Premium Economy coming soon?

Old Nov 5, 2017, 4:51 am

Programs: ey gold tg gold accor gold
Ok , the understandings of the first message are much clearer now.....
Old Nov 5, 2017, 4:57 am
Suspended

Programs: EY Guest Gold, Hilton HHonors Gold, Le Club Accor Silver, AAdvantage Gold
Originally Posted by Recondite
I wouldn't put your parents into the young professional category. The entire reason I'm still based in the UK is because you really need a couple of promotions if you want to be an expat on a very good salary in that region.

The trick is to not live in London; then it is easily affordable. The price I pay for flights at Christmas isn't far off what Premium Economy costs off-peak, anyway.
Recondite - You're spot on, that exactly the reason we were in the UK until 2014.
And also we lived in Cambridge, indeed much cheaper than London with low council tax and property taxes etc and that money can be better spent on other things like maldivian holidays.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 5:02 am
Suspended

Programs: EY Guest Gold, Hilton HHonors Gold, Le Club Accor Silver, AAdvantage Gold
I do wonder what the same allowances, benefits and salaries are like now after the low oil prices.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 12:37 pm

Programs: Etihad Guest Platinum; Accor Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Largely gone, very few industries have the old school expat packages but they're about to come back. They went because the west was in a state for several years and the citizens didn't need bribing to come to the ME, now that the UK etc is better people don't necessarily want to bail. However Brexit will help there.....
Old Nov 10, 2017, 12:40 am

Programs: Etihad, Krisflyer, BA Executive Club
Originally Posted by Dubh
Wow, the tone of some of your replies just goes to show you've probably been here too long. Personally I think there is potential for a PE product. The pricing difference between economy and J is large enough to drive a truck through. It's probably the main reason why I'm also BA gold as well as EY Platinum. A lot of the time it is not realistic for me to pay twice as much to get to Rome, Milan, Amsterdam, London etc with Etihad.....even when I can select Biz one way and economy coming back, when I can get a sleeper on the way out and WT+ in the way back with BA. I know there is the point to point argument versus transfers etc. And by the way, I'm the MD putting this expense claim and I don't see the justification in paying over the odds for any of my staff either.
I'm the MD too and I own the business and I refuse to travel in economy. Nor would it work to put senior staff in economy to save (relative) peanuts by forcing them to downgrade to a premium economy service.

Morale would decline, enthusiasm to fly would wane and they would be less productive.

All that negativity to save what ? $500 ? $1000 ? Sorry but that is madness and ill thought out.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 2:28 am

Programs: Etihad Guest Platinum; Accor Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Talay
I'm the MD too and I own the business and I refuse to travel in economy. Nor would it work to put senior staff in economy to save (relative) peanuts by forcing them to downgrade to a premium economy service.

Morale would decline, enthusiasm to fly would wane and they would be less productive.

All that negativity to save what ? $500 ? $1000 ? Sorry but that is madness and ill thought out.
But not everyone gets to fly Business, Economy Plus is therefore an upgrade for these flyers
Old Nov 10, 2017, 2:36 am

Originally Posted by Talay

if it was for the sake of $1000 I would agree, but it tends to be waaaay more than that. I was looking at a case last night for a trip in the week before Christmas to Italy.....the delta is more than 9000AED. Day flights <6hrs.
Recondite likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 11:03 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by DatBoi
Personal observation.
My parents are both doctors and earn atleast 5-6 times what the NHS is offering in the UK aswell as reimbused F travel for my dad and J travel for us once a year - in AUH. That's why we moved here actually.
Anyone with children old enough to post on FT can hardly be considered a young professional. Recondite's comments were seemingly not aimed at the middle aged.

I'd love a PE product for flights between 5 and 8 or so hours, especially on daytime flights. Something like SQ's product with a nice ground experience and good pitch + F&B in the air.
danial21 and Recondite like this.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 1:34 pm

Programs: EY Gold
I think it would be quite smart to offer premium economy on certain routes where it makes sense and it would be a good way to differentiate its product from Emirates.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.