Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Baggage Policy

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2018, 2:38 am
Original Poster

New Baggage Policy

So they just put in a new baggage policy for most of the world except US etc.
Economy you would get 1 or 2 bags of 23kg and now its based on fare type and varies from 23-35kg based on fare choice. Generally going from 2 bags of 23kg to 30kg total so losing around 7kg which isnt too bad.
However in business we used to get 2x 32kg bags and is now 40kg so definetly losing out most here. 24kg less than before.

Rather sad to see them make such drastic cuts for their higher cabins.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 5:18 am

Programs: Etihad Guest Platinum; Accor Platinum; Hilton Diamond
As a platinum I was allowed 96Kg out of London, now I think - as usual clear as mud - it is down to 60. As a newbie flying for the first time yesterday I would have had four more than that!
Old Jan 31, 2018, 5:51 am

Just noticed some hand bag only fares as well in Economy Deal within the GCC !
I know all airlines have cargo issues with the 380 but to cut the J fares down to a random 40KG which is a 32KG and an 8 ??

And yet the prices rise....
Old Jan 31, 2018, 6:30 am

Originally Posted by mike84k
Economy you would get 1 or 2 bags of 23kg and now its based on fare type and varies from 23-35kg based on fare choice. Generally going from 2 bags of 23kg to 30kg total so losing around 7kg which isnt too bad.
going from 2×23 (46 kg) to 30 is a lost of 16 kg!!
Old Jan 31, 2018, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by Ianis
going from 2×23 (46 kg) to 30 is a lost of 16 kg!!
Thought the same!

Big reduction. Always thought Etihad is overly generous on Economy baggage - they really need to stop punishing higher fare paying passengers, though. Crazy.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 11:46 am

Programs: Etihad Gold
Originally Posted by Recondite
Thought the same!

Big reduction. Always thought Etihad is overly generous on Economy baggage - they really need to stop punishing higher fare paying passengers, though. Crazy.
They're keeping the to/from US allowance for Y the same because they prob don't want to lose more business from people flying to Asia. I've always seen economy passengers trying to get more luggage through, most of the times J and F don't use the maximum allowance.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 2:13 pm

I was always told that transatlantic flights had to have a minimum of two bags as standard as a rule. Is this not so?
Old Jan 31, 2018, 2:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: Etihad Gold, Emirates Gold, SPG Gold, Accor Platinum
Strange how they plan to implement this on tickets they've already issued!

I just successfully sued SWISS today for denied boarding - shame that I travel light! or a blessing to Etihad.

Put an end to corporate tyranny.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 2:42 am

Programs: HH Diamond, EY Gold, AY Silver, MR Plat
Originally Posted by Recondite
Thought the same!

Not sure I agree.

EY used to have 30KG as standard in Y. This was reduced to 23KG + 7KG carry on, which is not much for a Full Service carrier. When I fly to Europe with Jet2 (Low cost airline), I get 22+10 as standard.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 3:11 am

Programs: VA Gold
For flights from Australia it was 1 piece @ 23kg for breaking deal fares, now 30kg. Much nicer.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 3:14 am

Programs: Etihad Guest Platinum
Originally Posted by akalra1187
Strange how they plan to implement this on tickets they've already issued!
Not the case. Bookings prior to 31st Jan will get the previous allowances - 1st Paragraph on the website

From 31 January 2018, we have made some changes to our global baggage allowance. If you purchased your ticket before this date, please click here. If not, you’ll find everything you need to know about our baggage allowance policy below....
Old Feb 1, 2018, 4:16 am

Originally Posted by eddibabyyeah
Not sure I agree.

EY used to have 30KG as standard in Y. This was reduced to 23KG + 7KG carry on, which is not much for a Full Service carrier. When I fly to Europe with Jet2 (Low cost airline), I get 22+10 as standard.
I'm pretty sure the Europe to South Asia flights I take on Etihad have been 2x23kg for years? Other routes may be different, though. Two bags seems very generous for a cheap economy ticket, no?
Old Feb 1, 2018, 5:20 am

So a before I could fly from Manchester to Kenya in Economy with 2 x 23kg bags and a free 1 x 23kg with my silver card (66kg in all). Now it looks like I only get 1 x 23kg with a free 10kg for the silver status (33kg)!? So that is 50% cut!!? (or am I getting it all wrong?)
Old Feb 1, 2018, 6:08 am

Programs: Etihad Guest Platinum
Adebisis, almost right... Previously you would have had up to 69kg - 2+1 @ 23kg.

Now it depends on your ticket class - With you Etihad Guest Silver 10kg extra:

Economy Deal would be 33kg a loss of 36kg
Economy Saver would be 40kg a loss of 29kg

However, as usual Etihad has muddied the waters with conflicting information, per their website journeys from Africa should get 40kg no matter what the economy class!! So in theory you could bring back more than you took! But you'd be foolish to try it!!

If you do a dummy booking it now gives the standard baggage allowances (before any EY Guest upgrades) for each sector.

Originally Posted by Adebisi2000
So a before I could fly from Manchester to Kenya in Economy with 2 x 23kg bags and a free 1 x 23kg with my silver card (66kg in all). Now it looks like I only get 1 x 23kg with a free 10kg for the silver status (33kg)!? So that is 50% cut!!? (or am I getting it all wrong?)
Old Feb 1, 2018, 9:27 am

Programs: Etihad Guest Gold
I see pros and cons to the new policy. I actually prefer weight concept to piece concept and was disappointed when they changed to piece concept a few years ago.

My first flight was in 2012 and I had a standard allowance of 30KG. I then gained Silver status and started having an allowance of 40kg. It was then changed to piece concept a few years ago and I had a standard allowance 1 piece @ 23kg plus a second piece @ 23KG. Although my total allowance increased by 6kg, I didn't like it.

Suitcases usually come as a set of different sizes and I have found it a pain balancing the contents to make sure neither case went over 23KG. I would try and put all the dense and heavy stuff in the smaller bag and the lighter bulky stuff in the bigger case. It was a much slower task than weight concept. Another reason I like weight concept is that is that I could check-in as many bags as I wished as long as I was below the total allowance. I sometimes used to check in two bags and a tripod in it's own bag. Previously under piece concept, sometimes I just checked-in one case which was well over 23KG but easier to handle in railway stations etc.

Assuming I now travel on a Breaking Deal and given that I have now attained Gold status, I will now have a total allowance of 38KG. A drop of 8KG but it would have been a bigger drop if I was still at Silver level. In reality, that is usually more than I need although it is nice to have a bit in reserve.

On balance, I will prefer this as it gives me the flexibility I like. However, I think Etihad could have increased the bonus weight allowance for elites by a small amount. It does sort of make more sense to get more weight allowance for more expensive tickets.

I see this change as a slight positive for me personally but I recognise that others will be more disadvantaged.

Mike
Recondite likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.