Wiki Posts
Search

Miles + Cash Redemption

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2016, 4:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM
Miles + Cash Redemption

I've read on a few travel blogs that you can purchase the remaining miles needed for a trip if you have at least 75% mileage cost in your account. Is this still an option? - many of the articles I've read are a few years old.

If this option is available, does the rate to pay for the additional miles vary by route or is it a fixed cost per mile? I'm interested in transferring Amex membership rewards for JFK to AUH first class and wanted to determine the minimum points I could transfer and pay for the rest.

Thanks for your help
Old Oct 1, 2016, 11:05 pm
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by nj1015
I've read on a few travel blogs that you can purchase the remaining miles needed for a trip if you have at least 75% mileage cost in your account. Is this still an option? - many of the articles I've read are a few years old.

If this option is available, does the rate to pay for the additional miles vary by route or is it a fixed cost per mile? I'm interested in transferring Amex membership rewards for JFK to AUH first class and wanted to determine the minimum points I could transfer and pay for the rest.

Thanks for your help
It appears as an option during the booking process - you can do a “dummy” booking & see for yourself - without completing the process.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 11:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NoY
It appears as an option during the booking process - you can do a “dummy” booking & see for yourself - without completing the process.
Thanks for the response, I currently have 0 Etihad guest miles in my account so I do not believe I can see the minimum miles required to book. I apologize if I'm missing something, but I do not have an option to proceed with a dummy booking as it says I do not have enough miles to continue with a booking.

I just wanted to verify if you only need 75% of the miles and can pay the rest in cash. If so, what rate does Etihad charge for the additional miles?
Old Oct 3, 2016, 7:10 pm

You dont need any miles to see how many you will need. but for award level ticket in first thats around 117k miles or 88k if you use the 75% miles. There will be an issue though as for some reason EY doesnt release any space for trips originating in the US. you would need to start in AUH for space to be available
http://www.etihad.com/en-ph/plan-and...ption-flights/
Old Oct 9, 2016, 8:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mike84k
You dont need any miles to see how many you will need. but for award level ticket in first thats around 117k miles or 88k if you use the 75% miles. There will be an issue though as for some reason EY doesnt release any space for trips originating in the US. you would need to start in AUH for space to be available
http://www.etihad.com/en-ph/plan-and...ption-flights/
Thanks for you response. So what I am trying to clarify is if the 75% miles options is available for all bookings and then what Etihad charges for the remaining miles. Is that a fixed rate per mile regardless of the route and class being booked or does it vary?

Thanks!
Old Oct 10, 2016, 4:40 am

pretty much yes. reasonable value for those extra miles
Old Oct 12, 2016, 12:04 pm

Programs: EY Guest Platinum; A3 Gold; Delta Platinum, BA Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by nj1015
Thanks for you response. So what I am trying to clarify is if the 75% miles options is available for all bookings and then what Etihad charges for the remaining miles. Is that a fixed rate per mile regardless of the route and class being booked or does it vary?

Thanks!
I choose this option when I book my award flights.
The value is mostly 0.8-0.9cent per mile. My first class award from auh to lhr was 65000 miles instead of 88000. I paid about 190€ to save 23000 miles, which is a good value for me.
Old May 15, 2018, 9:44 am
Suspended

Bumping an old thread - is it still reliably 75% of the total miles required and you can buy the rest?
Old May 16, 2018, 8:23 am

Programs: EY Gold
You have two options, one is a mixed miles redemption where if you have 75% of the miles you can pay the other 25% off at a reasonable rate with cash while making redeeming on etihad.com
If you don't have 75% then you can also buy miles at the website but they cost significantly more and you buy them on the etihad guest website rather than the etihad.com website.
Old May 16, 2018, 2:46 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG & Accor Plat...
Apologies if my memory has failed me but I think I saw an email offering a 20% bonus on EY miles bought this month....lucky you !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.