Community
Wiki Posts
Search

long layover in AUH on AA award ticket

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2016, 7:33 am
Original Poster

long layover in AUH on AA award ticket

i have an existing ticket in F from IAD to DEL via AUH. however, award space just opened up for the day before from DFW to DEL via AUH and i could then have a 20 hr layover in AUH (there is an earlier flight but i would want to spend more time there). few questions:

1- Does EY provide a hotel room? this is an AA award ticket in F
2- would i be able to use the chauffeur from the hotel to the airport?
3- can i choose to have my luggage go straight to DEL? i dont want to pick them up in AUH
4- what kind of visa would i need as an american citizen?
5- most importantly; is it worth it?

thanks!
Old Aug 9, 2016, 12:56 pm

Programs: BA Gold/OWE
1. No, but there are hotels to suit all budgets, near the airport and in the city
2. No, but taxis are very cheap by western standards and all are metered and govt regulated. Uber is available but more expensive
3. Yes, if the transit is <24hrs
4. The free 30-day one you receive on arrival. No forms, just join the line
5. Of course

When are you travelling ? It's pretty warm right now
Old Aug 9, 2016, 1:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sharp5flat9
1. No, but there are hotels to suit all budgets, near the airport and in the city
2. No, but taxis are very cheap by western standards and all are metered and govt regulated. Uber is available but more expensive
3. Yes, if the transit is <24hrs
4. The free 30-day one you receive on arrival. No forms, just join the line
5. Of course

When are you travelling ? It's pretty warm right now
thank you for the reply. I'm coming from Florida, so i'm used to the heat, but Abu Dhabi is on a whole other level! i would be traveling on friday 8/12 (if i change it) or 8/13 (current booking)
Old Aug 9, 2016, 1:39 pm

Programs: BA Gold/OWE
Fri/Sat is the weekend, so roads may be a little quieter at times but malls will be busier.

If you want to visit the grand mosque (and you should), it doesn't open to visitors until 4pm on Fridays.

The airport is 20 miles along the highway from downtown, so you could choose to stay in either area, or somewhere in between. The grand mosque is around half-way.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 2:13 pm

I love Abu Dhabi and a quick visit would be great. The Grand Mosque is a must visit. It's breathtaking. There's a lot of good things to do there, but it'll be a bit different in the summer heat. During the winter / spring I'd say go to the beach - the beaches on Saadiyat Island are fantastic. If I were you, I'd stay at the Eastern Mangroves Ananatara hotel - amazing location on the mangroves. Visit the Grand Mosque. Have dinner at Lebanese Flower restaurant near Al Wahda Mall. Visit the Emirates Palace h0otel for tea and maybe dinner at Hakkasan restaurant. Let me know if you have more questions.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 1:05 pm

Programs: AA CK / Marriott Worthless Ambassador
Same

Flying in F

MLE - AUH

10 hour layover

AUH-LAX

So we can choose to check my luggage all the way through if I want?

I assume we just stay at airport hotel.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 7:26 pm

Programs: QFF, AA, LM, EY
Originally Posted by JBauer
Flying in F

MLE - AUH

10 hour layover

AUH-LAX

So we can choose to check my luggage all the way through if I want?

Is it on the same ticket ?

If so then I'm sure the process would be to check your bags through to your final destination. They might ask you when you check-in at MLE just to confirm.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 6:06 pm

Programs: AA CK / Marriott Worthless Ambassador
Same ticket

Yes. Same ticket. Thanks.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 8:11 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by JBauer
Flying in F

MLE - AUH

10 hour layover

You can also use a room in the quiet area for a shower, sleep and relax. Not like a hotel, but it's free.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 4:19 pm

Programs: *$ Gold :)
Originally Posted by allset2travel
You can also use a room in the quiet area for a shower, sleep and relax. Not like a hotel, but it's free.
Where is it? In F lounge? In airport hotel? Just somewhere in airport?

Need your help. Possibly need to survive 20h layover on AA award F ticket. No free visa on arrival to me.
(Flying JFK-AUH-MLE in F if it matters.)
Old Sep 14, 2016, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by pier11
Need your help. Possibly need to survive 20h layover on AA award F ticket. No free visa on arrival to me.
(Flying JFK-AUH-MLE in F if it matters.)
Get a visa or change your itinerary is my advice. If I had no choice I'd book the Aerotel terminal hotel, but not cheap and quite drab.
Old Sep 16, 2016, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by Nizar
Is it on the same ticket ?

If so then I'm sure the process would be to check your bags through to your final destination. They might ask you when you check-in at MLE just to confirm.
What if it's two PNRs? I assume it wouldn't be an issue but is anyone here able to confirm that please?
Old Nov 7, 2018, 6:10 am

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Anyone familiar with the Aerotel properties at AUH? The website describes 2 location (Ground Level, International Departures, T1, Abu Dhabi International Airport and Arrivals (Secured Transit Area), T3, Abu Dhabi International Airport).

The downloadable map at that website then describes 3 properties (Ground Level, International Departures, Terminal 1, Abu Dhabi International Airport (within the airport secured area - transit, next to T1 Departure Passport Control) and Arrivals, Terminal 3, Abu Dhabi International Airport (within the airport secured area - transit, before T3 Arrival Passport Control) International Departures, Terminal 3, Abu Dhabi and International Airport (within the airport secured area -transit , accessible only from Departure Hall escalator near travellator to T1)).

Reads as though some rooms or locations may have shared bathrooms or no bathrooms.

Certainly would appreciate comments from those who are familiar with these properties.

Thank you.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 11:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by jasondc
I love Abu Dhabi and a quick visit would be great. ... Visit the Emirates Palace hotel for tea and maybe dinner at Hakkasan restaurant.
Be aware of the fact that shorts are not permitted in the hotel. Your car/taxi will be stopped at the gate near the street, and the guard will check to see if you're wearing shorts. If you are, that's as far as you'll get. Happened to me earlier this year, had to go to the nearest mall and buy some pants. All that said, it's definitely worth a visit. The hotel is incredible!
jasondc likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.