Wiki Posts
Search

Etihad cutting costs to the bone?

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2016, 12:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Many but loyal to none
Etihad cutting costs to the bone?

Sat here in BKK airport in Louis Tavern lounge as it looks like they have ditched Thai Orchid, whilst food and beverages are on a par, the size is tiny and no toilets, you have to use the public ones outside which unusuallly in my experience were run down and dirty.

On the way out from AMS again KLM have been dropped, although to be fair I did actually prefer their new partner which I think was aspire 41 or something.

But the main gripe is that on 3 of my last 5 sectors flown in J I have ordered my meal only to be informed at the time of service, not upon ordering, that there had been an error and my choice was no longer available.

The food in general seems to be reducing in quality, gone are the prawns or scallops for starters, or fillet of beef or lamb cutlets for main etc... unless I've been unlucky. Even the latest cheese board I had has shrunk to just Brie and Stilton, the Cheddar was no more.

Oh and we got bumped out of our chosen seats on one leg for no apparent reason.

Maybe I'm making mountains out of molehills but flying with them just seems to be losing it's sparkle. Here's keeping my fingers crossed my next flight is better.
Old May 29, 2016, 10:49 pm

Programs: EY Platinum
The food is definitely being cut back and that's been noticeable for at least the last 12 months.
Old May 30, 2016, 12:18 am

Programs: QR Platinum (Oneworld Emerald), AZ Freccia Alata (Skyteam Gold), Shangri-La GC (Jade)
This is typical of Gulf carriers. They offer splendid service at unbeatable price and then start cutting back once they feel that they have gathered enough loyal customers. Same with Qatar Airways. I havent flown Emirates enough to be able to judge objectively.
Old May 31, 2016, 2:05 am

There was a discussion a while back re. Louis Tavern at BKK and I have to agree it really is very poor standard. It is so small I saw people turned away when it was full which does not take long.
Might reconsider my carrier on next BKK flight.
Old May 31, 2016, 3:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by tafer2uk
On the way out from AMS again KLM have been dropped, although to be fair I did actually prefer their new partner which I think was aspire 41 or something.
Are you sure? The KLM Crown Lounge is still listed on Etihad's worldwide lounges page, and EY and KL have a codesharing relationship which makes it less likely that they would suddenly change this lounge arrangement.

ARe you sure your admittance to the Aspire lounge was not on the basis of Priority Pass membership or some other criteria that you may have? Or were you actually turned away from the KLM Crown Lounge?
Old May 31, 2016, 3:53 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Both Abu Dhabi and Qatar no longer want to subsidise the huge losses anymore
Old May 31, 2016, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by wandering_persian
This is typical of Gulf carriers. They offer splendid service at unbeatable price and then start cutting back once they feel that they have gathered enough loyal customers. Same with Qatar Airways. I havent flown Emirates enough to be able to judge objectively.
Could not agree more.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 7:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: Many but loyal to none
Originally Posted by irishguy28
Are you sure? The KLM Crown Lounge is still listed on Etihad's worldwide lounges page, and EY and KL have a codesharing relationship which makes it less likely that they would suddenly change this lounge arrangement.

ARe you sure your admittance to the Aspire lounge was not on the basis of Priority Pass membership or some other criteria that you may have? Or were you actually turned away from the KLM Crown Lounge?
Positive, we (the wife and I) didn't really pay much attention at check in and so actually went to the KLM lounge we had used in December, the lady at the desk checked with her colleague and advised us the arrangement had ended and kindly gave us directions to the Aspire lounge. We presented our boarding pass and were admitted.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wow....that really is strange.

And I don't see how it would save Etihad any money, as one would expect lounge access from KLM as part of the "normal" terms of their reciprocal codesharing agreement.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 9:35 am

Programs: EY Guest Platinum; A3 Gold; Delta Platinum, BA Silver, IHG Gold
It is possible to use all luis tavern lounges in BKK. Just walk the 20m to the next one (G4) and you will have a much larger lounge.

I never understood why people are complaining. The Thai lounge was as bad as te current one. So no downgrade at all. The only downgrade is for the guest who were entitled to use the Thai first class lounge
Old Jun 1, 2016, 3:44 pm
Formerly known as koeche

Programs: LX HON, QR Plat, Hilton Diamond, Windows 11, Adobe Creative Suite
Originally Posted by h1ghfly3r
I never understood why people are complaining. The Thai lounge was as bad as te current one. So no downgrade at all. The only downgrade is for the guest who were entitled to use the Thai first class lounge
That Thai First Lounge is also not on the same level anymore it used to be. Sure you get a lot of attention in there but food and drink selection became very mediocre.

The small Louis Tavern lounge is indeed a joke. I started to use the Oman Air Lounge (with Priority Pass) which is a quite nice alternative (when it's not crowded). It's next to the E gates from where EY is mostly departing.
Old Jun 4, 2016, 12:18 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold, Etihad Gold
The small Louis Tavern lounge is indeed a joke. I started to use the Oman Air Lounge (with Priority Pass) which is a quite nice alternative (when it's not crowded). It's next to the E gates from where EY is mostly departing.

Agree the Louis Tavern Lounge is a joke was there in Jan. I have recently booked two more flights from AMS-BKK Rtn in Business Class, sadly Etihad have lost my business to Qatar Airways gain. I have voted with my feet on this one, sorry Etihad but Jetihad one minute and Louis Tavern the next is enough to drive anyone away. I wonder what is on their agenda next?
Old Jun 6, 2016, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think I figured out why EY stopped using the KL lounge at AMS.

Jet Airways recently moved their European stopover from BRU to AMS, and they use the Aspire lounge at AMS. I guess it makes more sense, then, for EY to also use this lounge given that Jet is one of the Etihad Airways Partners, too. They perhaps were able to negotiate an even more competitive rate by joining up in this manner.
Old Jun 11, 2016, 10:12 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by h1ghfly3r

I never understood why people are complaining. The Thai lounge was as bad as te current one. So no downgrade at all.
Exactly my thought. TG lounges are bad and even Star Alliance elites often use SQ or BR lounge.
Old Jun 26, 2016, 4:03 pm

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
The Louis Tavern lounge under the airside LT hotel seems to at least have room to stretch out. I get they are trying to save money but it's disgusting that Etihad even puts its F passengers in the Louis Tavern lounges. They should shell out a few extra bucks to find a nicer lounge for F pax at the very least

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.