Community
Wiki Posts
Search

QR to EY Turn at CMB (separate PNR's)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2018, 10:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP (LT Plat 2MM), Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat75, UA1K
QR to EY Turn at CMB (separate PNR's)

Traveling on the return leg of the CMB-PHL Biz Class sale fare in August. Arrive Colombo at 3:20pm on QR and the out at 9:20pm on EY. Was hoping to just use the Transit Hotel - really don't feel like going through immigration then waiting for check-in to open and repeating the process. Have read mixed experiences in getting the transit desk in CMB to be able to check-in and print BP's. Does anyone know if this is possible or am I stuck entering Sri Lanka just to head right to the main check-in area?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Old Apr 9, 2018, 11:36 am
Suspended

Programs: Etihad Gold, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by ORDPLATAA
Traveling on the return leg of the CMB-PHL Biz Class sale fare in August. Arrive Colombo at 3:20pm on QR and the out at 9:20pm on EY. Was hoping to just use the Transit Hotel - really don't feel like going through immigration then waiting for check-in to open and repeating the process. Have read mixed experiences in getting the transit desk in CMB to be able to check-in and print BP's. Does anyone know if this is possible or am I stuck entering Sri Lanka just to head right to the main check-in area?

Everything is excellently taken care of in CMB and the service will be beyond your wildest wet dream as an AA plat based in ORD
Old Apr 9, 2018, 7:37 pm

Programs: QFF, AA, LM, EY

I did something similar last year.
Travelled MLE-CMB on cheapest available UL Y fare.
Then had a separate ticket to get me home CMB-AUH-MEL on EY F.

Actually UL and EY do happen to have an interline agreement and upon check-in for my UL Y flight at MLE I was offered to have my bags checked all the way to MEL. I told them that I needed access to them at AUH (had a 21 hour layover). But wasn't a goer. They could either check my bags to CMB or MEL, but not AUH. So I went with CMB.

Upon arrival at CMB, I tried to see if staff at the EY transit desk could help me out without having to pass through immigration but they couldn't assist.

So had to pass through immigration, take my bags, go through customs, exit arrivals hall then enter again to the departure hall and start again. But process was pretty painless and didn't take alot of time, though I had built in sufficient time to allow for delays etc (think I had approx 8 hours at CMB).

Transit desk however could be a possible goer if you have no check in luggage though ?
This wasn't an option for me since I was travelling with the wife lol
Old Aug 1, 2018, 7:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP (LT Plat 2MM), Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat75, UA1K
Originally Posted by Nizar
I did something similar last year.
Travelled MLE-CMB on cheapest available UL Y fare.
Then had a separate ticket to get me home CMB-AUH-MEL on EY F.

Actually UL and EY do happen to have an interline agreement and upon check-in for my UL Y flight at MLE I was offered to have my bags checked all the way to MEL. I told them that I needed access to them at AUH (had a 21 hour layover). But wasn't a goer. They could either check my bags to CMB or MEL, but not AUH. So I went with CMB.

Upon arrival at CMB, I tried to see if staff at the EY transit desk could help me out without having to pass through immigration but they couldn't assist.

So had to pass through immigration, take my bags, go through customs, exit arrivals hall then enter again to the departure hall and start again. But process was pretty painless and didn't take alot of time, though I had built in sufficient time to allow for delays etc (think I had approx 8 hours at CMB).

Transit desk however could be a possible goer if you have no check in luggage though ?
This wasn't an option for me since I was travelling with the wife lol
Traveling with carry-on bag only so that's not an issue. And I downloaded the EY app so I will online check-in and get mobile BP's so hopefully that will suffice. Would certainly like to get paper BP's as I will be in F so will need to get lounge invitations, etc. Staying at the transit hotel in CMB - but applied for/received a Transit visa just in case I need to go outside to check-in with EY.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 10:58 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Traveling with carry-on bag only so that's not an issue. And I downloaded the EY app so I will online check-in and get mobile BP's so hopefully that will suffice. Would certainly like to get paper BP's as I will be in F so will need to get lounge invitations, etc. Staying at the transit hotel in CMB - but applied for/received a Transit visa just in case I need to go outside to check-in with EY.
I am doing the same thing in a few days and was wondering what your transfer experience was going from QR-EY in CMB. Thanks!
Old Oct 17, 2018, 3:44 pm
Zol
Moderator: Emirates Skywards and Qatar Airways Privilege Club

Programs: EK Gold|EY Gold|Bonvoy Ambassador| IHG Plat|HHonors Diamond
In my experience there isn't an easier airport to do the turnaround in other than CMB. The arrivals and departures mix in the international transit area, you would not need to pass immigration unless you wish to retrieve bags and re-checkin but as long as you are on hand luggage only then its seamless. There is also a plethora of lounges to choose from.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 2:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Zol
In my experience there isn't an easier airport to do the turnaround in other than CMB. The arrivals and departures mix in the international transit area, you would not need to pass immigration unless you wish to retrieve bags and re-checkin but as long as you are on hand luggage only then its seamless. There is also a plethora of lounges to choose from.
Should have posted a follow up on this. Worst transit I have ever had. Arrived into CMB with a day room at the transit hotel. Headed to the transit desk on arrival and was told to come back to the desk about 2.5 hours before departure to get BP's. Went to the transit hotel (ugh) and caught a little sleep. Went to the transit desk and was told no, come back two hours in advance as the ticket counter wasn't open yet. Came back at the 2 hour mark and was told that they would have to call down and someone would be back up in an hour with BP's. At this point I was a bit nervous as I didn't want to get stranded in CMB so I pushed the issue. Only when the transit desk realized that I was a Business/First Class pax on EY did they actually start to put some effort into this. They finally connected with someone at the ticket counter and they found my reservation, verified that I had arrived on QR and that I didn't have checked bags. I was then told I could use the lounge and my BP's would be brought to me. Lounge was a disgrace. When nobody brought my BP's at the 60 minute mark before departure, I checked with the board looking lounge dragon and she searched through the stacks of papers on the desk and handed me my BP's without any acknowledgement - just a bored, vacant look in her eyes.

To make matters worse, we used a bus gate in CMB. I went to the gate when it opened, recleared security and then sat and waited for boarding to commence. And waited. And waited. And waited some more. Didn't realize that EY doesn't board J until Y has boarded. So all of the premium pax sat in a hot, cramped departure lounge versus sitting on an air conditioned plane having a PDB.

Thank god the EY flight in The Apartments from AUH to JFK was A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!!!
Old Nov 3, 2018, 11:21 am

Programs: IHG Platinum Elite, AS MVP Gold 75K, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Should have posted a follow up on this. Worst transit I have ever had. Arrived into CMB with a day room at the transit hotel. Headed to the transit desk on arrival and was told to come back to the desk about 2.5 hours before departure to get BP's. Went to the transit hotel (ugh) and caught a little sleep. Went to the transit desk and was told no, come back two hours in advance as the ticket counter wasn't open yet. Came back at the 2 hour mark and was told that they would have to call down and someone would be back up in an hour with BP's. At this point I was a bit nervous as I didn't want to get stranded in CMB so I pushed the issue. Only when the transit desk realized that I was a Business/First Class pax on EY did they actually start to put some effort into this. They finally connected with someone at the ticket counter and they found my reservation, verified that I had arrived on QR and that I didn't have checked bags. I was then told I could use the lounge and my BP's would be brought to me. Lounge was a disgrace. When nobody brought my BP's at the 60 minute mark before departure, I checked with the board looking lounge dragon and she searched through the stacks of papers on the desk and handed me my BP's without any acknowledgement - just a bored, vacant look in her eyes.

To make matters worse, we used a bus gate in CMB. I went to the gate when it opened, recleared security and then sat and waited for boarding to commence. And waited. And waited. And waited some more. Didn't realize that EY doesn't board J until Y has boarded. So all of the premium pax sat in a hot, cramped departure lounge versus sitting on an air conditioned plane having a PDB.

Thank god the EY flight in The Apartments from AUH to JFK was A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!!!
Thanks for posting your experience, and sorry it was so rough. That airport (and all the processes therein) is in major need of an upgrade.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.