New to silver, how it works..?

Old Nov 24, 16, 12:59 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: AMS
Programs: SPG Platinum,HHonors Gold
Posts: 179
New to silver, how it works..?

Im sorry if this is already asked umpteen no. of occasions...

I will be hitting silver this December, then after how long is valid ? One year from the date achieving silver ? And when my tier miles will be re-set to zero, Jan 2017 or one year from Dec 2016 ?

As of now my wife is the head of the family ( irony..!! ) for the miles and she is without any status, is there a possible way that I can just swap places ? I would want to keep the rest of family members as such...!
isle11 is offline  
Old Nov 24, 16, 7:00 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 75
Originally Posted by isle11 View Post
Im sorry if this is already asked umpteen no. of occasions...

I will be hitting silver this December, then after how long is valid ? One year from the date achieving silver ? And when my tier miles will be re-set to zero, Jan 2017 or one year from Dec 2016 ?

As of now my wife is the head of the family ( irony..!! ) for the miles and she is without any status, is there a possible way that I can just swap places ? I would want to keep the rest of family members as such...!
Whenever you hit the mark, your status will be valid for the remainder of that calendar year, one whole calendar year, and the first three months of the subsequent year. So, in your case only few remaining days of Dec 2016, the whole of 2017, with status to expire end Mar 2018. That said, if you have the opportunity, maybe delay earning those miles before January - that will make your status valid until March 2019.

If you do earn your miles in December, you will need to earn 20,000 miles in 2017 to extend your status, or hit 50,000 in any 365 days to earn Gold. So, your tier miles do not reset, but unless you hit 50k before the end of 2017 - they de facto do.

Sorry, but I'm not really sure what do you exactly want with family head thing... Tier miles do not transfer, only Guest miles do - there is no way to transfer tier miles or give your Silver status to anyone. Whoever actually flies, gets tier miles - and the FF status. Bonus guest miles applicable for each tier will be earned depending on who flies, not the status of the family head.
meelosh is offline  
Old Nov 24, 16, 11:50 pm
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: AMS
Programs: SPG Platinum,HHonors Gold
Posts: 179
Originally Posted by meelosh View Post

Sorry, but I'm not really sure what do you exactly want with family head thing... Tier miles do not transfer, only Guest miles do - there is no way to transfer tier miles or give your Silver status to anyone. Whoever actually flies, gets tier miles - and the FF status. Bonus guest miles applicable for each tier will be earned depending on who flies, not the status of the family head.
What I meant to ask is, just making myself the head of the family i.e all the present guest miles to my account which as of now is in my wifes account. As of now Im the frequent traveler, and with all my miles getting credited to my wifes account, Im in a bit of handicapped situation if I need to make any upgrades for myself when I travel alone.

And thank you for the explaining the silver status part..Very clear..!!
isle11 is offline  
Old Nov 25, 16, 1:18 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Yorkshire & Bangsaen
Programs: HH - Diamond, EY Gold, MR Plat, SPG Plat
Posts: 474
Originally Posted by isle11 View Post
What I meant to ask is, just making myself the head of the family i.e all the present guest miles to my account which as of now is in my wifes account. As of now Im the frequent traveler, and with all my miles getting credited to my wifes account, Im in a bit of handicapped situation if I need to make any upgrades for myself when I travel alone.

And thank you for the explaining the silver status part..Very clear..!!
These miles in your wife's account can be used for any family member. The head of the family does not have to travel with you.

I have done this many times. I am head of family and have upgraded my wife and son on flights which I am not taking.
eddibabyyeah is offline  
Old Nov 25, 16, 4:02 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 353
switching family head is annoying and takes months. once a person has joined/eft a family you have to wait 3 months to do anything again.
mike84k is offline  
Old Nov 26, 16, 3:17 am
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: AMS
Programs: SPG Platinum,HHonors Gold
Posts: 179
Originally Posted by mike84k View Post
switching family head is annoying and takes months. once a person has joined/eft a family you have to wait 3 months to do anything again.
Okay, as I dont have a choice let me prepare myself to wait 3 months. But the miles now remains to the new family head ( which will be me ) right ?
isle11 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: