Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Change Fees / higher fare

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2018, 10:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
Change Fees / higher fare

Hi all, I feel I should know this, but....

Had a friend who had to fly out urgently to Sydney as her dad was dying. He's lasted a bit longer than expected, so she wants to extend the stay. She booked Etihad (from UK) on Etihad.com - a W Class Business Fare - i'd checked the change details in advance as I knew she may have to change dates on return (she wanted BA, but EY cheaper, better and with more flights, so I assumed greater availability to return).

The fare conditions were:

FOR W- TYPE FARES

Changes £205 (£226 within 96 hours of travel)
Cancellations £407
(There may have been other conditions I didn't take a snapshot of).

She's now in Sydney and wishing to extend her stay by a couple of weeks. There is plenty of W Class availability on the new flights she wants.

However, they are now asking for £205 fee plus £1656 fare difference.... but

a) she's already left the UK - which is what the fare basis is about - if W class is available on the return it's a simple change (isn't it?)
b) checking current fares - a W Class return to Sydney is actually now £200 cheaper than what she paid. So what is the Fare Difference?

She's trying online, and a quick call with the Sydney office. I'm quite clued up with these things, but struggling to explain. She can't afford the extra, and it's purely to be with her dad until the end of his life.

Also, it was my recommendation for her to fly on Etihad, so I feel a responsibility to help. And advice?
Old Apr 19, 2018, 11:43 am

That sounds strange. The fare rules do not seem to have a restriction that wouldn't allow it. I think she'd have better luck with the Sydney office - though the call might be re-routed to a clueless agent in AUH?
Old Apr 19, 2018, 3:27 pm

It sounds like they may be charging a one-way fare for the return, given that the round-trip fare is no longer applicable. It does not seem right, but I am not sure what the rules are.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 9:42 pm

Programs: QR Gold, WY Gold, TK Elite, EY Silver,
Do not rely at all on the online system for changing dates, just phone the customer support number. During last 2 years I ever changed dates for my trip in different occasions on Z and H fares, even it was always before onward flight. The online system always showing wrong repricing that always includes the fare difference with the highest fare even when same fare is available, I've always solved by calling the contact center and paying just the change fee (if any) according to the original ticket rules.
Sure, you need to be patient as the whole process takes quite long, you may stay at the phone 30-40 minutes, thus be prepared, they have to login your booking, check the new dates availability (you need to tell them clearly the new dates, do not phone if you are not sure about it as it is useless) wait for the system to respond with new itinerary and relative additional charges to pay, once everything agreed submit the payment detail, credit card number or whatever and at the end your new ticket will be sent by email.
To make sure not paying fare difference just make sure in advance, before calling, that new schedule has availability as per original fare.
Hope it can be of any help.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 3:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
Thanks everyone. So overnight I told her to HUTA (Hang Up Try Again) if she didn't get the correct answer.

And voila, on her 4th call (1st overnight after 3 the day before to SYD,AUH & LON) they rebooked her for the correct fee as per the fare rules without any issues at all.

She was so angry that this simple process had caused her so much grief at such a stressful time (I had advised her which flights had availability so the agents were spoonfed) she wants to complain about one agent who was rude to her.

I've told her not to bother, she can fly someone else next time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.