Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Etihad Airways | Etihad Guest
Reload this Page >

Etihad Cutting AUH/JFK to once daily starting October 1st

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2018, 6:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: Miles and Smiles Elite, EY Silver, VS Silver

Etihad will begin only once daily service between Abu Dhabi and JFK, effective October 1st 2018. They will continue to offer the A380 6x weekly and the 777 1x weekly on Tuesdays. They will also be moving both Paris flights to the A380 effective October 1st, 2018.

Just another worrying move for EY and makes me (and probably others) wonder what is going to be the next cut
Old Jun 5, 2018, 6:46 am

Wow, surprised.

Thankful that they've kept the A380.. I have a flight in F at the start of October, for the mid morning flight (and just checked; they've moved the other one). Going to be a busy flight, now!
Old Jun 5, 2018, 7:04 am

Just received notification my flight was cancelled and changed to a later flight 8 hours later which will make me misconnect on a seperate booking with Dellta
Old Jun 5, 2018, 7:55 am

Programs: TK E+, RJ S, AZ E
Wow. Just compare it to EK which has 5 daily flights to NYC (3 nonstop, 1 via MXP and 1 via ATH).
Old Jun 5, 2018, 7:58 am

Programs: Avis Trump. Costco Exec. SPG PLAT PREM-90. WN A+/CP. AA SLV. Nat EE..
This is scary. I got lucky this time but I’ve got a few months to go and maybe there will be more cuts. There a good insurance to cover trips mostly paid with points?
Old Jun 5, 2018, 8:04 am

I was just about to put this award on hold yesterday! Maybe it's a good thing that I didn't end up doing it.

I wonder if you were on hold, if they would put you on the next flight or just be SOL since it wasn't ticketed.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 9:23 am

I got screwed by this change...omg.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 12:30 pm
jbb

Programs: SQ *Gold
I’ve also been affected by this on the return portion of a JFK-SIN flight in J. My original 3h50min connection in AUH is now just over 11 hours overnight. Will Etihad cover a hotel, airport transfers and meals for this new 11hr overnight layover? Emirates does provide that for their overnight long layovers when travelling in J and F.

Old Jun 5, 2018, 6:57 pm

Programs: AA Gold Elite
Just booked an award in Business from JNB to AUH on their a330 then in First AUH to JFK on the 380 in November. Hope nothing else gets cancelled. Wonder if I should try for Emirates instead on an award to be safe.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 10:51 pm
Original Poster

I am not entirely sure, but I think EY does have some form of an EY Stopover for J and F. Additionally, for an increase from 4 to 11 hours, especially in a situation where they messed up your reservation by cancelling a flight, they should cover something like that. You can try posting in the EY Lurker/Etihad Help thread
Old Jun 6, 2018, 5:27 am
jbb

Programs: SQ *Gold
Thanks @ss1710. I will be calling their reservations line and asking about hotel/meals/ground transfer. Judging by their website and their "Premium Stopover" program, I should be able to get a hotel, but not sure about the meals and ground transfer. In any case, I am seriously considering taking the opportunity of the schedule change to just cancel the whole ticket, get a full refund and booking on another carrier.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 5:02 am

Programs: QF Plat, KL Plat, TK Gold, WY Gold, Bonvoy Tit
What are they going to do with the aircraft that these cuts free up? Park them or lease them?
Old Jun 7, 2018, 5:33 am

Programs: Etihad Guest Platinum
Originally Posted by EFATO
What are they going to do with the aircraft that these cuts free up? Park them or lease them?
2X Daily A380 to Paris instead - EY Website News .

So there may be spare capacity for other shorter EU/Asia routes for the A380s as AUH-CDG is considerably shorter than AUH-JFK...!
Old Jun 7, 2018, 6:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JayCee1966

So there may be spare capacity for other shorter EU/Asia routes for the A380s as AUH-CDG is considerably shorter than AUH-JFK...!
Do you think they'd consider moving the A380 back onto the Mumbai - Abu Dhabi route? They operate with just about every type of widebody aircraft they have: 77W, A330-3/2, 789, and until they retired them the A346 as well. I fly the route a fair amount and I have seen the J cabin fairly full a decent amount of the time. They had taken the 380 off the route for not being able to fill the premium cabin, but could be possible they are seeing more demand now.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 7:37 pm

Also impacts our flights later this year, MEL>AUH>JFK. but still on the A380 AUH>JFK leg. They did however change both flights times... leaving Melbourne 11.15pm, and with a 4hr stopover in AUH so not that bad.

If they kept us on the same earlier MEL>AUH flight, would have meant a 10hr layover.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.