Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Etihad Airways | Etihad Guest
Reload this Page >

The competition in F is really hotting up

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2017, 1:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Etihad Guest Platinum; Accor Platinum; Hilton Diamond

I've just read about and seen pics of the new F product from Emirates and it is stunning!

Every seat is a window seat as they project Windows and the outside view on to the wall of the inner cabin. Only three abreast with floor to ceiling doors and enough space to change when the bed is made
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/thedesignair.net/2017/11/12/emirates-777-new-first-class-cabins-set-new-precedent-for-innovation-and-privacy/amp/#ampshare=https://thedesignair.net/2017/11/12/emirates-777-new-first-class-cabins-set-new-precedent-for-innovation-and-privacy/
Then there's Singapore's new offering that I think eclipses the Residence as the bed looks big enough for me to lay in it and the overall space for two is staggering

https://a380.singaporeair.com/en_UK/#explore-the-new-A380

With all of the cost cuts it would seem EY is already preparing to lose these premium flyers anyway and so I doubt we will see a refresh for a long while.
It is thought that aircraft interiors last about five years and EY launched in around Dec 14 Jan 15 if I recall correctly so we have at least two plus years to go with the current config.

Or will it finally be ripped out for a business plus with showers etc, might not be a bad idea as you'd regularly fill it and get approaching twenty seats in there with at least two showers and two toilets (of which there are too few for J on the 380)

Thoughts?
Old Nov 12, 2017, 3:37 pm

Programs: Etihad Guest Gold
Just to make it easier for others, I will make the links clickable here:

https://thedesignair.net/2017/11/12/...n-and-privacy/

https://a380.singaporeair.com/en_UK/...e-the-new-A380

Emirates:

First Class: Looks amazing with some nice new technology. The partitions going right to the ceiling give true privacy. The negatives would be that there is no provision linked suites. While they are very spacious, a 1-1-1 configuration suggests the extra space will be reflected in fares.

Business class: Looks ok but the 2-3-2 configuration with lack of direct aisle access for window and middle seats is a step backwards in my opinion.

Economy: Looks ok but difficult to comment more as little detail is given or shown in the images.

Conclusion: They seem to have widened the standards between between J and F. F is improved but I see the J product as a reduction in standards and I'm not sure that's their best decision. I would certainly prefer to use the Etihad J product compared to this. The gulfs between the classes seem massive compared to Singapore.

Singapore:

First class: This looks amazing and spacious. The provision to link suites and create a bigger bed than The Residence is a good move. Whilst Etihad First Apartments can be linked, they don't create a true double bed. It's a shame Singapore didn't make the partitions go to the ceiling.

Business Class: Look vary spacious and all with aisle access. Lot's of nice features and good technology. It's good that they can make into double beds but not sure how valued that will be in a non-private capacity.

Premium Economy: It's good that they offer a PE option with lots of extra space and comfort without the cost of J.It would be good to see Etihad offer this option.

Economy: While not out of this world, the seats offer good features and technology with a good size IFE screen. A large easy to find button for the lighting is a good addition. Many economy passengers will appreciate how the mobile app works with the IFE.

Conclusion: With four classes they offer a more gradual steps between the classes. Something to suit most passengers.

Last edited by British Balikbayan; Nov 12, 2017 at 3:49 pm
Old Nov 12, 2017, 4:35 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for sorting them, difficult when on my phone.

I agree the Emirates three wide biz is awful, three screens so close mean you'll be really distracted when watching a film and your neighbour is watching something else. Imagine that they are fifteen minutes ahead of you in your film!!

Also no aisle access isn't acceptable for a premium class these days, it is a minimum standard nowadays and likely to be filled with opup Y passengers as no J ones will book the seats
Old Nov 12, 2017, 4:37 pm

Programs: EY Gold
For some reason, the idea of screens replacing windows really doesn't appeal to me.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 7:31 pm

IMO, the EY F hard product is superior to either then new EK F or SQ F. Better use of space.
danial21 and oxfordjames like this.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 2:39 am
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
This New EK F seat will only be on 9 new delivery B777’s by end of 2018. The “new” J is laughable in this day & age. No retrofit plans announced. A major disappointment all round IMHO
Old Nov 13, 2017, 2:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dogmatick
Thanks for sorting them, difficult when on my phone.

I agree the Emirates three wide biz is awful, three screens so close mean you'll be really distracted when watching a film and your neighbour is watching something else. Imagine that they are fifteen minutes ahead of you in your film!!

Also no aisle access isn't acceptable for a premium class these days, it is a minimum standard nowadays and likely to be filled with opup Y passengers as no J ones will book the seats
Originally Posted by NoY
This New EK F seat will only be on 9 new delivery B777’s by end of 2018. The “new” J is laughable in this day & age. No retrofit plans announced. A major disappointment all round IMHO
Aren't EK famed with no retrofitting? They sell the planes on and bring in new ones with the new on board bits and pieces

Singapore commitment to retrofit all by 2020
Old Nov 13, 2017, 3:10 am

Aren't EK famed with no retrofitting? They sell the planes on and bring in new ones with the new on board bits and pieces

Indeed, a shame that SQ aren't really a great choice of airline for people flying from London to South Asia, West, the ME or Africa (obviously all for locational reasons). The ME is really the best place to be for people in the UK (assuming a stopover).
Old Nov 13, 2017, 3:11 am

Originally Posted by NoY
Agreed, the only way in which the new J would be even semi-acceptable is a drop in price... and let's be honest, that won't be happening!
NoY likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 3:35 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
I think SQ looks like a dentist's office or hospital room and most on the SQ board agree. The seat is odd, if you want to lay out your legs would be facing the door. It's an odd waste of space.

The adjoining suites also do not make true double beds, there is a short divider in the non press photos.

EK, however, does look stunning.

Many complain that EY is a waste of space, but you have options on how you use it. With EK you are confined to the seat. SQ's just makes no sense.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 4:44 am
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by m0hamed
I think SQ looks like a dentist's office or hospital room and most on the SQ board agree. The seat is odd, if you want to lay out your legs would be facing the door. It's an odd waste of space.

The adjoining suites also do not make true double beds, there is a short divider in the non press photos.

EK, however, does look stunning.

Many complain that EY is a waste of space, but you have options on how you use it. With EK you are confined to the seat. SQ's just makes no sense.
Yep, this about sums up my views too.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 4:46 am
NoY

Very true indeed but my oh my they have a c@@p J class even in the latest B777. LOL
Old Nov 13, 2017, 5:33 am

Programs: UA1K, QF Plat, *A & Marriot Gold, OW Emerald, Hyatt Hertz PC CanPass Nexus APEC Global Entry
Just out of curiousity to the brain trust here, has an airline ever configured pods 90 degrees so perpendicular to the airframe
Old Nov 13, 2017, 6:35 am
NoY

Originally Posted by Jimmie Jet
Just out of curiousity to the brain trust here, has an airline ever configured pods 90 degrees so perpendicular to the airframe
Closest to that (although clearly not 90 degrees) is VS Upper Class & NZ Business, plus Jet Business IIRC?
Old Nov 13, 2017, 6:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NoY
Closest to that (although clearly not 90 degrees) is VS Upper Class & NZ Business, plus Jet Business IIRC?

And jet airways as well ?

Would this be a description of the Apartments on the EY 380 ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.