Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Etihad Airways | Etihad Guest
Reload this Page >

Beginning of the end of chauffeur service?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Beginning of the end of chauffeur service?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2017, 7:37 pm
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by amnicoll
Customer research has indicated that the chauffeur service is important to only a small portion of our premium guests

First one must ask about the methodology used and how representative the sample was and were the questions phrased in such a way as to avoid bias.

Second the wording is very careful as they say small portion of our premium guests which suggests the data is not weighted by frequency of use and this small proportion could actually represent a larger proportion of trips made in the Premium cabin if it is the frequent users who value it
I was sent an e-mail a while ago about the services EY offer & what's important to me. Chauffeur cars were/are NOT that important to me. My main routes either do not have chauffeur service (HKT/TYO) or its a small benefit to me (LHR/MAN). So, yes, the chauffeur is not a major factor. My other preferred carriers (QR/SQ/CX) do not have chauffeur cars, so no loss for me What drives me away from EY currently? Their pricing!
Old Jul 2, 2017, 12:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: Etihad Gold, Emirates Gold, SPG Gold, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by NoY
I was sent an e-mail a while ago about the services EY offer & what's important to me. Chauffeur cars were/are NOT that important to me. My main routes either do not have chauffeur service (HKT/TYO) or its a small benefit to me (LHR/MAN). So, yes, the chauffeur is not a major factor. My other preferred carriers (QR/SQ/CX) do not have chauffeur cars, so no loss for me What drives me away from EY currently? Their pricing!
I live 20 mins from LHR, so a taxi is cheap as it is, I have company drivers in DEL and BOM.
Chauffer would have been good in HKG but I've not flown Etihad to HKG yet.
Tokyo, as far as I know they didn't offer it at Nartia the last time I flew there with EY.
BKK the chauffeur didn't turn up.
In SIN it was always a nice clean E class, and it was a nice perk, but taxis are pretty reasonable in Singapore.
JNB when I flew there with Etihad my clients insisted on their own driver and guards and said even looking for the EY diver at JNB wouldn't be safe.
AUH I pretty much do need the chauffeur because I have a home in Dubai, and the only reason I fly Etihad is because the chauffeur means flying to AUH or DXB makes little difference, but it seems chauffeur service in AUH remains.
So for me,

Its a loss in:

BKK (if it shows up)
SIN
LHR

For me it makes no difference in:

NRT
BOM
DEL
JNB

and even LHR isn't much of a hassle with a Ł15-20 Uber.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 3:59 am

Programs: Etihad Gold, Qatar Gold, flying Blue, Falcon, Lufthansa, Eva
akalra1187 You highlight the dilemma that Etihad face but there are those like myself for whom the chauffeur makes the difference between choosing Etihad or another carrier.

I would/will NOT use Etihad for the morning departure out of Manchester without chauffeur (unless there was a big price advantage) but I might use it for the evening departure but as most of my flights are on the morning departure then I no longer have any incentive to use them. In my case they will lose 3 annual long haul flights
Old Jul 3, 2017, 11:49 am

Just got burned on re-ticketing having changed one segment of my flight. My fault for not having paid attention. Not pleased regardless.

Similar to other posters in the thread I suspect that a number of people will opt for other carriers. I would generally opt for QR though was swayed by the transport as I have a bit of a drive on arrival.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 7:08 am

Programs: Etihad Guest Platinum; Accor Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Prices are in. In what appears to be a regular minicab my to from airport journey
Ł127.64

My usual price is
Ł65

They can keep their guest miles for that fare difference
Old Jul 8, 2017, 6:16 am
Formerly known as koeche

Programs: LX HON, QR Plat, Hilton Diamond, Windows 11, Adobe Creative Suite
The prices EY limo partner is asking are on par with any limo serrvice, for example Blacklane. There is really no point considering them. Also not for those peanut miles.
Old Jul 8, 2017, 1:46 pm
Suspended

It doesn't seem to have been mentioned, but it seems that Business Breaking Deal fares will now be more popular, they were never eligible for the chauffeur, and previously I avoided this fare category because of no chauffeur.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by CheckInPeach
The prices EY limo partner is asking are on par with any limo serrvice, for example Blacklane. There is really no point considering them. Also not for those peanut miles.
I agree but other limo companies offer an E Series at that price, this looks like a regular Nissan saloon or something. The E Class is considerably more money !

Last edited by Dogmatick; Jul 9, 2017 at 9:09 am Reason: because my spelling is as advanced as my demetia
Old Jul 9, 2017, 1:16 pm

Programs: EY Platinum/M&M Gold
Originally Posted by CheckInPeach
Looking at the prices for a 55min trip from Dublin... over 600 euro!!; last time i checked with the current company Etihad use (i was arranging a transfer for someone else who wasn't flying EY) and the rate was less than half that... its a total rip off!!!!
Old Jul 9, 2017, 1:59 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Dogmatick
I agree but other limo companies offer an E Series at that price, this looks like a regular Nissan saloon or something. The E Class is considerably more money !
E series? The fatherless child of BMW meets Mercedes?
Old Jul 9, 2017, 2:00 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by irish mark
Looking at the prices for a 55min trip from Dublin... over 600 euro!!; last time i checked with the current company Etihad use (i was arranging a transfer for someone else who wasn't flying EY) and the rate was less than half that... its a total rip off!!!!
Uber? Blacklane?
Old Jul 10, 2017, 7:37 am

Programs: EY Platinum/M&M Gold
Originally Posted by akalra1187
Uber? Blacklane?
i got a local taxi for 120 euro... 20% of the comparable cost: not an E class but perfectly ok
Old Jul 12, 2017, 1:22 am

Programs: EY, QR Platinum, BA Gold
Originally Posted by akalra1187
It doesn't seem to have been mentioned, but it seems that Business Breaking Deal fares will now be more popular, they were never eligible for the chauffeur, and previously I avoided this fare category because of no chauffeur.
agree, I generally avoided those fares but now will be using them for sure because of no chauffeur.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 1:48 am

Originally Posted by flightcrew1
agree, I generally avoided those fares but now will be using them for sure because of no chauffeur.
Been using them for a while, be careful about your dates because changes are abhorrently expensive.

What is often stupid as well is that if you make a change you are forced to a D or C class fare even though W is available, it is apparently part of the conditions - so be absolutely certain you want the dates that you book
Old Aug 16, 2017, 1:30 pm

Programs: TK elite & BA Gold
Understand it correct that I can still use comp. chauffeur service from Dubai Area to AUH on a business class award flight which was booked with EY guest miles?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.