Wiki Posts
Search

A positve Etihad Experience

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2017, 11:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: Etihad Guest Gold
Thumbs up A positve Etihad Experience

I know there has been quite a bit of negativity in this forum recently and I wanted to add some balance by relaying a positive experience. Whilst I do have a negative issue that has been dragging on since January, which I followed up with a formal complaint a few months ago (still unresolved), I feel it's also important to highlight good experiences as well.

This was my first trip since attaining my Gold status. All flights in economy except the last one where I got a free upgrade .

MAN to AUH:

Etihad gave me priority security which I really appreciated because the queues were longer than usual due to it being August.

Lounge: Given that Etihad now offer pay to enter, I was worried that it might be overcrowded but there was plenty of space. I was disappointed that the à la carte menu had been removed but I did enjoy the buffet food although not as much as the food I have ordered from the menu in the past.
The staff were attentive and the receptionist offered to follow up my ongoing formal complaint with Etihad.

Flight: I usually don't arrive at the gate until 30 minutes before departure. What was unusual for this flight was that there was a really long queue at the gate. This is where I really appreciated having priority boarding as I waltzed past everybody .

Shortly after a took my seat, a senior flight attendant greeted me by my name and introduced himself. When asked, he confirmed it was due to my Gold status. He confirmed that they no longer have menus to give out. I said it would be a good idea to make them available online like Emirates do. He said Etihad are considering putting them on the IFE screens. I said having no menu makes it harder for both staff and passengers. He said a few ideas are being bounced around at the moment. He let me make my food choice before other passengers and was extra attentive during the flight.

AUH Transit Stop:

Unusually for this segment, we were bussed in to the terminal. It was also a much slower bus process than usual. I then had to walk to from T1 to T3.

Lounge: Al Reem Lounge (this trip was shortly before they started allowing Golds into the Etihad lounges). I actually like the Al Reem Lounge because I know the staff in there very well now.

AUH to MNL:

I have done this trip several times but it's the first time from a bus gate.

Flight: One again, I senior flight attendant greeted me by name and introduced herself to me. I hate being call Mr X so I asked her to please just call me Mike. She was very attentive and offered me extra drinks and addressed me as 'Sir Mike' throughout the flight.

I wished I had asked her if priority immigration was available at MNL because it was a crazy long queue compared to previous trips.

Return Trip (six weeks later):

MNL to AUH:

Check-in:
The economy queue is always very slow at this airport so I really appreciated having priority check-in. No priority security or immigration available.

Lounge: Paggs Lounge. Not the best lounge in the world but comfortable enough. It would have been more convenient if it had a smoking room like some of the other lounges in this airport.

Flight: Once again, I senior flight attendant greeted me by name and introduced herself to me. Once we had reached cruising altitude, the FA returned and said "there is a spare seat at the front, would you like to move?". This was an extra legroom seat rather than a business class seat so I will call it a semi-upgrade. She said she would have moved to business class if she had been able to. She confirmed that her actions were because I have Gold status. I was looked after well throughout the flight with very attentive service.

AUH Transit Stop:

It was frustrating to arrive at T3 with a T3 departure but having to go to T1 to use the lounge. I won't have this problem in future as I will be able to use the Etihad lounges.

Lounge: Al Reem Lounge. Good experience as usual. I had a few beers and good banter with a fellow Brit in there. By coincidence, It turned out we were allocated seats next to each other.

AUH to MNL:

Finally an air bridge this time!

Gate Desk: My boarding pass was scanned and the scanner went red and was bleeping! I had my fingers crossed when the agent said "you've been upgraded". I was swiftly handed a new boarding pass in business class .

Flight: An overall amazing experience with a lot of comfort. The food was amazing and a big jump up from economy. It's also the first time I have been able to sleep properly on a plane which is a shame in some ways because I wasn't awake to experience the cabin for much of the flight. All the FA's were super attentive.

This is my first time in an Etihad BC cabin and I would certainly consider paying to upgrade some future segments.

SUMMARY:

Based on this trip, there is a massive jump between Silver and Gold status, especially since Silvers lost lounge access. I can say without doubt that I got recognition for my Gold status on all four segments of my trip. This will certainly help me to be loyal.

Mike
JayCee1966 likes this.

Last edited by British Balikbayan; Oct 24, 2017 at 9:26 am Reason: Additional typos found.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 12:45 pm

Programs: Etihad Guest Platinum; Accor Platinum; Hilton Diamond
That's really great to hear and I believe the ratio of FAs to passengers on the smaller non 340/380 to be much better for both service and recognition. The 380 J class is difficult for them to serve 72 passengers with speed and I'm lucky enough not to have flown coach on it.

As for the recognition, I reckon my name must be too difficult for them it is never used even in F (it is part of the word used to say hello in Arabic so every single one of them knows how to say it !)

For future reference, if you come into the bus entrance at T1, when you get to the top of the escalators and are about to walk to the security, turn around and you'll usually see a line of Golf carts there to whisk you away.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 5:54 pm
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
Good to see positive some feedback. Hopefully your Gold treatment was not a one-off!
Old Oct 26, 2017, 2:55 am

Programs: OWE, *A-G, EY Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Can you let us know what you received from EY in exchange for this?
Work-Shy likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 12:26 pm

Programs: UAMP, DLSM, EYEG, QRPC
Yep because you've been upgraded.
Wanna hear my recent experience BKK-AUH this month? all suck.
As a platinum member, no one care or noticed. Rude and careless cabin crew, poor food and the worst baggage handling on both legs.

I decided to say goodbye to EY and opt for QR now.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 4:16 pm

Sounds like a mediocre experience to me. AUH transits are a pain in any class.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 6:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dogmatick
That's really great to hear and I believe the ratio of FAs to passengers on the smaller non 340/380 to be much better for both service and recognition. The 380 J class is difficult for them to serve 72 passengers with speed and I'm lucky enough not to have flown coach on it.

As for the recognition, I reckon my name must be too difficult for them it is never used even in F (it is part of the word used to say hello in Arabic so every single one of them knows how to say it !)

For future reference, if you come into the bus entrance at T1, when you get to the top of the escalators and are about to walk to the security, turn around and you'll usually see a line of Golf carts there to whisk you away.
In some ways I probably felt more recognition in Y because there aren't many Golds in there and got far more attention than my fellow passengers. When I was in J, I was just another premium passenger amongst many.

I don't think I have ever been bussed into T1 since it was segregated but I will remember that tip if it happens in future.

Originally Posted by NoY
Good to see positive some feedback. Hopefully your Gold treatment was not a one-off!
Fingers crossed. I'm hoping it was because I'm Gold rather than a case of Etihad trying placate and keep me sweet because I had put in a formal complaint shortly before my trip.

Originally Posted by flying_fozzy
Can you let us know what you received from EY in exchange for this?
Etihad were actually in my bad books at time of posting this thread. They are still in my bad books because of an issue that remains unresolved. However, I believe in giving honest credit where it is due.

Originally Posted by tiamsanit
Yep because you've been upgraded.
Wanna hear my recent experience BKK-AUH this month? all suck.
As a platinum member, no one care or noticed. Rude and careless cabin crew, poor food and the worst baggage handling on both legs.

I decided to say goodbye to EY and opt for QR now.
Even without the upgrade, I still would have posted about the other positive aspects. Granted, things aren't always great on the ground but this is about my experience in the air and pointing out that I experienced a noticeable difference between being Silver and Gold.

I have done almost 40 Etihad flights in four years and have never experienced rude or careless cabin crew. Probably the worst FA I experienced was one who was slightly abrasive and impatient during food service. I put that down as a one-off and certainly the exception to the rule. Perhaps she was having a bad day or some rude passengers were giving her a hard time. It was something or nothing and she was probably still better than the average British Airways FA!
Originally Posted by erik123
Sounds like a mediocre experience to me. AUH transits are a pain in any class.
Trust me it was a step up from Silver. I have had some amazingly quick and easy transits at AUH and I have also had some that suck. But that's more of an Airport issue than an Etihad issue. Hopefully that will improve once the Midfield Terminal is finally completed

Mike
NoY likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 3:33 pm

Programs: Etihad Guest Platinum; Accor Platinum; Hilton Diamond
3 flights yesterday and no one knew my name except in the lounges then they all remember me because i tip !
Old Oct 30, 2017, 10:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dogmatick
3 flights yesterday and no one knew my name except in the lounges then they all remember me because i tip !
That's disappointing. On my above trip, I did 3 legs in Y and was greeted by name on all three by a senior FA. Also, they all spent about five minutes chatting to me after introduction. The leg I did in J, I don't recall been greeted by name although they did take good care of me. As I said in an earlier post, I felt more status recognition in Y. I suspect Golds and Plats are rare in Y and therefore stand out and get treated as premium passengers. In J and F, all passengers are treated as premium passengers, elite or not.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 5:08 am

Programs: Etihad Guest Platinum
In the last month I've taken 8 flights - posted a response in the Recognition thread for full details (Elite Recognition) - in J and Y.

All 8 were mostly (slightly) better than previous J and Y flights taken earlier in the year.
Still a few niggles I fed back to Etihad Guest and Etihad Feedback teams but mainly positive.

Maybe Etihad are turning a corner, very slowly, and taking some of their customer feedback seriously!
Old Oct 31, 2017, 9:47 am

Programs: EY Gold
I think Etihad on here gets too much flak, while there are issues and communication I think is a particular weakness as shown during the recent cuts which seemed rather sudden. I can't recall any experience with the airline which I would describe as terrible.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 9:50 am
Suspended

Programs: EY Guest Gold, Hilton HHonors Gold, Le Club Accor Silver, AAdvantage Gold
Worse still - they claim that we asked for the cuts and call them 'Service Enhancements'
Old Nov 4, 2017, 10:23 pm

Programs: ey gold tg gold accor gold
Amazing , a week goes by and not another positive experience....says a lot doesn't it

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.