Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Etihad Airways | Etihad Guest
Reload this Page >

First Etihad flights coming up - what to expect?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2017, 1:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: Exec Club - Gold Member - yeah baby, Emerald Aisle Executive Elite - Woo, Marriott Silver Executive

Hello all,

I'm a seasoned BA flyer but I just booked my first Etihad flights - PNQ (Jet Airways) - AUH - DFW (return) in business.

From what I can see of the seats they look a lot like the American business class ones.

I have zero status on Etihad - but I think this one return trip will get me to Silver (correct me if I'm wrong).

What should I expect to be different from BA in terms of service and hard product. Baggage allowance,check in, lounge access, onboard??

Thanks!
Old Dec 14, 2017, 1:41 am
Suspended

Programs: EY Guest Gold, Hilton HHonors Gold, Le Club Accor Silver, AAdvantage Gold
Originally Posted by Harry Harry
Hello all,

I'm a seasoned BA flyer but I just booked my first Etihad flights - PNQ (Jet Airways) - AUH - DFW (return) in business.

From what I can see of the seats they look a lot like the American business class ones.

I have zero status on Etihad - but I think this one return trip will get me to Silver (correct me if I'm wrong).

What should I expect to be different from BA in terms of service and hard product. Baggage allowance,check in, lounge access, onboard??

Thanks!
Welcome to the Etihad forum Harry.
Your first flight (PNQ-AUH) is on a 9W metal, expect a dated and (likely) poorly maintained black leather recliner (still better than DL, UA, AA AutoUpgrade class). You can check in two bags of 32KG each and carry hand luggage comfortably. The EY premium lounge at AUH T3 (not T1) is the best, with great food offerings in the form of a buffet (leauges ahead of BA) and I would eat a good meal here rather than wait to eat on the plane. Do not pass preclearance early as the preclearance lounge is awful with only stale carbs and carbonated beverages on offer. Pass preclearance with 45 mins to spare and if you have time use the preclearance lounge. On the second flight (AUH-DFW) the hard product is a bit past it's prime but is still plenty comfortable and expect a good flight compared to BA. The soft product has been cut significantly meaning no pyjamas, worse bev options (alcoholic and non) and worse catering. The seat reclines 180 degress flat and if you ask the crew they will make the bed for you with a matress "pad". The seat has direct aisle access and doesn't have a flimsy footrest like BA. You will reach silver or close.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 1:47 am
Suspended

Programs: EY Guest Gold, Hilton HHonors Gold, Le Club Accor Silver, AAdvantage Gold

Old Dec 14, 2017, 2:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: Exec Club - Gold Member - yeah baby, Emerald Aisle Executive Elite - Woo, Marriott Silver Executive
Datboi - thank you for the info.

The Jet seats look about as I expected - fortunately that's only a 4 hour flight.

I must admit the thought of a 16 hour flight is a bit daunting - until now I've split the ~20 hours of flying about in half.....

I'm guessing I won't notice that the food and beverage selection is "worse" since I never had the better stuff ;-)
Old Dec 14, 2017, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by Harry Harry
I must admit the thought of a 16 hour flight is a bit daunting - until now I've split the ~20 hours of flying about in half.....
Why is it "daunting"? Passing time on long flights is the whole point of business class with flatbed seats. Try to get a window seat (more private; EY's aisle seats are much worse than window seats for longhaul) and sleep.

As part of downgrading business class, EY will replace the flatbed seats with ones that have painful sharp spikes on them. But they have not done that yet.
DatBoi and Travelix like this.

Last edited by SeeBuyFly; Dec 14, 2017 at 9:58 am
Old Dec 14, 2017, 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
As part of downgrading business class, EY will replace the flatbed seats with ones that have painful sharp spikes on them. But they have not done that yet.
Yes, but that was based on customer requests
DatBoi and Travelix like this.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 8:06 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Cmdr Tomski
Yes, but that was based on customer requests
These 'new' seats which have yet to be installed are industry leading. They have 27" pitch, luxury poltrona frau spikes, cost-cut enhances FA's and cuisine catered from a [moderator edit] meth farm village
Travelix likes this.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Dec 18, 2017 at 9:24 am Reason: Conform to rule 12
Old Dec 16, 2017, 4:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: Etihad Gold, Emirates Gold, SPG Gold, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
Why is it "daunting"? Passing time on long flights is the whole point of business class with flatbed seats. Try to get a window seat (more private; EY's aisle seats are much worse than window seats for longhaul) and sleep.

What he means by daunting is very obvious.

I fly 13 hours once a week, but 13 hours in a plane is still 'daunting'.
Content edited by Moderator per FT Rule 12

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Dec 16, 2017 at 8:58 pm Reason: Per FT Rule 12: discuss the topic, not other members in a personalized way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.