Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Etihad Airways | Etihad Guest
Reload this Page >

How long for points redeposit after cancelled award?

Old Dec 10, 2015, 12:27 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Hello all
Does anyone have any experience with how long it takes for Guest Miles to be redeposited after cancelling an EY award?

Thanks
Old Feb 18, 2016, 12:54 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Bronze
Bumping this, because I'm also wondering. I cancelled a ticket during the last week of December and am still waiting. I have other flights I want to book and do need the miles.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 9:30 pm
NoY

Programs: SQ, EY, QR, BA, ITA, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Amex Plat, Marriott
IME this can be a real problem. You not only must call them to cancel but you MUST also tell them to refund the miles & cash element. If you do not you will not get anything back. This has happened twice to me now. A dumb process (naturally ) but there you have it. Once actioned by them it can take anything from a week or two to....whenever!
Old Feb 20, 2016, 12:26 pm

I did exactly what NoY said at the beginning of January, still no refund.
Old Feb 26, 2016, 2:29 am
Original Member
Original Poster

The points for my cancellation from December has not been refunded either - really inefficient!
Old Feb 26, 2016, 3:31 am

Programs: HH Diamond, EY Gold, AY Silver, MR Plat
As above. Mine were never refunded either. They originally said upto 14 days. I only got them back because I persisted. I dont think I would have got them without lots of phone calls and complaining.
Old Feb 26, 2016, 10:13 am

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Bronze
Originally Posted by eddibabyyeah
As above. Mine were never refunded either. They originally said upto 14 days. I only got them back because I persisted. I dont think I would have got them without lots of phone calls and complaining.
I'll be making call #3 tomorrow. I don't want to dispute the charge for the taxes though before I get my miles back into my account.

It's things like this which really prevent an airline like EY to poach a customer like myself who is fed up with his other options.
Old Feb 28, 2016, 2:41 am
NoY

Programs: SQ, EY, QR, BA, ITA, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Amex Plat, Marriott
Originally Posted by NoY
IME this can be a real problem. You not only must call them to cancel but you MUST also tell them to refund the miles & cash element. If you do not you will not get anything back. This has happened twice to me now. A dumb process (naturally ) but there you have it. Once actioned by them it can take anything from a week or two to....whenever!
Got my latest refund back at exactly 2 weeks.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 9:47 am
wdc

when you cancel an award that was paid with miles & cash, do you get the miles you purchased back or just the cash?

Thanks
Old Nov 1, 2016, 8:04 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Diamond
Bump on this. I cancelled an award. They sent me an email confirmation with pdf files attached. 10% penalty on miles used. But taxes to be refunded back onto credit card used. Seems like itll take 2 months for it to occur?
Also, when they refund the miles, does the expiration gets renewed? or does it follow the old expiration date
Old Nov 1, 2016, 9:11 pm

Programs: DL, Hilton, National
I had a lengthy conversation about this with an agent last week. He knew the answers with confidence, so I think he knew what he was talking about. He said that if I canceled an award, he would process the money right away and it should be refunded within a day or two.

He then said that normally the miles would be redeposited within 15 days. But that he could send an email to the department and ask them to redeposit, but that it would be about 3-5 days rather than 15. He said there was no chance of a same day redeposit.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 7:07 am

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Originally Posted by paterwdb
I had a lengthy conversation about this with an agent last week. He knew the answers with confidence, so I think he knew what he was talking about. He said that if I canceled an award, he would process the money right away and it should be refunded within a day or two.

He then said that normally the miles would be redeposited within 15 days. But that he could send an email to the department and ask them to redeposit, but that it would be about 3-5 days rather than 15. He said there was no chance of a same day redeposit.
Very frustrating. I'm at nearly 3 weeks since cancelling an award. The taxes were credited within a day or two, but the miles have still not been returned despite multiple calls. The latest agent sent an email to ask for the redeposit; that was yesterday, but given this track record I don't have much faith that it will work.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 10:37 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by snic
Very frustrating. I'm at nearly 3 weeks since cancelling an award. The taxes were credited within a day or two, but the miles have still not been returned despite multiple calls. The latest agent sent an email to ask for the redeposit; that was yesterday, but given this track record I don't have much faith that it will work.
On the same boat as you... It has been almost 2 months since I cancelled. The taxes refunded in 1-2 days. Points still missing (I wonder if the expiration date gets pushed up too since I cant use it since it hasnt been returned!!). I did make a followup call a few wks ago and all the agent said/did was that he will contact/message the dept that handles the points refunds to make it a priority... still nothing. Will prob give a call again in the new yr
Old Oct 23, 2017, 6:58 am

Cancelled an award and they are telling me one month. It took 2 weeks for my TY points to arrive at Etihad. I lost a sweet Brussels Bus. ticket at the old rate due to the 2 weeks and due to the hurricane I had to cancel and now losing great AA metal flights to Europe. All total 6 weeks without use of my points. I will never again use Etihad directly for anything, regardless of bonus.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 8:37 am

Just a data point for others. I had to cancel an IST>AUH award due to visa situation between US and Turkey. Etihad redeposited the miles in under two weeks and fees were refunded in about three days. No interaction required of me at all other than the cancellation of the ticket of course. It would have been nice to have an instant refund but still not bad.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.