Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Shave Facility-GONE

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2018, 3:06 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Dogmatick
I'm gutted that it has gone, the manicurists (paid service) were really very good and always a good chat. Plus I thoroughly recommend tipping the bar staff if you fly often. They come find me with fresh drinks and top ups wherever I am in the lounge (no not the toilet for those hurrying to type that) as very very few people ever tip and on sight my old fashioned is being prepared on arrival.
In a country like UAE where most foreign workers are supporting their families back home with long hours and low wages, I always tip handsomely, but let's not derail this thread.

The Barber took so much care with me last time that he even took photos that I could show Barbers back home to do my 'Emirati' trim. He even showed me how to shave properly.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 3:09 pm

Programs: UA, AA, Skywards, Qantas
Fox news? How telling of you.

Did you ever stop to think that Etihad may have cancelled this service because so few were availing themselves of it? Most men I know shave themselves. They clip their own nails too.

And for what it's worth my previous post praised Etihad. But it's so much easier to whine about a service you "lost" that most never used.

Enjoy BA. And do let us know how wonderful their shaves and manicures are.

Last edited by cairns; Feb 5, 2018 at 3:15 pm
Old Feb 5, 2018, 4:58 pm

Programs: Etihad Guest Platinum; Accor Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by cairns
Fox news? How telling of you.

Did you ever stop to think that Etihad may have cancelled this service because so few were availing themselves of it? Most men I know shave themselves. They clip their own nails too.

And for what it's worth my previous post praised Etihad. But it's so much easier to whine about a service you "lost" that most never used.

Enjoy BA. And do let us know how wonderful their shaves and manicures are.
I'm not on BA and if you stopped to notice for one second, it was my post that you thanked in your praise post..... I've no intention to switch to BA but don't let that fact get in the way of your bile

Also note that I didn't whine I complimented the service and lamented its loss. Lamented does not equate to whine, ergo you're certainly a Fox news aficionado
Old Feb 6, 2018, 2:50 am

Originally Posted by cairns
And about all you've contributed in 725 posts is whining......someone threatening to go to a notoriously poor airline like BA because they can't get a free shave is beyond ridiculous. If you want to support that kind of idiocy go for it. I won't.
Should also point out, in case it is referenced to me as well, my consideration for BA is a bundling of factors (as stated) and not merely cuts; just the more cuts there are, the less there is stopping myself (and others not in the UAE) from staying loyal
Old Feb 6, 2018, 10:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: OWE, *A-G, EY Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
@cairns I think you're missing the point that many people on the board are making (not whining!).

The airline has gone from one that was world leading in terms of service and product (and cost in some instances), to one that really is mediocre. I am not all that shocked about the loss of the ladies beauty facility. Many of us that frequent the F lounge will know that it's essentially a gentlemen's club. The loss of the barber, whilst not the end of the world, does represent the death by a thousand small cuts approach that EY has taken. I use to use the barber because it was a) convenient and b) saved me having to find a decent barber in the city that wouldn't give me a US Marine buzz cut, but still charge me 300AED.

Whilst BA have their own unique issues, I would certainly fly them a lot more from AUH if the timing was more convenient to my main point of destination in Europe. That's why I am stuck with EY. I feel that BA would take much better care of me in an irreg op's situation compared to EY. I also think that BA (and several others) are waking up and listening to feedback from customers.

I feel genuinely sorry for the staff that take pride in their work at EY. They have had more and more and more of the tools at their disposal taken away. That said, I have had a few shining stars over the past few weeks that have gone the extra mile. It's pretty much a case of these few staff, and convenience, that keep me flying EY.
If I wanted to give them the finger I could easily drive to DXB and fly EK, BA (better proposition from DXB), LH or LX. Problem is, it's a pain in the neck. I will get fed up doing that after a few weeks, but I don't want EY being arrogant enough to think that they have AUH based people by the b@!!$
Old Feb 7, 2018, 4:57 am

To add to that I have 1 upcoming booked on EY. 7 upcoming booked on BA. It wouldn't have looked like that at this stage in any of my previous 8 years here. I can, more or less, get Club outbound and WT+ back for not much more than EY economy with leg room. The last straw was just before Christmas when I was literally thrown the pasta meal in economy without the guy even making eye contact or giving me a choice. EY, I'm afraid, have lost me. A nice lounge can only go so far. A Platinum card holder.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 11:18 am
Original Poster

To be fair, balanced and unbiased, it’s worth pointing out that BA mixed fleet crew can be equally crap at times. Youngsters interested in making the instagram profile look interesting, rather than working in a service job.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 3:10 am

Programs: QF Plat, KL Plat, TK Gold, WY Gold, Bonvoy Tit
Originally Posted by Dubh
To add to that I have 1 upcoming booked on EY. 7 upcoming booked on BA. It wouldn't have looked like that at this stage in any of my previous 8 years here. I can, more or less, get Club outbound and WT+ back for not much more than EY economy with leg room. The last straw was just before Christmas when I was literally thrown the pasta meal in economy without the guy even making eye contact or giving me a choice. EY, I'm afraid, have lost me. A nice lounge can only go so far. A Platinum card holder.
Similar story here. Bought 20+ EU-Australia round trips on EY last year between myself & the family (two of us Platinum); however am currently writing from the (amazing!) J lounge in Doha, won't look back. Have 4 upcoming returns booked with QR already.

Cut costs, lose customers, need to cut more costs, lose more customers...
Old Feb 13, 2018, 12:22 pm
Original Poster

Just remember that Doha is not the land of milk and honey. Ask QR cabin crew what happens if they are not home and wrapped up in bed before cut off time. Modern day slavery takes many forms. If you're happy to fund an oppressive work regime... well, just take a second to think how you'd feel.

At least EY treats staff with a certain level of humanity... for all their other failings.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 2:13 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by flying_fozzy
Just remember that Doha is not the land of milk and honey. Ask QR cabin crew what happens if they are not home and wrapped up in bed before cut off time. Modern day slavery takes many forms. If you're happy to fund an oppressive work regime... well, just take a second to think how you'd feel.

At least EY treats staff with a certain level of humanity... for all their other failings.
Have you seen what BA pays its MF crew? £2.80 per hour. I dare say the ME3 have much better pay scales.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 10:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by m0hamed
Have you seen what BA pays its MF crew? £2.80 per hour. I dare say the ME3 have much better pay scales.
Well, I don't know the figures for mixed fleet on BA, but it's common knowledge that it's too low considering some of their responsibilities. That is not the point I was getting at though. I have never heard any complaints from people at EY in regards to pay, and the conditions of work are seemingly normal when compared to QR practices.

The one benefit BA MF crew have is the ability to join a union. Not to be timed in/out of their house by the company. List can go on, but I do want to go off topic.

I wonder what, if anything, will be gone (or now chargeable) in the First lounge tonight?
Old Feb 13, 2018, 11:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: EY Guest Gold, Hilton HHonors Gold, Le Club Accor Silver, AAdvantage Gold
I wouldn't mind staff pay cuts is it led to an increase in service.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 1:46 am

Programs: Etihad Guest Platinum
Really? Pay cuts would likely reduce staff morale or mean less experienced/professional staff being recruited and lead to an overall drop in service levels. Short term it may free up money to restore/add services but the staff providing that service would likely be inferior so counter productive.

The path to better quality service is to invest not cut back.

Originally Posted by DatBoi
Old Feb 14, 2018, 4:34 am

Originally Posted by DatBoi
Cutting staff pay is virtually never going to increase service.

Crazy, crazy suggestion.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

Yeah, I am kinda thinking it was not a real suggestion.

Little bit more customer focus all round wouldn't go amiss though. The staff in the lounge and check-in desk really seem oblivious to providing a friendly hello etc.. Feels like EY is the most expensive no-frills airline around.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.