Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Etihad + Precleareance at AUH

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2016, 7:18 pm
Original Poster

Etihad + Precleareance at AUH

I will be flying on Eithad Business class on May 22-23 from BOM-AUH-SFO. Just wanted to know how precleareance works. Your feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Old May 18, 2016, 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by vishal407
I will be flying on Eithad Business class on May 22-23 from BOM-AUH-SFO. Just wanted to know how precleareance works. Your feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Pretty easy, in order to get to the US-gates you need to go through an extra security screening followed by US-immigration (just like it would be in the US, including 2 Global Entry terminals). You cannot get out of this area anymore. There is a small (usually crowded) business lounge in pre-clearance area. Good thing is that you arrive in SFO like a domestic flight, you just walk out of the airport, that's it!
Old May 19, 2016, 10:00 pm

It is a pretty effortless process, especially if you have Global Entry. I had the dreaded SSSS and I was still through security and customs in minutes. There were only a couple Global Entry kiosks but people moved through quick. The area was decently staffed for a the night flight block. The post customs lounge is a bit lackluster but functional.
Old May 20, 2016, 1:10 am

I was unlucky last time I flew to the US and got the SSSS on my boarding pass. It took more than an hour just to clear security and 1 hour and 15 min in total.

This was last year, so the the process might be quicker now.
Old May 20, 2016, 8:14 am

my experience is different.

I got the SSSS when leaving AUH for the States multiple times. I dreaded it. But each time this meant that they put me in my own security line - all the way to the right in the hall - and I was through more quickly than if I was using the normal First/Business/Priority Line. I didn't mind it one bit.

Originally Posted by milesinthemiddleeast
I was unlucky last time I flew to the US and got the SSSS on my boarding pass. It took more than an hour just to clear security and 1 hour and 15 min in total.

This was last year, so the the process might be quicker now.
Old May 20, 2016, 6:24 pm

Location: Happily living in Frenaros Cyprus having escaped the near-death experience called Sofia Bulgaria
Programs: Etihad Guest Gold, DL FO and 1MM, and a bunch of others at a low level
My experience was the same as jasondc's. I expected the worst and it was a piece of cake. This was November 2015.
Old May 20, 2016, 9:49 pm

Programs: AA 3MM EXP, SQ Solitaire, LH SEN, CX DM, Hyatt CC, Marriott LT Titanium
just went through yesterday and got SSSS... took about 10 mins waiting for the people in front of me to go through, but the actual process was really fast... there were not many people when I went through for the JFK flight..
Old May 22, 2016, 8:18 pm

Just recently saw that Etihad is a PreCheck partnered airline so is there any PC lines for the extra security screening or is it typcial UAE security procedures? Realistically when the new F lounge opens, how much time with a F pax with GE need to get to the gate in time for boarding on the early AM JFK-bound flight? Thanks
Old May 22, 2016, 8:42 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Vishal We do this trip twice a year. Very easy.If you have to kill more than 1.5 hours visit the main lounge first. Better all around. At destination you disembark like a domestic pax and pick up luggage in the domestic area. Take advantage of the chauffer service at both ends.
Old May 24, 2016, 7:52 pm

Sorry to come across as dense, but do ALL EY passengers on the flights out of AUH have to clear US customs in AUH or is it a choice whether you clear on the AUH side or US side?
Old May 24, 2016, 7:56 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by MCIdave
Sorry to come across as dense, but do ALL EY passengers on the flights out of AUH have to clear US customs in AUH or is it a choice whether you clear on the AUH side or US side?
YES for all pax departing for US from AUH. Customs & Immigration.
Old May 24, 2016, 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by MCIdave
Does that choice make sense to you? Carry a kilo of heroin, let your friend clear customs in AUH but don't clear it yourself, hand him/her the heroin on the plane. Nice work if you can get it, but you can't.
Old May 25, 2016, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
Does that choice make sense to you? Carry a kilo of heroin, let your friend clear customs in AUH but don't clear it yourself, hand him/her the heroin on the plane. Nice work if you can get it, but you can't.
Yes in retrospect I'm not sure why I couldn't get my brain wrapped around it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.