Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Etihad Airways | Etihad Guest
Reload this Page >

OTA booking - Does it affect chance of op-up

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2018, 8:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: BD*G, BAGold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat

Just wondering if booking through an OTA rather than direct through Etihad will affect chances of an op-up (if I got lucky). Can save about £50 on a Y fare through OTA but maybe not worth the little saving if it puts me at the bottom of the pile? I am Gold.

Understand that people may not know the answer to this but worth an ask.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 10:45 am

Programs: QR Gold, WY Gold, TK Elite, EY Silver,
Each time I did get an op-up was after online check in, thus in my experience it doesn't matter.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 1:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: Etihad Gold, Emirates Gold, SPG Gold, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by BobFF68
Each time I did get an op-up was after online check in, thus in my experience it doesn't matter.
OTA means online travel agent, not online check in, but I don’t know the answer,

I’d speculate that it only makes a difference what fare class you buy i.e. Breaking Deal, Saver, Classic or Flex, not who you buy it from, and OTAs will sell from all fare buckets so worth checking.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 7:47 am

Programs: QR Gold, WY Gold, TK Elite, EY Silver,
Originally Posted by akalra1187

OTA means online travel agent, not online check in, but I don’t know the answer,

I’d speculate that it only makes a difference what fare class you buy i.e. Breaking Deal, Saver, Classic or Flex, not who you buy it from, and OTAs will sell from all fare buckets so worth checking.
My bad, I definitely misread as OLCI as it is the most common question, also not sure as I ever booked directly. I also guess there is no relation between OTA and direct booking and op-ups.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 11:45 am

It doesnt make any difference if booked via OTA or Direct or at least it didn't . Who knows what other changes are being done behind the curtain
Old Sep 25, 2018, 3:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BD*G, BAGold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
Thanks for all the replies. Also nice to know that OLCI shouldn’t make a difference since that is important to ensure a decent Y seat (which is more than likely where I will actually be sitting). Who would be the best person to ask about trying to get a free row or is that a bit cheeky?
Old Oct 1, 2018, 1:59 am

Programs: QF Plat, VA Plat, BA Gold
No relation between OTA and Op-UP. I've been upgraded quite a few times when my booking was booked via OTA.

I sometimes ask the lovely ladies in the AUH F lounge about best Y seats available - twice I've been upgraded then and there!
Old Oct 1, 2018, 10:56 am

Programs: ey gold tg gold accor gold
Originally Posted by pogonation
Thanks for all the replies. Also nice to know that OLCI shouldn’t make a difference since that is important to ensure a decent Y seat (which is more than likely where I will actually be sitting). Who would be the best person to ask about trying to get a free row or is that a bit cheeky?
try at check in , or on board . Works most of the time with me . I was on a flight from AUH-LHR last week and they moved me from 83D to 40A once on board , the emergency exit front row on the A380 .Another trick is to check the seat map and check -in late , most of the passengers would have their seat assigned already , so pick a row with nobody sat in it

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.