Etihad Sucks

Old Apr 28, 2017, 9:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: United, AA, Hilton
Etihad Sucks

Booked an AA Ticket with cash because I couldn't get Saaver award availability from DCA-JFK. DCA Flight was delayed 6 hours, causing me to misconnect to EY. JFK-AUH in F. I booked an EY Ticket with EY Guest Miles, when I called to get rebooked, they said no changes, no cancellations within 24 hours, took my 240k Etihad Miles. Used AA miles to rebook IAD-AUH tonight on the 10:10pm flight. Get a call from Etihad this morning telling me the flight has been delayed until 0710am on 04/29/17. Etihad is apparently supposed to be great to fly in business, but all i get from Etihad is run around. I haven't even been able to get on an EY plane. No wonder why EY is losing money. Save your miles and your sanity and book anyone but Etihad.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 9:51 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
You didn't misconnect, you bought two separate tickets and you didn't turn up for the booking you'd made with Etihad for reasons that were nothing to do with Etihad.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 10:21 am

Programs: EY Gold, QF WP
Can't see how this is Etihads fault. The conditions for change of the award ticket on them were known when you purchased it, if you want to book the incoming flight on a separate PNR with a tight connection that was the risk you assumed.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 10:22 am

JFK-AUH in F is 117k miles so not sure where you came up with 240k.
As for change date/refund its clearly stated upon booking that theres no refund within 24h period of the flight as with many other airlines.
Next time book entire trip under 1 ticket as that dca-jfk wouldve been free with ur jfk-auh and would have protected you incase of misconnect
Old Apr 28, 2017, 10:23 am

you might want to consider changing the title to AA sucks
Old Apr 28, 2017, 9:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United, AA, Hilton
2pax I should have said 235k. My mistake, and yes both AA and Etihad blow. It wasn't a tight connection. It would have been blown regardless with a 6 hour delay due to AA crew time outs. I think it is absolutely insane that any change/cancellation within 24 hours on an award ticket forfeits all miles. AA was $175 to get my miles back.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 10:23 pm
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, Amex Plat
Nothing at all to see here, let’s move on
Old Apr 29, 2017, 12:17 am

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Did you guys not read the second half of the post, which WAS EY's fault? Jesus.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 12:24 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
The first half of your original rant statement has nothing to do with EY. You didn't have a connection, you had two separate flights. As far as EY is concerned you were a no-show. There is no requirement to refund your miles, nor are there any obligations to reaccommodate you. These are the risks of separate tickets. Take it up with your travel insurance provider if you like, but I doubt they'll be interested either.

The second half describes a delay. This is not uncommon in air travel, but it is an annoyance. I'm sure EY will provide some compensation eventually.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by keitherson
Did you guys not read the second half of the post, which WAS EY's fault? Jesus.
ok, 2nd part of the post:
Get a call from Etihad this morning telling me the flight has been delayed until 0710am on 04/29/17. Etihad is apparently supposed to be great to fly in business, but all i get from Etihad is run around. I haven't even been able to get on an EY plane. No wonder why EY is losing money. Save your miles and your sanity and book anyone but Etihad.
So... the flight was delayed and the airline called the passenger to advise them of the delay. What a terrible airline...
Old Apr 29, 2017, 10:33 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
2 separate tickets: Tough luck!

This is a classic case of "Being cheap and trying to save a couple bucks and ending up having to pay a lot more".
Old Apr 29, 2017, 11:00 am

There was no earlier flight to NYC? There's a flight nearly every 15 minutes!

If in doubt I would've bought a ticket for an earlier flight (or used AA miles).
Old Apr 29, 2017, 12:00 pm

Programs: CebGo 5J, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Alaska 100K
Originally Posted by WorldLux
2 separate tickets: Tough luck!

This is a classic case of "Being cheap and trying to save a couple bucks and ending up having to pay a lot more".
Pretty harsh. I would say "unlucky" as a 6 hour delay is not the norm and is normally enough time to do connections.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 12:17 pm

You can see the 24h-no-refund-rule for guest seats when you book the flight.

And at EY you can choose between flex (open seats) and non-flex tickets (guest seats). Of course flex tickets need more miles than non-flex tickets.

Sometimes flights are delayed. For a non-US airline like EY it's more difficult to replace a plane for a flight from the US than for US carriers. If you get a call in that case, from my point of view the level of service provided by the airline is above average. If a flight is delayed I prefer to spend more time at home than to wait at an airline lounge.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 12:23 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by davistev
Pretty harsh. I would say "unlucky" as a 6 hour delay is not the norm and is normally enough time to do connections.
The risk associated with trips on separate tickets is know (or at least should be know by a FF). Sure, a delay is never the norm, but that doesn't mean that either airline is at fault here. Even if a 6 hour delay is unusual, it's extremely foolish to plan in such a fashion.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.