Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Etihad Airways | Etihad Guest
Reload this Page >

Etihad high change fees-no cancellation. Other options?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2017, 4:52 pm
Original Poster

I am looking to book 2 tickets from DFW-HYD round trip on Etihad between end of October and early November. I intend to use AA miles for one ticket and directly with Etihad for the 2nd ticket. The reason for directly booking with Etihad, though I have the miles, is that though the economy ticket costs 80,00 miles plus taxes/fees, adding a lap infant will cost me nearly $750 plus 80,000 miles for the parent ticket through AA. At that price I might as well book another seat directly with Etihad ($200 more for a new ticket). So I am contemplating buying one with miles and another directly with Etihad to avoid paying high fees for lap infant with AA.

Etihad has a $200 fee per change per guest (My plans are not fixed yet, I might end up changing). No cancellations allowed on the lowest fare ticket.

Does anyone know booking through a 3rd party travel site (like expedia/priceline) is a cheaper option regarding cancellation fees? They have 10% cashback through ebates.

Thanks.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 6:40 pm

Programs: Etihad Guest Platinum; Accor Platinum; Hilton Diamond
The fare rules are usually set by the carrier and so it is unlikely I'm afraid
Old Aug 31, 2017, 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by RJ5929
I am looking to book 2 tickets from DFW-HYD round trip on Etihad between end of October and early November. I intend to use AA miles for one ticket and directly with Etihad for the 2nd ticket. The reason for directly booking with Etihad, though I have the miles, is that though the economy ticket costs 80,00 miles plus taxes/fees, adding a lap infant will cost me nearly $750 plus 80,000 miles for the parent ticket through AA. At that price I might as well book another seat directly with Etihad ($200 more for a new ticket). So I am contemplating buying one with miles and another directly with Etihad to avoid paying high fees for lap infant with AA.

Etihad has a $200 fee per change per guest (My plans are not fixed yet, I might end up changing). No cancellations allowed on the lowest fare ticket.

Does anyone know booking through a 3rd party travel site (like expedia/priceline) is a cheaper option regarding cancellation fees? They have 10% cashback through ebates.

Thanks.
Ebates cash back for airline tickets is only $1.25. The 10% is only for cruises.

Also, where did you price out the lap infant ticket? Infant tickets are usually only 10-20% of the full ticket. I bought a roundtrip business class lap infant ticket for $500. I would recommend checking that price again directly from Etihad. If you find the right agent, you can get the lap infant ticket from them directly, even if your ticket is from AA.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 12:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Merlinrnr
Ebates cash back for airline tickets is only $1.25. The 10% is only for cruises.

Also, where did you price out the lap infant ticket? Infant tickets are usually only 10-20% of the full ticket. I bought a roundtrip business class lap infant ticket for $500. I would recommend checking that price again directly from Etihad. If you find the right agent, you can get the lap infant ticket from them directly, even if your ticket is from AA.
Thanks regarding the ebates.

When I said $750, I meant that an award ticket through AA for Etihad will cost me 80,000 miles but $750 to add a lap infant on the same award ticket. that's what they quoted me.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 12:56 pm

You have posted the same thing on both AA and EY forums, which is against the rules.

Also, I wonder if it is even possible to book a child ticket individually. You will be on the same flight with an award ticket, but is the system able to recognize that?
Old Sep 1, 2017, 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
You have posted the same thing on both AA and EY forums, which is against the rules.

Also, I wonder if it is even possible to book a child ticket individually. You will be on the same flight with an award ticket, but is the system able to recognize that?
Yes it's easily done. I've purchased lap infant tickets on Qatar and Etihad directly with my tickets being AA award tickets.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 2:17 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Please continue discussion in the AA forum.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ad-ticket.html

NewbieRunner, Senior Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.