Wiki Posts
Search

Etihad J/F v Emirates J/F

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2016, 3:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: *A
Question Etihad J/F v Emirates J/F

My wife and I will be flying next April from SEZ – ICN in J or perhaps First. We are Star Alliance flyers but there does not seem to be a good *A option. Going through ADD or IST these days do not appeal to a couple of retirees. The two carriers that make sense are Emirates and Etihad. Never experienced either carrier so we must rely on reviews. With both airlines having similar high ratings, it’s a tough choice

One option is EK on a 773ER and A388 with a 14 hour layover in DXB which includes Dubai connect. Departure from DXB is at 03:20.

The other option is EY on an A320 (no first) and A340 with a 3hr layover at AUH. Departure from AUH is 22:20 so closer to a normal sleep cycle.

The most important factor for us is a lie flat bed for the leg to ICN, which both airlines seem to have in J & F. I can’t tell if there is much difference between the airlines comparing J to J and F to F.

Food options are another factor. My wife has food allergies that do not fit any meal options but quite often if sauces can be left off the dishes she can work things out.

Another consideration would be the comfort of lounge at the hub.

We’d appreciate any feedback on our options. Thanks.
Old Jul 4, 2016, 6:01 pm

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
EK for sure. The ICN flights are on the 380s so regardless of if you are flying F or J, you have a bed. However, on EK you also have the onboard lounge, in F the showers & while Etihad now finally opened its F lounge, EKs lounge is IMO much nicer and plenty of couches to spread out and relax. If you have such a long layover, I also suggest booking a room IN THE AIRPORT hotel, one flight above the EK lounges - The fact EY only flys a small 320 on the first let (EK flys a 3 cabin 77W) & your ICN flight with EY is on an older 340 VS a brand new EK380

To me there is no decision to make, EK for sure but then I am a regular customer of EK, I only fly EY if it's on one of the very few flights they have using the 380.

As far as comfort of lounge and hub, one reason I avoid Etihad is they have a HORRIBLE ground service. You mentioned your wife's food allergies. Each of the 3 Emirates F lounges has a full time chef to take care of everything (I don't think business has this). Etihads new F lounge also now finally has a chef as well....but the lounge is very new, staff is still training - I'd hate to see a chef make a mistake when it comes to allergies (happened to me in the AF F lounge)

Last edited by chinatraderjmr; Jul 4, 2016 at 6:07 pm
Old Jul 5, 2016, 3:05 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
EK definitely. ground service at EY is terrible, and the aircraft choice makes EK more appearling. a 14h stopover to see Dubai and have a nice dinner in the city is also nice if you have Dubai Connect as you mention.

The A320 on the first leg on EY can't compare to an EK widebody. If you go F you can have a mid-air shower on the A380. In both J and F you can often ask them to leave the sauce off a meal as they are plated in-flight and ingredients kept separate until plating. Otherwise just order a special meal?
Old Jul 5, 2016, 6:16 am

I agree with chinatraderjmr and skywardhunter - I would go with EK as they offer a better product on both routes.
Old Jul 5, 2016, 9:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: *A
Thank you all for your replies. Wow, I am surprised that the EY forum overwhelmingly supports EK. I thought the two airlines were closer in service standards. Perhaps it just comes down to the aircraft.

When we first considered this route, I was intrigued to fly Emirates. Then I saw the flight schedule which made me look around. Perhaps I should just accept the wee hours in the morning departure.@:-)

Guess it is time to start reading up on what to do/see in Dubai for 14 hours.
Old Jul 5, 2016, 11:40 am
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by wrenz
Thank you all for your replies. Wow, I am surprised that the EY forum overwhelmingly supports EK. I thought the two airlines were closer in service standards. Perhaps it just comes down to the aircraft.

When we first considered this route, I was intrigued to fly Emirates. Then I saw the flight schedule which made me look around. Perhaps I should just accept the wee hours in the morning departure.@:-)

Guess it is time to start reading up on what to do/see in Dubai for 14 hours.
Its not the EK forum supporting EK its two loyal EK fliers giving their views

I am certainly NOT saying they are wrong - just saying

If you have tried EK (as I have) and was underwhelmed (like I was) you may think differently. Different strokes etc. etc.

I find EY’s style more appealing & I avidly collect their points which I find easier to do (along with better burn opportunities). It helps that I live most of the year in Abu Dhabi these days.
Old Jul 5, 2016, 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by NoY
Its not the EK forum supporting EK its two loyal EK fliers giving their views

I am certainly NOT saying they are wrong - just saying

If you have tried EK (as I have) and was underwhelmed (like I was) you may think differently. Different strokes etc. etc.

I find EY’s style more appealing & I avidly collect their points which I find easier to do (along with better burn opportunities). It helps that I live most of the year in Abu Dhabi these days.
There are reasons to prefer either airline. EK flys only wide bodies most of which are 3 class so that's the deal breaker for me. I love the 380 but must admit EY has a better F product on that one particular aircraft. The problem is EY only has a few of them and only uses them to a few destinations while EK will soon have 100 380's in the fleet & chances are if your flying to EUROPE, ASIA, N AMERICA OR AUSTRALIA on EK you'll have a 380. If I only flew to JFK then I might choose Etihad but I fly all over & out of 46 EK flights so far this year, 31 have been on the 380. EK is the only one of the ME3 to not operate any single aisle planes. It really makes a difference when you have a short flight such as to Doha & EK still gives you a bed

As far as collecting miles, if that's your goal Etihad wins hands down.....but the last thing I need is a free flight. I lucked out living in Dubai with a contract that states I fly F on any route, and almost any airline.

Then of course it depends on where u live if your based in the UAE. EK is Dubais airline K EY is Abu Dhabis. No one wants to shlep an extra hour or 2 to the airport

Bottom line, they are both great airlines. IMO When Etihad does something good, they do it GREAT!! But they still have a lot of teething problems (especially regarding ground service and delays) but I've gotta be fair. EK has been around longer and also had its share of problems in the late 90's and early 2000's. It took them a while to get the reputation they have and Etihad is on its own course to get its own stellar reputation.
Old Jul 10, 2016, 2:08 am

EY F has an onboard chef

Don't think EK does. The chef onboard will cook the food according to your requirement. The new EY F Lounge also has very attentive & personal service, which I'm sure can cook food according to your wish (I've personally met the lounge chef from Germany).
Old Jul 10, 2016, 2:33 am

EK F > EY F > EY J > EK J
That's the bottom line.
Old Jul 10, 2016, 4:58 am

Originally Posted by sushimaru
Don't think EK does. The chef onboard will cook the food according to your requirement. The new EY F Lounge also has very attentive & personal service, which I'm sure can cook food according to your wish (I've personally met the lounge chef from Germany).
The onboard chef can reheat pre loaded ingredients in a combination of your liking. Theres not much latitude.
Old Jul 10, 2016, 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
The onboard chef can reheat pre loaded ingredients in a combination of your liking. Theres not much latitude.
Could not have said it better myself. If most Large size private jets only can reheat pre loaded food, I doubt EY or EK can do a better job. What makes the meals a little better on EK so assume EY as well is they no longer package everything together - even little things like the side dishes are not packaged with the main course any longer. So If the steak says it comes w potatoes, and i want string beans instead, they can do that.......its the little things that count right??

One thing I dont get is LH has a regular skillet in the F galley where they make eggs in the morning.....fresh, not pre packaged, from raw to how ever you want them on a regular home or restaurant style skillet. (Why doesn't every airline have this in F built into the 380 galley??? If LH can do that then certainly there are other things they can actually cook on board (but of course they don't)
Old Jul 11, 2016, 2:54 am

Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
Could not have said it better myself. If most Large size private jets only can reheat pre loaded food, I doubt EY or EK can do a better job. What makes the meals a little better on EK so assume EY as well is they no longer package everything together - even little things like the side dishes are not packaged with the main course any longer. So If the steak says it comes w potatoes, and i want string beans instead, they can do that.......its the little things that count right??

One thing I dont get is LH has a regular skillet in the F galley where they make eggs in the morning.....fresh, not pre packaged, from raw to how ever you want them on a regular home or restaurant style skillet. (Why doesn't every airline have this in F built into the 380 galley??? If LH can do that then certainly there are other things they can actually cook on board (but of course they don't)
Wow surprised to hear that. Open flames not allowed to must be a ceran or convection type skillet but even then with fat spitting all over etc seems dangerous in a metal tube hurtling through the air. Fresh fried eggs on a plane sounds amazing. Could they do French toast?
Old Jul 11, 2016, 6:12 am

CX, SQ etc have also had freshly made fried eggs in F for a long time. There is some sort of a frying pan that they cook the eggs in, if I recall correctly.

CX and the Japanese airlines also have a rice cooker onboard for F, which means perfect freshly cooked rice.
Old Jul 11, 2016, 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by stargold
CX, SQ etc have also had freshly made fried eggs in F for a long time. There is some sort of a frying pan that they cook the eggs in, if I recall correctly.

CX and the Japanese airlines also have a rice cooker onboard for F, which means perfect freshly cooked rice.
The rice is steamed so no real danger there.

Your right, a number of airlines cook eggs to order but LH is the only airline I've seen where a true skillet BUILT IN to the galley. Airlines like SQ, CX, etc have this contraption you can buy on late night television (and if you order right now they will send you 2 - This thing does make fresh eggs and is actually better then a skillet as it makes perfect eggs every time but I don't think it can do omelettes. LH's skillet is usually covered but I watched them make eggs on one flight (yes, I was bored) and its kind of interesting the way they developed this thing to make sure hot oil, food don't go flying (no pun intended) thru the air. Its very deep and curved downward so liquid will go right into one of the 2 or 3 drains on the bottom
Old Jul 17, 2016, 3:28 pm

Programs: Miles&More AirNZ BA Emirates Finnair Plus
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Well, I just come back from Auckland on the AKL-DXB non stop. We were only 6 in F and the dinner was so horrible I couldn't eat it. I ended up having only two coffees and a croissant during a 17 h flight.
I guess I'm going to try Etihad next time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.