Upgrade Given: J - F
Upgrade Location: Security prior to US Preclearance
Route: AUH-JFK
Flight Number: EY101
Date: Today
Type of ticket: Economy with mileage upgrade to Business
Tier Status: Platinum
Pax on PNR (inc poster): 1

Economy massively oversold on this one...
Few quick questions if you don't mind as I'll be travelling EY103 in a few days:
When you say security prior to US preclearance do you mean the second round of security immediately before immigration?
Did you see anyone getting Y - J upgrades here or at the gate?
and about how long before the flight did you leave for the preclearance facility?
Old Jan 15, 2018, 6:42 am

Programs: Etihad Platinum, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, United Silver
Originally Posted by ss1710
Few quick questions if you don't mind as I'll be travelling EY103 in a few days:
When you say security prior to US preclearance do you mean the second round of security immediately before immigration?
Did you see anyone getting Y - J upgrades here or at the gate?
and about how long before the flight did you leave for the preclearance facility?
Yes, the second round of security clearance just before going to immigration was where they gave the boarding pass. The team at the First Class Lounge instructed me to leave the lounge at the boarding time listed on the boarding pass. It certainly helps having elite status or an outright business/first class ticket, because the queue at the second round of security was extremely long (probably about 300 people in that line, and about 10 in the elite line.) I did not see anyone at the gate get any upgrades; basically I just scanned my own boarding pass at a scanner just before the gate, and proceeded to the plane. Our flight left about 75 minutes late due to economy passengers still processing US customs.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 5:15 am

Programs: ey gold tg gold accor gold
LHR - BKK in J upgraded to F LHR -AUH at the gate , on EY 12 yesterday morning ....status gold ( been gold for 8 years now , if that makes a difference )
Old Jan 22, 2018, 11:00 pm

Programs: Exec Club - Gold Member - yeah baby, Emerald Aisle Executive Elite - Woo, Marriott Silver Executive
Upgrade Given: J to F
Upgrade Location: While Seated before the door closed
Route: DFW to AUH
Flight Number: 160
Date: Jan 12th
Type of ticket: J (Don't know what fare bucket)
Tier Status: None

It was magnificent - the best sleep I got all week (business trip) was on that plane.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 5:21 am

Programs: EY Silver
Any experience if using online check-in makes a difference in one or the other direction (i.e. increasing or decreasing upgrade chances, or is it no factor at all at EY)? I only found contradictory information online and nothing specifically on EY..
Old Jan 30, 2018, 1:48 am

Programs: QR Gold, WY Gold, TK Elite, EY Silver,
Originally Posted by MUCflyerEY
Any experience if using online check-in makes a difference in one or the other direction (i.e. increasing or decreasing upgrade chances, or is it no factor at all at EY)? I only found contradictory information online and nothing specifically on EY..
In my case, flying CGK-MXP and back I had a almost 50% rate op-up from Y to J during my last 3 trips booked on Flexi fare, even before Silver or Gold status, upgrade always in AUH at boarding gate, always checked-in online. I guess check in method does not have any influence on op-up chances.
MUCflyerEY likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 10:49 pm

Programs: Qatar Airways Privilege Club Gold, Etihad Guest Gold, IHG Diamond, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold
Upgrade Given: Y-J
Upgrade Location: Gate
Route: AUH-BKK
Flight Number:EY404
Date:02-02-18
Type of ticket: Deal & Classic
Tier Status: Silver
Pax on PNR (inc poster): 2

Very happy with upgrade at AUH-BKK. Great service too on the A330....

The misses and I were flying LHR-BKK on 2 separate bookings both silver guests. At check-in at LHR staff told us to expect an OP-UP as flight was oversold (never been told this at check-in) if they did not sell anymore business class seats at check-in we would get OP-UP! They must have sold the reminder as didn't get the OP-UP at LHR!
Happy days at AUH gate tho!
Old Feb 5, 2018, 4:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Baresi

The misses and I were flying LHR-BKK on 2 separate bookings both silver guests. At check-in at LHR staff told us to expect an OP-UP as flight was oversold (never been told this at check-in) if they did not sell anymore business class seats at check-in we would get OP-UP! They must have sold the reminder as didn't get the OP-UP at LHR!
That seems cruel, to me! Telling you to expect one... :P Nice to get it on the second leg, though.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 5:01 pm

Programs: Etihad Guest Platinum; Accor Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Baresi

Really cruel ! But at least, as you say, you had the second round bonus !
Old Feb 10, 2018, 12:53 am

Programs: EY Gold, QF WP
I ruined my 100% success rate MNL-AUH last week by making the rookie error of having a child meal request in the booking for my daughter

Doing the same route next week, and assume normal service will resume.

They were +36 last week and I walked down fully expecting the normal "You'e been upgraded sir"
Old Feb 10, 2018, 12:38 pm

Programs: Etihad Gold
I removed my usual AVML request from my booking last week. Hoping for op-up on JFK-AUH-AMD.

Flying EY100 which has very light load and EY288 which is almost full.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 6:23 pm

Route: AUH-AMD
Flight Number:EY288
Date:13-02-18
Type of ticket: Deal
Tier Status: Gold

So the red lights beep while boarding at JFK, got me curious (didn't expect an upgrade as Y was not full). Turns out that I changed my seat at the lounge for an empty row and the system didn't like it.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 12:49 pm

Programs: Ey
Upgrade Given: Economy-business
Upgrade Location: At the gate
Route: AUH-Lhr
Flight Number: EY17
Date: Today
Type of ticket: Economy
Tier Status: Silver,this flight put me back to gold
Pax on PNR 1
Nb..i noticed a lot of people got op up sue to overbooking,
Old Feb 19, 2018, 5:27 pm

Programs: Miles and Smiles Elite, EY Silver, VS Silver
Originally Posted by mediumpike
I removed my usual AVML request from my booking last week. Hoping for op-up on JFK-AUH-AMD.

Flying EY100 which has very light load and EY288 which is almost full.
Does AVML count as a special meal that can prevent an op-up on flights, especially JFK-AUH/AUH-JFK.
I usually fly BOM - JFK and the other way around with AVML and have been op-up'd only once as a silver on AUH-BOM (on the A388) and haven't been lucky enough since moving upwards.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by ss1710
Does AVML count as a special meal that can prevent an op-up on flights, especially JFK-AUH/AUH-JFK.
I usually fly BOM - JFK and the other way around with AVML and have been op-up'd only once as a silver on AUH-BOM (on the A388) and haven't been lucky enough since moving upwards.
The regular vegetarian option turns out to be AVML in most cases these days. The last time they bumped me up to J on AMD-AUH, it really seemed an inconvenience to the crew, as they had to re-plate a Y meal in J cabin.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.