FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Etihad Airways | Etihad Guest (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/etihad-airways-etihad-guest-692/)
-   -   How bad is the contract lounge in DEL? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/etihad-airways-etihad-guest/1777747-how-bad-contract-lounge-del.html)

YuropFlyer Jul 12, 2016 3:59 am

How bad is the contract lounge in DEL?

Searched on the EY website, it says their contract lounge in DEL is the "Sheraton lounge" - I understand that in India, apparently hotels run airport lounges or something like that, but it seems it's more like a priority pass / whoever pays lounge, ie I can't expect much. I'll be at the airport roughly 5hrs before my departure, will that be any problem accessing the lounge? Are there showers which you would use (ie, not super gross?) - and what else is available? It will be a semi-night stay (Arriving on Jet) where I'll definitely stay airside, so it's pretty much down to the lounge..

Also, will I need a lounge pass or will the EY C boarding pass be enough?

Any experience/information highly appreciated, many thanks :)

erik123 Jul 12, 2016 11:33 am

They typically won't let you into the departures area until 3 hrs before the flight and the check-in desks won't be open in any case 5 hrs before.

EY uses the Plaza Premium lounge (if it hasn't changed) which is nothing special but good enough. The showers are well maintained.

YuropFlyer Aug 4, 2016 12:04 pm

To report back:

It was possible to do an airside transfer, but boy, that was really terribly organized, even for Indian levels.. some people snapped and started shouting at the staff, I stayed calm and got through transfer security after about 1 hour.. total madness.. and there weren't much people in the queue, just terribly bad organisation.

Then, it seemed the whole airport is heavily under-airconditioned, it was about 28C in the whole building - the lounge is basically just a cordoned-off area.

Oh, actually the (slightly nicer looking) Sheraton lounge was indeed NOT for EY, but as erik123 already noted, it was the Plaza "Premium" lounge.. which was anything but premium. And they only let me in after some discussion because apparently DEL airport isn't used to people showing up (from transit) without a lounge invitation..

Seats were dirty, it was cramped, toilets were ... dirty, the showers were (for some reasons) inop, and to be honest, I wouldn't have used them anyway after I saw the toilets.

Food was mediocre to say nicely, and the bar was kinda weird (heard others complaining about warm wine) - they had Kingfisher on tab (terrible) and Indian-brewed Foster's (slightly less terrible) - you couldn't sleep because of continual, extremely loud announcements about flights.

In short: One of the most terrible lounges (and airport in general) I've ever been. I'll try to actively avoid flying via DEL in the future.

The only good thing is that my luggage made it :D

Desirees Aug 5, 2016 10:55 am

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer (Post 27015551)
To report back:

It was possible to do an airside transfer, but boy, that was really terribly organized, even for Indian levels.. some people snapped and started shouting at the staff, I stayed calm and got through transfer security after about 1 hour.. total madness.. and there weren't much people in the queue, just terribly bad organisation.

Then, it seemed the whole airport is heavily under-airconditioned, it was about 28C in the whole building - the lounge is basically just a cordoned-off area.

Oh, actually the (slightly nicer looking) Sheraton lounge was indeed NOT for EY, but as erik123 already noted, it was the Plaza "Premium" lounge.. which was anything but premium. And they only let me in after some discussion because apparently DEL airport isn't used to people showing up (from transit) without a lounge invitation..

Seats were dirty, it was cramped, toilets were ... dirty, the showers were (for some reasons) inop, and to be honest, I wouldn't have used them anyway after I saw the toilets.

Food was mediocre to say nicely, and the bar was kinda weird (heard others complaining about warm wine) - they had Kingfisher on tab (terrible) and Indian-brewed Foster's (slightly less terrible) - you couldn't sleep because of continual, extremely loud announcements about flights.

In short: One of the most terrible lounges (and airport in general) I've ever been. I'll try to actively avoid flying via DEL in the future.

The only good thing is that my luggage made it :D

Wow - Thank you for the update. I fly into DEL from AUH and then only CCU - and it is scary to hear about the confusion and chaos!

erik123 Aug 5, 2016 11:36 am

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer (Post 27015551)
To report back:

I could've told you. I never do an airside transfer in DEL as there are only one (or two) screening stations, no premium line, and many guest workers on their way to the Middle East. Even a short line can easily take 30+ minutes. Instead, much better to go landside, get a hand luggage tag at check-in, and through security at departures. Typically 15-20 minutes.

miles4all Aug 7, 2016 3:10 am

There is a Holiday Inn Express next door to the lounges where you can stay. Airside if you wish.

The lounge is indeed very average without daylight........:-(

palermo Aug 7, 2016 6:10 pm

The lounge gets quite crowded as it used by BA, CX,QR and they do make announcements so not great for sleeping.

Furniture, floors and walls are very dark and there are no windows so it is not very uplifting and it does not look extremely clean

Food is poor but not worst than other plaza premium lounges.

It is not the worst lounge in the universe but hardly something to look forward to.

NoY Aug 7, 2016 6:32 pm

Given its Delhi & given its a contract lounge (even though PP are very decent in general) this lounge is fine for a quick pit stop & a cold one. Simple.

yabadoo Aug 8, 2016 12:38 pm

There are two Plaza Premium lounges, one is next to the entrance area of the Holiday Inn Express, the other is near the Air India Maharaja lounge. The one next to the Holiday Inn Express has no windows and generally is quite underwhelming in all respects. The one near the Air India Lounge is better, has more open lighting and general cleanliness is better, food and drink options are about the same.