Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Etihad Airways | Etihad Guest
Reload this Page >

Shifting allegiance away from Etihad to Emirates?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2017, 3:32 am
Original Poster

Is anyone else considering switching to Emirates Skywards (or even Qatar Airways) from Etihad following the recent drops in service levels all around?
One that will seal the deal for my shift of allegiance to Emirates is the removal of chauffer service for business class passengers on Etihad  This looks to be confirmed now.

I live in Abu Dhabi and with extra miles earning opportunities like CityMiles all over Abu Dhabi and the obvious proximity to the Abu Dhabi Int’l airport, I am evaluation my options carefully.

Having said that, the drops in F&B offerings in the premium caibins, all-too-frequent less friendly (read: overworked) flight attendants, and now the removal of chauffer service is inching me towards ditching Etihad (and my gold status).

Am wondering whether anybody else is in the same boat…
Old Mar 27, 2017, 3:57 am

Programs: Etihad Guest Platinum, BA Bronze, And EK silver
Wow! This is alarming! Can you please quote your sources with regards to the removal of chauffeur services?

I agree that there has been significant cost cutting everywhere across Etihad. However removing chauffeur driven services will be the last nail in the Coffin for me. I really hope they don't do that. What a disaster otherwise !

Originally Posted by jaejaez
Is anyone else considering switching to Emirates Skywards (or even Qatar Airways) from Etihad following the recent drops in service levels all around?
One that will seal the deal for my shift of allegiance to Emirates is the removal of chauffer service for business class passengers on Etihad  This looks to be confirmed now.

I live in Abu Dhabi and with extra miles earning opportunities like CityMiles all over Abu Dhabi and the obvious proximity to the Abu Dhabi Int’l airport, I am evaluation my options carefully.

Having said that, the drops in F&B offerings in the premium caibins, all-too-frequent less friendly (read: overworked) flight attendants, and now the removal of chauffer service is inching me towards ditching Etihad (and my gold status).

Old Mar 27, 2017, 5:16 am

Programs: EY Gold, QF WP

Already shifted to QR. As I live close to the airport the Chauffeur service is not a real point for me. I would not be surprised if EK dropped it in the next little while either. QR survives quite well without it, and it's an easy target for cost cutting.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 5:38 am
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by den3aah
Wow! This is alarming! Can you please quote your sources with regards to the removal of chauffeur services?

I agree that there has been significant cost cutting everywhere across Etihad. However removing chauffeur driven services will be the last nail in the Coffin for me. I really hope they don't do that. What a disaster otherwise !

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/etiha...ick-up-16.html
Old Mar 27, 2017, 5:51 am

Programs: EK Blue, EY Guest, AA, QR
I live a 15 minutes walk from Etihad Plaza, i.e. 5 minutes drive from the airport, and yet I have flown 4 times on EK and once on EY since I moved here
Old Mar 27, 2017, 6:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Reds2011
Already shifted to QR. As I live close to the airport the Chauffeur service is not a real point for me. I would not be surprised if EK dropped it in the next little while either. QR survives quite well without it, and it's an easy target for cost cutting.
It seems that EK have only just changed their entire fleet of business class limousines from their old Volvos to BMW 5 Series... doesn't seem like a move from an airline that is about to shred this perk?

Yes I have been looking into QR as well but without a viable QR credit card in the UAE, the miles (and status) would be much harder to come by... (QR is still in the cards though)
Old Mar 27, 2017, 7:20 am

Programs: Etihad Guest Platinum, BA Bronze, And EK silver
I meant , any official source that confirms the removal of chauffeur services ?
So far , it's based on unconfirmed rumours ....

Old Mar 27, 2017, 7:31 am
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by den3aah
I meant , any official source that confirms the removal of chauffeur services ?
So far , it's based on unconfirmed rumours ....
You asked for the sources. Not confirmation that it will happen @:-) There is no official word yet from EY (that is in the public domain).....
Old Mar 27, 2017, 7:47 am

It seems that EK have only just changed their entire fleet of business class limousines from their old Volvos to BMW 5 Series... doesn't seem like a move from an airline that is about to shred this perk?
The other thread linked a couple of posts before yours indicates EY will maintain chauffeur drive within the UAE. EK's new fleet in DXB doesn't rule out a similar cut.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 11:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ft101
The other thread linked a couple of posts before yours indicates EY will maintain chauffeur drive within the UAE. EK's new fleet in DXB doesn't rule out a similar cut.
Yes. Good point...
Old Mar 28, 2017, 3:29 am

Programs: EK Gold, EY Gold, QR Gold, Accor Platinum, HHonors Diamond
For those on here considering ditching EY to QR, we've applied for a UAE Citibank Emirates Ultimate card - this allows for QR Privilege Club Gold status. It does come with an annual fee of AED 800 but there are a couple of other perks apart from earning Skywards miles with every transaction...
Personally speaking, QR Gold seems a bit useless when flying premium cabin 99% of the time but it may be a good choice when starting off
Old Apr 1, 2017, 5:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GoldenCat_EK
For those on here considering ditching EY to QR, we've applied for a UAE Citibank Emirates Ultimate card - this allows for QR Privilege Club Gold status. It does come with an annual fee of AED 800 but there are a couple of other perks apart from earning Skywards miles with every transaction...
Personally speaking, QR Gold seems a bit useless when flying premium cabin 99% of the time but it may be a good choice when starting off
Thanks. Is this the one?
http://www.citibank.ae/uae/consumer/...i_ultimate.htm

Not sure if the QR Privilege Club Gold status is still offered, I don't seem to see it listed on the list of benefits on the page...
Old Apr 2, 2017, 12:45 pm

Yes, that's the one but this particular entitlement itself is directly linked to the MasterCard World Elite benefits. Hopefully, this link works for you - http://www.mastercard.com/mea/ae/con...=1&benefitID=5
Old Apr 3, 2017, 2:22 am

Originally Posted by GoldenCat_EK
FYI Citi Prestige or Premier would be the better choice if you will be flying QR rather than EY, as you still get QR Gold and the miles you earn can be transferred to QR, rather than being earned as Skywards.
Things like baggage allowance and extra award miles are still useful even when travelling in J.

On airlines like BA, the OW Sapphire is also useful for seat assignments (which is otherwise charged, even in J ).
Old Apr 3, 2017, 10:41 am

@stargold - thanks for chipping in, definitely valid points that I've overlooked. QR Gold is definitely a worthy status in the wallet while trotting around the globe - OW is the largest alliance and it has come handy on more than one occasion...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.