Search

Goodbye Etihad

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2017, 3:10 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Etihad Gold, Emirates Gold, SPG Gold, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Dogmatick
As the majority of people on here seem to be ex-UK in their flight plans, it isn't remotely surprising that the prices have gone up. #Brexit anyone ? We lost over 20% of our currency last year and the knock on has happened, flight planning is largely done in $USD as is the fuel.

I believe that LHR also put a slight raise on their fees as well because, you know, it is such a slick operation there !

It is true though that it is a pull down from being up on high, their aircraft were almost all entirely new so haven't had time to age. Let's see if they retire them as fast as their peers or if they'll just let them age. Also let's see if they upgrade the interiors or do an EK and just sell on once too old to bother

The price model - bums on seats mentioned above doesn't always count for the premium passengers. I doubt Akalra1187 is alone in being picky about what they receive in F, many passengers look for F to be exactly this and will march - but also many will not. Just like the people who book the Residence and sleep the entire flight thereby not availing themselves of the splendour of what they booked.

The slump in oil prices made it very difficult for the ME3 to put in a price differential against the direct flying European carriers and so they lost out considerably. I booked a friend a return to DXB from LHR in Y for £276 in Jan this year, that's after the drop in the pound as well. That is how desperate the ME3 had become and how empty they were flying - it isn't a surprise therefore that they've had to look to remodel everything they do. Problem is the cost they've cut seem negligible to us but when Macro'ed up will make a huge difference.

In the late 80's BA took one olive out of the F class salads, saved them £40,000 over a year, think how many millions are saved by no amenity kits, no chauffeur etc. Look at LHR let us say only half (though likely more) had booked a Chauffeur, that's to and from the airport and they were paying the company some £70 each way. One flight is therefore 160 chauffeur movements (40 arriving and 40 departing returns). Three flights a day and that becomes 480 times £70 - £33,600 a day £12,264,000 a year just in LHR - then there's Paris Manchester Frankfurt Dusseldorf New York Washington LA etc etc etc

Sure my numbers may be a little out but I've only said half the flight of 81 seats so would likely be more and if you're an accountant looking for cuts then that is a massive global number - amounting to likely the cost of an airframe each year !
Good point but if it is the difference between a full or empty business class it kind of changes. £33,600 a day expenses. Say that they make an average of £350 per business class seat sold LHR-AUH £168,000 if they're at half capacity, £336,000 at full capacity. It doesn't take much to realise that 33k off 336k is better than even £16,800 - £168,000.
Cut their numbers and they will cut the cuts.

Although I don't claim that my numbers are totally accurate, just my opinion but I don't think Etihad are paying an average of £70 per chauffeur, especially at wholesale rates. I don't know what the mileage cap was, but the majority of passengers would be coming from Central London, which is a £30 Uber to Heathrow. Retail. Consider that many other areas are also £30 or less at retail rates to LHR, Reading, Windsor, Slough, Woking, Guildford, the whole of W, SW and NW London, High Wycombe, Watford etc etc. Then you get the areas that will max out the mileage limit, I'm guessing Southampton or Ashford or Banbury or Cambridge, these might even touch £100 retail but numbers will be very insignificant compared to Central London.

Last edited by akalra1187; Jul 12, 2017 at 3:22 am
Old Jul 12, 2017, 3:29 am

Programs: Etihad Guest Platinum; Accor Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by akalra1187
Good point but if it is the difference between a full or empty business class it kind of changes. £33,600 a day expenses. Say that they make an average of £350 per business class seat sold LHR-AUH £168,000 if they're at half capacity, £336,000 at full capacity. It doesn't take much to realise that 33k off 336k is better than even £16,800 - £168,000.
Cut their numbers and they will cut the cuts.

Although I don't claim that my numbers are totally accurate, just my opinion but I don't think Etihad are paying an average of £70 per chauffeur, especially at wholesale rates. I don't know what the mileage cap was, but the majority of passengers would be coming from Central London, which is a £30 Uber to Heathrow. Retail. Consider that many other areas are also £30 or less at retail rates to LHR, Reading, Windsor, Slough, Woking, Guildford, the whole of W, SW and NW London, High Wycombe, Watford etc etc. Then you get the areas that will max out the mileage limit, I'm guessing Southampton or Ashford or Banbury or Cambridge, these might even touch £100 retail but numbers will be very insignificant compared to Central London.
Drivers told me many times that they receive £60-65 for a trip from London, less if it was the company's car - then they would still make that margin. Has to be a minimum of £70 to the airline then
Old Jul 12, 2017, 3:48 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dogmatick
Drivers told me many times that they receive £60-65 for a trip from London, less if it was the company's car - then they would still make that margin. Has to be a minimum of £70 to the airline then
True, I guess Etihad should have negoated a more reasonable rate instead of cutting their service. Pretty crazy really, when a retail customer is paying £30-35 and an airline that should have a wholesale contract is paying £70. Heck even if they paid their drivers £10 an hour and used one year old E classes or A6s they would do better than £70 for a 16 mile journey!
Old Jul 13, 2017, 6:57 am

True, I guess Etihad should have negoated a more reasonable rate instead of cutting their service. Pretty crazy really, when a retail customer is paying £30-35 and an airline that should have a wholesale contract is paying £70. Heck even if they paid their drivers £10 an hour and used one year old E classes or A6s they would do better than £70 for a 16 mile journey!
Which company carries you in a 5-series or E-class for £30-35 from LHR to the City?
Old Jul 13, 2017, 7:19 am
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by stargold
Which company carries you in a 5-series or E-class for £30-35 from LHR to the City?
A fine question indeed....(unless of course it a knackered old smoker..of a Merc/Beemer)
Old Jul 13, 2017, 7:27 am

Originally Posted by NoY
A fine question indeed....(unless of course it a knackered old smoker..of a Merc/Beemer)
Or indeed, as is often the case when flying in F, even a 7-series or S-class?

And what kind of half decent chauffeur will be willing to work for £10 per hour?
Old Jul 13, 2017, 8:35 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Or indeed, as is often the case when flying in F, even a 7-series or S-class?

And what kind of half decent chauffeur will be willing to work for £10 per hour?
Well first point, "Which company carries you in a 5-series or E-class for £30-35 from LHR to the City?"

Not The City, to Central London, like Knightsbridge and the West End, The City doesn't hold much importance these days.

Below are retail prices, do you honestly think the companies make no margins? Do you think a company booking 480 cars a day?

As for the second question: "And what kind of half decent chauffeur will be willing to work for £10 per hour?"

Our company employs 5 drivers, they are paid £11 an hour, they drive Bentleys and Rolls Royce's not e classes, and they drive decently by all accounts.

My question is what kind of person (and I know there are some) thinks its worth paying someone more than £10-12 an hour to drive a car?
Old Jul 13, 2017, 9:47 am

True, I guess Etihad should have negoated a more reasonable rate instead of cutting their service.
That's the point - not only about chauffeur service.

EY wasted so much money without a real or without any benefit for years. No question, that they should have changed that. But why turning directly from hero to zero? I think, it's not very clever to spend a lot of money for positioning yourself in the market as a luxury airline and then destroy your own positioning for cost cutting reasons.

Anyway I think the ME3 owners weren't too clever to choose an industry which depends on the goodwill of foreign gouvernments as much as the airline industry. It's profitable to make deals with the Arab countries as long as they have oil and gas - it's a win-win. But the ME3 carriers were ment for the time after the oil and gas resources are gone. And from this point of time there is no win for US, Europe and Asia in dealing with Arab countries any longer.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 1:20 pm

Programs: Etihad Guest Platinum; Accor Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by thbe
And from this point of time there is no win for US, Europe and Asia in dealing with Arab countries any longer.
Except that they'll have spent much of that money in the west buying it all up and propping up the economy. Mayfair in central London is effectively little Doha with the Saudi Embassy as an enclave right in its heart !

I read a Forbes article this week (I think it was Forbes) stating that the Qataris had invested close to $300B in the west which is worth a lot more than that now.

We'll need to keep notice of them for quite a while after the oil has gone
Old Jul 13, 2017, 8:52 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

But what is more amazing is that they need to pay £70 per 16 mile cab ride, rather than use a bit of common sense and realise you can pay driver a bit over minimum wage and it works just fine.
Even more amazing is that they hire some of the world's top CEO's supposedly and even they don't know you can't do business like that.
That is to say that you are buying something in bulk, and should be buying it at wholesale, but yet your cost price for that service is more than what customers can get it for at retail! Rather than a top CEO realising that owning a E Class and hiring a minimum wage driver does not cost £70 for a 16 mile, 30 minutes trip, is just beyond shocking.

Last edited by akalra1187; Jul 13, 2017 at 9:38 pm
Old Jul 13, 2017, 9:51 pm

Programs: EK Silver, QR Gold
E-Class from LHR to St. James (Waterloo Place) cost me 45 pounds earlier this year through taxicode..

So, yeah, I would think EY could've done a lot better with a big contract..

Last edited by JasperT; Jul 13, 2017 at 10:37 pm
Old Jul 14, 2017, 1:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Believe it or not Etihad understand priority queueing, try EVA to understand what it's like to queue like a Y passengers even though you're flying J.
I'm not sure many would agree with you!

My last flight from AUH with EY, in F to GRU, saw me as one of the last to board. No priority queuing whatsoever and no way to bypass the hordes to get to the head of the queue.

By the way, "amenity" has only one M.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 7:57 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by irishguy28
I'm not sure many would agree with you!

My last flight from AUH with EY, in F to GRU, saw me as one of the last to board. No priority queuing whatsoever and no way to bypass the hordes to get to the head of the queue.

By the way, "amenity" has only one M.
But that is Etihad at one outstation.

I've been given priority at DEL, BOM, SIN, BKK, JNB, NRT, AUH, and LHR on Etihad.

There was no priority queuing at BR's home airport of TPE and also during transit at BKK. There was fast track for security at LHR.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 7:58 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JasperT
E-Class from LHR to St. James (Waterloo Place) cost me 45 pounds earlier this year through taxicode..

So, yeah, I would think EY could've done a lot better with a big contract..
Sounds like you stayed at the Sofitel, to me that's the best value 5* in London.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 8:26 pm

Programs: EK Silver, QR Gold
Sounds like you stayed at the Sofitel, to me that's the best value 5* in London.
Must say I did like the French touch in the middle of London a lot!

(And since I was doing a few musicals had the best location too)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.