Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Etihad Airways | Etihad Guest
Reload this Page >

EY22 (MAN-AUH) whole business cabin broken. Delayed.

Old Sep 28, 2018, 3:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BD*G, BAGold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat

Waiting for EY22 To depart. Been delayed with no explanation why for 1.5 hours. They just called all J pax and explained the entire cabin is broken and asking they can either downgrade to economy or fly on tomorrow’s flight.

Unfortunately I will now miss my connection. I have never heard of an entire cabin being broken before. Seems very odd.

On another note.. how is EY with IRROPS? I will likely miss my flight to BKK unless they hold back the flight.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 3:39 pm

Not sure how an entire cabin can be broken - if I was to take a wild guess, a large entourage of VIPs who need all the J seats actually seems more likely.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 3:43 pm
Ambassador: Emirates
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: QF P1 + LTS, EK Gold, BAEC Gold, QR Gold, IHG Ambassador
‘The Cabin is broken’. Ought to give a clue at how EY go with IRROPS.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 3:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stargold
Not sure how an entire cabin can be broken - if I was to take a wild guess, a large entourage of VIPs who need all the J seats actually seems more likely.
No VIPs. Genuinely seems to be broken. Still not boarding 2hrs10 after departure time. Suspect something like cabin lighting or power supply to cabin is broken?? Seems very odd whatever it is (although does seem genuine)

Originally Posted by sydtogla
Uh oh....
Old Sep 28, 2018, 3:49 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by sydtogla

None of the ME3 are well-regarded for their IRROPS handling, though you'll definitely eventually get to your destination, MAN to BKK connection I could almost imagine being held as I'd imagine lots of connecting pax, though generally airlines don't hold back flights. I'd ask to be rerouted on EK or if suitable to you from another airport in the UK with appropriate positioning via train or another flight, e.g. LHR, if that is quicker.

Edit: Perhaps something related to the oxygen masks and them being able to deploy, and emergency lighting? Though this could also affect part of the Y cabin if their nearest exit is through the J cabin...

They didn't even offer to fly in the seats as-is, without recline or anything?
Old Sep 28, 2018, 4:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by skywardhunter

None of the ME3 are well-regarded for their IRROPS handling, though you'll definitely eventually get to your destination, MAN to BKK connection I could almost imagine being held as I'd imagine lots of connecting pax, though generally airlines don't hold back flights. I'd ask to be rerouted on EK or if suitable to you from another airport in the UK with appropriate positioning via train or another flight, e.g. LHR, if that is quicker.

Edit: Perhaps something related to the oxygen masks and them being able to deploy, and emergency lighting? Though this could also affect part of the Y cabin if their nearest exit is through the J cabin...

They didn't even offer to fly in the seats as-is, without recline or anything?
Boarding now. Will ask for EK unless they offer J on the next EY flight (seems unlikely given there’s only 1 seat left) . Must be a safety issue as they were not offered to fly in the seats as-is.

The only upside is i is I should be able to get 600euro compensation if I I miss my next flight under EU261 (will try with one email and they will probs say no then just send it to one of the EU261 recovery companies and let them have their cut)
Old Sep 28, 2018, 10:49 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by pogonation

Boarding now. Will ask for EK unless they offer J on the next EY flight (seems unlikely given there’s only 1 seat left) . Must be a safety issue as they were not offered to fly in the seats as-is.

The only upside is i is I should be able to get 600euro compensation if I I miss my next flight under EU261 (will try with one email and they will probs say no then just send it to one of the EU261 recovery companies and let them have their cut)
can't you also get 75% of your fare back since you had a forced cabin downgrade?
Old Sep 28, 2018, 11:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by expert7700
can't you also get 75% of your fare back since you had a forced cabin downgrade?
I was flying Y. In AUH now. They have flat out refused to offer an alternative with emirates. Have been put on EY402 13 hours later. Compensation due under EU261 denied and directed to send email (fat good that will do). Oh well wouldn’t expect more from most airlines to be fair.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 5:18 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by pogonation
I was flying Y. In AUH now. They have flat out refused to offer an alternative with emirates. Have been put on EY402 13 hours later. Compensation due under EU261 denied and directed to send email (fat good that will do). Oh well wouldn’t expect more from most airlines to be fair.
You don't get that paid at the airport. You'll need to claim. If EY refuse, you can claim via MoneyClaim online or CEDR. There's a dedicated thread for this (with a wiki) on the BA forum. Have a look on there as it applies to all airlines flying from the UK.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 9:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
You don't get that paid at the airport. You'll need to claim. If EY refuse, you can claim via MoneyClaim online or CEDR. There's a dedicated thread for this (with a wiki) on the BA forum. Have a look on there as it applies to all airlines flying from the UK.
Thanks for this. I will look up that thread for advice. I have used MCOL before and it was rather painless so would be happy to go down that channel.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 10:13 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There is nothing to claim until you actually arrive (late) at your final ticketed destination. Don't get airport personnel involved in compensation issues. It only gums things up.

Make a claim for EUR 600 and, if you were downgraded, 75% of the base segment fare for MAN-AUH (although as I read your posts, you were booked in Y).

If you are not paid in some reasonable time period, just file an MCOL claim. It will require a Letter Before Action (form on the MCOL website), but is easy and quick. Unlikely to be contested once you initiate.

Don't resort to a bottom feeder claims agency. Will cost you 25-33% of the loot for something which should take you 10 minutes to complete.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 10:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
There is nothing to claim until you actually arrive (late) at your final ticketed destination. Don't get airport personnel involved in compensation issues. It only gums things up.

Make a claim for EUR 600 and, if you were downgraded, 75% of the base segment fare for MAN-AUH (although as I read your posts, you were booked in Y).

If you are not paid in some reasonable time period, just file an MCOL claim. It will require a Letter Before Action (form on the MCOL website), but is easy and quick. Unlikely to be contested once you initiate.

Don't resort to a bottom feeder claims agency. Will cost you 25-33% of the loot for something which should take you 10 minutes to complete.
Some good advice. Thanks. To be fair I had never used an agency before and assumed it would be about 10% but all I could was 25% + VAT (ie 30%). Definitely worth doing MCOL myself to save 200euros.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 3:24 pm
Original Poster

Just sent an email asking for the 600euros. I also suggested that as an alternative I would accept a return upgrade Y-J on UK-Asia. Sent the email to etihad guest, etihad complaints form and to etihad facebook. Any others worth sending it to in order to get a quicker reply?
Old Oct 9, 2018, 4:32 am

Programs: Etihad Gold, Qatar Gold, flying Blue, Falcon, Lufthansa, Eva
many years ago (before the days of EU flight delay rules) I was my EVA flight was cancelled due to BA breaking the plane was put up overnight at Heathrow and transferred the next day to a Thai flight but downgraded

Was very surprised on checking in for return flight to be handed a brown envelope with compensation and an apology -
Old Oct 14, 2018, 9:37 am
Original Poster

Got an email 4 days later offering 600euros or 750euros etihad credit that expires in 12 months. I accepted the real cash and gave them the bank details they requested. Got a reply today saying I will have the money in 21-30 days.

Happy with the outcome but 21-30 days for a bank transfer.. really!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.