Involuntary Downgrade, scammed by EY

Old Mar 4, 17, 11:36 pm
Original Poster

Involuntary Downgrade, scammed by EY

I had an award ticket issued by AA for an EY flight DEL-AUH-SFO; the ticket was booked several months ago, all the way in F with seats confirmed.

Upon reaching the airport in DEL, I was informed that there was a change of aircraft and F was no longer offered on the DEL-AUH sector. They gave me a MCO (Miscellaneous Charges Order) for about INR 20,000 for the downgrade along with a letter of apology saying that the MCO was "cashable". The airport manager in DEL promised that I could exchange the MCO for cash at the EY counter in SFO.

After reachin SFO, the local manager there says that the MCO is only good for further transportation (i.e. buying a ticket on EY, which I have neither the need for nor the desire to do).

So what does one do in such a situation?
Old Mar 5, 17, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K, BA Silver, Accor Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold
Surprised you got anything on an award ticket.
The only thing due to you should be the difference in miles, in this case 0, since onward travel was still in F
Old Mar 5, 17, 1:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rankourabu View Post
Surprised you got anything on an award ticket.
The only thing due to you should be the difference in miles, in this case 0, since onward travel was still in F
So, do you mean to say that EY owes nothing for downgrading me?
Old Mar 5, 17, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K, BA Silver, Accor Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold
They owe you a difference in price paid between first and business, which in your case is, 0 miles.
If this was a paid ticket, you d get refunded the difference paid between the cabins.

Anything else is goodwill and discretionary compensation.
Old Mar 6, 17, 6:33 am
Suspended

Programs: Etihad Gold, Emirates Gold, SPG Gold, Accor Platinum
They owe you a difference in price paid between first and business, which in your case is, 0 miles.
If this was a paid ticket, you d get refunded the difference paid between the cabins.

Anything else is goodwill and discretionary compensation.
You're saying that it costs the same miles to fly in F or J?

Also, they won't straight away offer you the difference in fare. It depends how much you complain and which agent you get.

If I were in this situation and F meant that much more to me I'd of changed my flight. I wouldn't bother for DEL-AUH, it's a very short flight and makes hardly any difference. The AUH-SFO appears to be have flown in F which is where it would have made the difference.
Old Mar 6, 17, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by akalra1187 View Post
You're saying that it costs the same miles to fly in F or J?
It does, using AA miles, its the same price for
DEL-AUH-USA, whether both are in F or if its a mix of F/J
Old Mar 6, 17, 12:43 pm

I would do some searching on MCOs as some FT TAs might now the ins and outs of these - I don't think they can be cashed in?
Old Mar 6, 17, 12:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: Etihad Gold, Emirates Gold, SPG Gold, Accor Platinum
It does, using AA miles, its the same price for
DEL-AUH-USA, whether both are in F or if its a mix of F/J

Ah I see, I guess in the OP's situation it's the same but if it were EY guest miles or a cash fare, F and J costs would differ.
Old Mar 11, 17, 9:00 pm

I had a similar situation AA credited me back with miles and I also got vouchers which I ended up using for in-flight duty-free.
Old Mar 15, 17, 4:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by imverge View Post
I had a similar situation AA credited me back with miles and I also got vouchers which I ended up using for in-flight duty-free.
When you say "a similar situation", do you mean that you used AA miles for your award ticket and unwittingly got mixed carriage in classes other than what was booked? If so, how did AA compute the mileage credit?
Old Mar 16, 17, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by carpediem22 View Post
When you say "a similar situation", do you mean that you used AA miles for your award ticket and unwittingly got mixed carriage in classes other than what was booked? If so, how did AA compute the mileage credit?
Yes. It was booked with AA miles.

When I called AA and explained the situation the person didn't explain how they computed the mileage credit and I didn't ask because it was higher than what I expected... so I wasn't going to question it.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: