Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Etihad Airways | Etihad Guest
Reload this Page >

12kg Cabin baggage enforcement in F at AUH

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

12kg Cabin baggage enforcement in F at AUH

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2017, 8:24 am

I can understand EY trying to save money, it is not about space in F but additional weight on flight (thereby increasing fuel consumption). I know - you'll say additional 7-8kg won't make big difference on one flight but add to multiple flights EY takes off daily - it adds up.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 10:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: Etihad Gold
Originally Posted by johndoes
I can understand EY trying to save money, it is not about space in F but additional weight on flight (thereby increasing fuel consumption). I know - you'll say additional 7-8kg won't make big difference on one flight but add to multiple flights EY takes off daily - it adds up.
I had no checked luggage.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 12:22 pm

Programs: Etihad Guest Platinum; Accor Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by johndoes
That makes absolute sense except he was within his limits and they wanted to check his bag. It is still getting on the aircraft and using up fuel
Old Sep 17, 2017, 3:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There is no extra charge for overweight carry-on luggage, overweight bags are simply checked into the hold and count against the passenger's piece and weight allowance. That is higher for F.

While the rule has not been strictly enforced, it is now. Not a leg to stand on, so either adapt or fly another carrier.

The reasoning is not simply fuel consumption but passenger safety. Unless you have good medical data which shows that F passengers have thicker skulls and are less susceptible to skull fractures and concussions than those in steerage, there is good reason both to have a uniform rule and for it to be enforced.

Perhaps some passenger was bonked by an 8kg bag and EK had to pay a fortune? All it takes is one staff member somewhere being disciplined and one can imagine the rule being strictly enforced.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 9:12 pm
Original Poster

First bags don't go In the overheads they go under the footstool.

The rule is stupid.

It it was not enforced on the return trip.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 12:30 am

Programs: Jeff is Deaf
Originally Posted by Jimbob247
A first for me, the rather unhelpful agent insisted I must check in one of my two small carry on items that weighed a total of 20kg.

On asking to speak to a manager I had to wait five minutes, when it was clear one wasn't available she just let me take them on with no pleasantries.

Doesn't seem a very acceptable policy for Gold members in F. Stinks of a way of raising revenue in Y.
If with traveling companion I always dump my carry on with them and check in alone, then he / she does the same thing.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 12:40 am

Programs: HH Diamond, EY Gold, AY Silver, MR Plat
Originally Posted by YoungSoloTraveler
If with traveling companion I always dump my carry on with them and check in alone, then he / she does the same thing.
A strategy that does work. But you could get caught out at the gate if they start checking there.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 2:16 am

Programs: EK Blue, EY Guest, AA, QR
Originally Posted by Often1
There is no extra charge for overweight carry-on luggage, overweight bags are simply checked into the hold and count against the passenger's piece and weight allowance. That is higher for F.

While the rule has not been strictly enforced, it is now. Not a leg to stand on, so either adapt or fly another carrier.

Perhaps some passenger was bonked by an 8kg bag and EK had to pay a fortune? All it takes is one staff member somewhere being disciplined and one can imagine the rule being strictly enforced

Yes, so British airways passengers are safe with 15kg bags in the overhead cabin, yet EY passengers aren't with 8 kg?
Old Sep 21, 2017, 4:03 pm

Programs: Etihad Guest Platinum; Accor Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by LonghornDXB
Yes, so British airways passengers are safe with 15kg bags in the overhead cabin, yet EY passengers aren't with 8 kg?
Exactly, to misquote someone "the rule is an ..."

As in Donkey Mr Moderator not someone's behind
Old Sep 22, 2017, 1:05 am

Originally Posted by LonghornDXB
^^
Old Sep 26, 2017, 12:03 am
Original Poster

I asked why they think 12kg is appropriate.

I’ve has four emails back to say someone is looking into my query....
Old Sep 26, 2017, 4:02 am

Programs: Etihad Gold, Qatar Gold, flying Blue, Falcon, Lufthansa, Eva
Smile

Originally Posted by Jimbob247
I asked why they think 12kg is appropriate.

I’ve has four emails back to say someone is looking into my query....
This just means that this is a difficult issue for Etihad to think of something that you might find a credible explanation so they have passed the query around to see who can give the best answer

Do share the response(s)
Old Sep 26, 2017, 5:43 am

Originally Posted by Often1
The reasoning is not simply fuel consumption but passenger safety (...) there is good reason both to have a uniform rule and for it to be enforced.
Several other carriers allow much heavier hand luggage, even in Economy.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 9:59 pm

Programs: EY Guest Platinum; A3 Gold; Delta Platinum, BA Silver, IHG Gold
I do not get why they call it a security risk. BA doesn't even publish a weight limit for hand luggage. So is it an unsafe airline?
And a pax traveling in F wouldn't have to pay for checked luggage anyways. I just do not get the rule. It is just stupid.

Might make sense in Economy, where the overhead bins are constantly full.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 2:37 am

Originally Posted by h1ghfly3r
I do not get why they call it a security risk.
Airline and airport staff all know that mentioning the word "security" is the best way to get pax to back down on any issue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.