Wiki Posts
Search

Best frequent flyer program for booking

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2017, 2:20 am
Original Poster

Best frequent flyer program for booking

Hi All,
We have booked a return flight from Australia to Europe in booking class "D" (Business Class Flex) which the Etihad website says earns 175% Etihad miles.
At the moment we aren't a member of Etihad Guest & the only partner airline we regularly use (and have points already) is Virgin Australia (Velocity points).
It is unlikely we will book another flight with Etihad in the forseeable future.
Is it best just to put the Virgin Australia Frequent Flyer number into our booking, or is it much more beneficial to sign up for Etihad Guest instead (the issue being how would we use them?).
Thanks, Gary.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 6:08 am

Programs: ey gold tg gold accor gold
Etihad are about to devalue their FF programme ( 1st January ). If your booking after this date , check the term and conditions very carefully . Etihad have a habit of twisting things ( not in the customers favour )
Old Dec 31, 2017, 7:26 am

Programs: Etihad Guest Platinum; Accor Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Tommy isn't it the 15th that they devalue?
Old Jan 1, 2018, 4:44 am

Programs: ey gold tg gold accor gold
Originally Posted by Dogmatick
I thought it was the 1st , but after checking today and not seeing any changes , your probably right
Old Jan 1, 2018, 8:15 pm
Original Poster

I booked the flights last month, but just not sure if it is best to create an Etihad Guest account (which I am unlikely to use for some time & I presume can't be transferred to other airlines schemes) or just get the miles credited to my Virgin Australia Velocity account (which I use regularly).
Thanks,
Gary.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 8:29 am

No question - use Velocity.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 10:17 am

Programs: UA Plat-Million Miler (1.6MM), IHG-Plat Amb; Amex Plat-P, Marriott-Gold;Hertz Gold; Hilton-Gold
Smile

Originally Posted by tommy123
I thought it was the 1st , but after checking today and not seeing any changes , your probably right
How significant is the EY Devaluation and where can one get more info ? I am anticipating pulling the Amex MR trigger and transfer enough points to EY for a R/T Business Class Ticket DMM-ORD-DMM. The current price is 213K. Is this likely to go substantially higher after January 15, 2018 ?
Old Jan 3, 2018, 3:12 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Originally Posted by gpicur
How significant is the EY Devaluation and where can one get more info ? I am anticipating pulling the Amex MR trigger and transfer enough points to EY for a R/T Business Class Ticket DMM-ORD-DMM. The current price is 213K. Is this likely to go substantially higher after January 15, 2018 ?
see here
Etihad Guest changes

and here for a breakdown by a blogger
Negative Changes Are Coming To Etihad Guest - One Mile at a Time
Old Jan 6, 2018, 6:41 am

Originally Posted by Dogmatick
Believe the same - the anticipation of what my 20,000 remaining miles will get me is killing me...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.