Search

Damaged suitcase

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2017, 12:55 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Etihad Gold, Emirates Gold, SPG Gold, Accor Platinum
Damaged suitcase

I flew LHR-AUH in J. Upon arrival my suitcase's (Rimowa Topas Titanium 78cm) frame was bent. The lock was also wedged open and hinge had one rivet fallen out.
I showed it to baggage claims, they told me to send an email and pictures.
I did so, after over a month and they come back with an offer of 5,000 miles and say its minor damage!?
Nor is it minor damage nor does 5,000 miles compensate for an almost £1,000 unusable suitcase. Rimowa Dubai (Jashanmal) were able to replace the rivet and slightly straighten the frame but told me that they could not fully fix it and said I should take it to Rimowa in 'Europe' (I live in London so its possible).
It was clearly mishandled, its quite a new suitcase, but its been on 6 flights before this one and has had no such issues. Not only that, but they claim that minor damage is things like wheels and handles. A bent frame and the suitcase's hinge being massacred is hardly minor damage, and frankly I'm pretty insulted that they called an unusable almost £1,000 suitcase 'minor damage'.
At the very least they should get the suitcase repaired for me and I don't think its out of line to replace the suitcase.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 1:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

£1000 suitcase?

That's crazy. No airline is ever going to reimburse that much simply for a suitcase. £150, maybe.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 1:07 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
£1000 suitcase?

That's crazy. No airline is ever going to reimburse that much simply for a suitcase. £150, maybe.
If that's the price of the case, why not? LV & Goyard cases cost significantly more. I appreciate your comment though, because you're right they may not want to pay that much, but then again they should take care of the luggage too in that case. Even Samsonite cases go for £3-400++ these days.
The fact that they don't want to pay doesn't mean they shouldn't have to does it?
I'd accept the £150 to pay the repair bill, that would be fair I guess. Really though they should put their hands up and say the case shouldn't have been treated in this way and replace it (I'll happily give them the old one.)
Old Apr 15, 2017, 5:51 pm

Programs: Etihad Guest Platinum; Accor Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Just read a report on these Rimowa suitcases and how Cathay were stamping them fragile automatically for the sheer number of claims on them as they can rarely be repaired and cost a stupid amount of money.

They've since rescinded the fragile sticker thing but still

I remember seeing many many years ago a sign at a baggage handlers claim point that the luggage is there to protect the items within it and not in itself be a protected item.

I kind of agree with that and think that the idea of putting very expensive vanity luggage in the hold gets a deserve what you get. It has to go through rollers and conveyers and low piad baggage handlers so why spend $1250 on it. We aren't on a steam ship crossing the Atlantic

For example how often do people put $1250 worth of stuff in their checked luggage ? You keep the expensive stuff in the carry on !
http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/e...agile-tags-due
Old Apr 15, 2017, 5:58 pm

So I wonder how many Rimowa owners have ever had their tag inserted in the way shown. I cannot imagine it ever happening
Attached Images  
Old Apr 16, 2017, 1:09 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
A few months ago they also heavily damaged my Rimowa suitcase and called it 'minor damage' for which they were not willing to provide any compensation. The damage was so sever the suitcase wasn't even square anymore. However, under the Montreal Convention Article 17 the airline is certainly liable for damage to baggage. Despite arguing my rights Etihad wouldn't butch.

I was 'lucky' that I missed my flight and was rebooked on Airberlin. As they were now the last leg of my journey and thus officially responsible for the luggage, I filed a claim with AB who repaired my suitcase no questions asked.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 1:56 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dogmatick
Just read a report on these Rimowa suitcases and how Cathay were stamping them fragile automatically for the sheer number of claims on them as they can rarely be repaired and cost a stupid amount of money.

They've since rescinded the fragile sticker thing but still

I remember seeing many many years ago a sign at a baggage handlers claim point that the luggage is there to protect the items within it and not in itself be a protected item.

I kind of agree with that and think that the idea of putting very expensive vanity luggage in the hold gets a deserve what you get. It has to go through rollers and conveyers and low piad baggage handlers so why spend $1250 on it. We aren't on a steam ship crossing the Atlantic

For example how often do people put $1250 worth of stuff in their checked luggage ? You keep the expensive stuff in the carry on !
http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/e...agile-tags-due
I saw a news article of baggage handlers actually throwing bags. The thing is soft sided luggage will endure this more, hard sided luggage will not.
Its still pretty crass and disrespectful to throw things around, its like asking for someone to pass you something and they throw it to you instead of hand it to you. Their sole job it to 'handle' the luggage.
Imagine it was a glass of water or a plate of food being thrown instead of passed. That is to say, knowing that throwing it would result in considerable damage in 99% of cases.
The fact is if the suitcase is damaged the contents are no longer protected. My suitcase was bent out of shape and the lock had 'burst', if this was mishandled any more, the contents would have no longer been in the bag.
As for the value of the contents, I don't think £900 (and considerably more) is that uncommon.
You'd struggle to buy a branded suit for less than £1,000, and a M&S suit is at least £300... That's just one suit. The majority of women's handbags cost in excess of £2,000. Again just one bag. Add to that some shoes, t shirts, jeans, etc etc. and depending on the length of the trip, I don't envisage that many people having less value in their case.
The only exceptions I envisage would be people travelling to beach resorts and perhaps people who are very savvy at shopping in Asian markets...
Rimowa isn't really considered 'luxury' luggage anyway, its more so meant to be considered high-end, durable, robust luggage. Rimowa is to Audi what Bentley is to LV.
The electronic tag is pretty useless at the moment by the way.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 2:00 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph
A few months ago they also heavily damaged my Rimowa suitcase and called it 'minor damage' for which they were not willing to provide any compensation. The damage was so sever the suitcase wasn't even square anymore. However, under the Montreal Convention Article 17 the airline is certainly liable for damage to baggage. Despite arguing my rights Etihad wouldn't butch.

I was 'lucky' that I missed my flight and was rebooked on Airberlin. As they were now the last leg of my journey and thus officially responsible for the luggage, I filed a claim with AB who repaired my suitcase no questions asked.
Can you direct me to which part of Montreal Convention Article 17 covers this, from what I saw this Article seems to be about personal injury.
I didn't have the luck of flying another airline on this trip, so my claim lies with Etihad and would like to present them with this information.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 3:07 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by akalra1187
Can you direct me to which part of Montreal Convention Article 17 covers this, from what I saw this Article seems to be about personal injury.
I didn't have the luck of flying another airline on this trip, so my claim lies with Etihad and would like to present them with this information.

Originally Posted by IATA
]Article 17
Death and Injury of Passengers — Damage to Baggage
1. The carrier is liable for damage sustained in case of
death or bodily injury of a passenger upon condition only
that the accident which caused the death or injury took place
on board the aircraft or in the course of any of the operations
of embarking or disembarking.
2. The carrier is liable for damage sustained in case of
destruction or loss of, or of damage to, checked baggage
upon condition only that the event which caused the
destruction, loss or damage took place on board the aircraft
or during any period within which the checked baggage
was in the charge of the carrier.
However, the carrier is not
liable if and to the extent that the damage resulted from the
inherent defect, quality or vice of the baggage. In the case
of unchecked baggage, including personal items, the carrier
is liable if the damage resulted from its fault or that of its
servants or agents.
3. If the carrier admits the loss of the checked baggage,
or if the checked baggage has not arrived at the expiration
of twenty-one days after the date on which it ought to have
arrived, the passenger is entitled to enforce against the
carrier the rights which ß ow from the contract of carriage.
4. Unless otherwise speciÞ ed, in this Convention the term
“baggage” means both checked baggage and unchecked
baggage.
https://www.iata.org/policy/Documents/MC99_en.pdf
Old Apr 17, 2017, 12:44 am

Originally Posted by akalra1187
You'd struggle to buy a branded suit for less than £1,000, and a M&S suit is at least £300... That's just one suit. The majority of women's handbags cost in excess of £2,000. Again just one bag. Add to that some shoes, t shirts, jeans, etc etc. and depending on the length of the trip, I don't envisage that many people having less value in their case.
I don't wrap my £1000 suit around my other clothes and put it into the hold. Nor does my wife shove all her stuff into her Mulberry handbag and shove it into the hold. The suitcase is there to protect its contents to its own detriment, Rimowa are look good items which on looking at the reports around the web are not fit for the purpose of protecting their contents.

My hard sided Samsonite is from circa 1984 still going very strong, yes there's wear and tear but the wheels work as do the handle just as they did on day one.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 2:05 am

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
£1000 suitcase?

LH refunded 100% of the purchase price of my Rimowa suitcase (Topas, EUR 700,-). I had to go to an authorized Rimowa dealer. He sent my suitcase to Rimowa and Rimowa checked the damaged. That has cost EUR 15,- (LH reimbursed that money as well). I've got the money from LH quite fast, took about two weeks. And I could keep the suitcase as well.

Anyway, since that incident I don't use suitcases any more, that are made of aluminium. I've bought two Salsa Deluxe instead and I'm happy with them.

Last edited by thbe; Apr 17, 2017 at 2:10 am
Old Apr 20, 2017, 12:26 am

So I wonder how many Rimowa owners have ever had their tag inserted in the way shown. I cannot imagine it ever happening
Dogmatick, this one is one of the new models with the E tag system, all bags manufactured before summer 2016 does not have this system. and I think they still produce the ones without e tags.

Currently only LH is using this system and I think UA and NH are the ones following "under test" (Star Alliance???) I do have one of these babies and like the OP got damaged in my last flight with QR. however the damage was on the combination pad and they agreed to fix it because I am gold, flying in J and my company buys bulk with them... however they did try to say it was not their fault as I notice the damage back home. (As I don't check the bag at airport and customs did not ask me to open the back there was no need to open the bag at the airport... sometimes airlines are silly)

Airlines always try to walk away from damaged bags as I believe most of the damage is done by airport services...

Last edited by LoungeBum; Apr 20, 2017 at 12:31 am
Old Apr 20, 2017, 1:05 am

My hard sided Samsonite is from circa 1984 still going very strong, yes there's wear and tear but the wheels work as do the handle just as they did on day one.
Mine too.... Samsonite Oyster. Havent seen anything as good anywhere else.

Just found a second one...used..on ebay...bought it immediately.

MOST womens handbags cost more than GBP 2000? Really? (I'm a bachelor..im asking..REALLY?)
Old Apr 20, 2017, 1:36 am

Originally Posted by trooper
Mine too.... Samsonite Oyster. Havent seen anything as good anywhere else.

Just found a second one...used..on ebay...bought it immediately.

MOST womens handbags cost more than GBP 2000? Really? (I'm a bachelor..im asking..REALLY?)
I use this one in bulk when moving countries... http://shop.samsonite.com/luggage/sa...40859XXXX.html sometimes you can get it for $150 in amazon or other websites... mines are 10 years old and the handle was damaged once and repaired by samsonite without any issue. this is one of the best and cheap hard cases out there with 10 years warranty
Old Apr 20, 2017, 12:57 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by trooper
Gucci, McQueen, Prada.

Fendi, LV & Dior are a fair bit more.

Hermes are considerably more than £2k.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.