or dinner) from the menu as many times as you wished at anytime.
The Business Class Etihad Lounge in AUH is very nice if you wish to use that option.
77Wer likes this.

Last edited by jagoffee; Nov 8, 2018 at 10:16 am Reason: stupidity
Old Nov 7, 2018, 3:29 pm
Original Poster

thanks jagoffee
Old Nov 7, 2018, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by jagoffee
I recently flew Business from SYD to AUD and then AUD to ORD. For our flights the dining anytime meant that you could order any meal (breakfast, Lunch, or dinner) from the menu as many times as you wished at anytime.
The Business Class Etihad Lounge in AUD is very nice if you wish to use that option.
AUD = Augustus Downs Airport, Australia.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 4:06 pm

Programs: Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
AUD = Augustus Downs Airport, Australia.
My bad. I meant AUH.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 4:50 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG & Accor Plat...
On the food: LHR lounge has decent a la carte food (go to the back past the bar and turn left). I recently took the flight you are on, when they took my order after take off I told them what time I would like the meal - not a problem.
On the stopover: there is a premier inn at the airport, and a small airside hotel inside the terminal (literally you can see the doors into its rooms (cubicles?) as you walk by, it’s very small but probably functional - can’t remember the name, suggest googling it). Sunrise is about 0630 at the moment so given the city is about 30 mins drive away , you’ve got a small window to see anything. I would probably get some kip and then use the lounge before flying out.
77Wer likes this.

Last edited by LostAntipod; Nov 7, 2018 at 4:51 pm Reason: Spelling
Old Nov 7, 2018, 10:37 pm

Programs: ey gold tg gold accor gold
Personally I would make my way straight to the lounge by gate 36 , it turns very quiet at around 3am , find yourself one of the more relaxing chairs , which are past the bar on the right ( grab a couple of large ones on route ) and sleep for a few hours . On awakening , take a quick shower in the spa and then enjoy breakfast in the lounge . I wouldn't bother going into Abu Dhabi , it's a good 30+ minutes drive to the Corniche , to watch the sunrise and even longer getting back in traffic ....Regarding AUH-BKK , there is no dine on demand on this route , so I would eat well in the lounge, then ask the cabin crew on board to save some cheese and biscuits for later in the flight ( they've always done this for me , it's not as if anything has to he prepared ) .
77Wer likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 4:32 am
Original Poster

Thank you guys for very helpful suggestions. Glad I signed up to post on here. Great community you have here!
Old Jun 22, 2021, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Is there dine on demand on short-haul or narrowbody flights? It seems a lot of trip reports indicate that those flights serve meals at a set time.
Old Jun 22, 2021, 11:32 am

From my pre pandemic experience there was never dine on demand on any of the short haul flights I took, narrow body or widebody, it was meals at a set time with one or two options on the menu.

I'm not sure how Business class dinning is now, is it back to normal like it was pre pandemic or are there still differences?
Old Jun 27, 2021, 1:55 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by BigDaz
From my pre pandemic experience there was never dine on demand on any of the short haul flights I took, narrow body or widebody, it was meals at a set time with one or two options on the menu.

I'm not sure how Business class dinning is now, is it back to normal like it was pre pandemic or are there still differences?
I just flew yesterday from AUH-JFK and what a below average experience it was across the board. Dining was already in free fall pre covid but even more so now. My guess is they’ll keep these covid “enhancements” for as long as possible as a way to save on costs.

flight attendants were rude and the catering was abysmal. There are only two meal services, right after takeoff and right before landing with everything served on a single tray. There was a snack service which consisted of a turkey sandwich (size of my palm) and Kit Kat’s.

I honestly think the food in coach on Asian carriers is miles better than EY J. So besides the seat which is already an aging product, you’re much better flying Qatar or even Emirates
Old Jun 28, 2021, 11:03 am

Did they at least serve cocktails?
Old Jul 7, 2021, 1:11 am

I flew AUH-LAX back in 2019 in Business, and flew ZRH-AUH-MLE a few days ago. I can say the food was just as good as it was back then, and I still think Etihad food is superb.

Below is the food my travel companion and I got from the recent flights:

ZRH-AUH Chicken machaboo, was delicious. The dessert was also superb, and the bread was nice and warm. The Mezze was as good as last time.

ZRH-AUH Herb crusted lamb, perfectly cooked and still pink inside. A little drier than preferred, but very good for airplane meat (even better than the ribeye and fish from Swiss F that I just came from)

ZRH-AUH served right before landing: Roast beef sandwich with potato and turnip, was also good! Too much bread so I took the top side off.

AUH-MLE, Keep in mind this was only a 4hr flight so there was only one meal. This was a lamb, goat cheese tart with carmelized onions, and it was also delicious!

All in all, Etihad business, imo, does food better than many carriers I've tried, including EK F, KE F, JL F, and better than some dishes from LX F, of course SQ F is still better (I don't have enough J experiences to directly compare) Then again, I have a natural affinity for middle eastern food and spices. Service was also great! For each leg, a flight attendant personally welcomed me onto the flight, and checked up on me during the flight, AND personally said good bye to me before landing. AUH-MLE was even a completely full flight! Hope this helps.

I always think Etihad is unfairly trashed on. Perhaps I never experienced Etihad during its "golden days", but they do a great job even right now.

Last edited by gbongc; Jul 7, 2021 at 1:18 am
Old Sep 25, 2021, 10:13 am

Programs: AS MVPG75k, AA Plat
Has anyone tried Business Hindu non veg meal? I am thinking of doing this for an AUH-Europe breakfast flight, not particularly inspired by the usual menu.
Old Sep 25, 2021, 4:05 pm

Programs: Etihad Guest Platinum, BA Bronze, And EK silver
Does anyone if the food in J has reverted back to any time dine menu? I last flew AUH to IAD and they had set meal times only. Not sure if it was due to covid or cost cutting measures!?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.