Search

The "Inflight Chef" fallacy

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2016, 8:52 am
HB7
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec Club, SIA KrisFlyer, Qantas FF, Emirates Skywards
The "Inflight Chef" fallacy

I think it has got to a point where Etihad need to stop advertising this feature as it is a downright disgrace. Of all flights I have ever taken in first and business class, with many of the world's top carriers, Etihad's food has been consistently below par when comparing it to other carriers.

I stepped off EY 454 (AUH-SYD) tonight (I was flying apartments) well and truly disgusted with the quality and set up of the food. I ordered the steak with roast potatoes and vegetables and the jus as a sauce. The meal I got was a bad steak, no vegetables and a sauce that definitely wasn't a jus and what appeared to be a cheap mushroom like sauce you get from a no-frill canned product from the supermarket.

Further, the bread basket was just full of cheap quality bread. The garlic bread in particular was horrendous - nothing even close to what is served on the likes of SQ and EK. I will be writing to EY in regards to this because it is not good enough.

Now I know food on board is only re-heated and there is no stove or fire, but how does an airline claim to have a "chef" on board when these people really aren't chefs? This is not my first or second flight with Etihad either - and every time the food has been of low quality. The other airlines have done amazing jobs with all types of different dishes and don't claim to have a chef on board. Etihad are fooling everyone by this claim because some of these guys probably don't know the first thing about preparing food or cooking, let alone being called a chef.

It would be interesting to see the "credentials" of these "chefs" - because anyone who is a decent cook wouldn't prepare food as badly as I have had the displeasure of having aboard most of my Etihad flights.

In all honesty, Etihad should be taken to task over this, because they use it as a marketing tool - and it is nothing short of a complete lie and sham advertising.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
On my one and only F trip on EY to date - AUH-GRU - when I pushed the call button to request that I now have dinner, I was told that the chef was off duty.

The FA pushed the necessary buttons to fill the oven with steam, and the meal she dished up was better than the one it sounds like you had to endure.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 11:38 am

I was on EY 454 as well a couple months ago and the chef was very disinterested in being there and put the minimum amount of effort into the food service for this segment and the quality was very unmemorable to say the least. I will say the desserts were very good which is becoming EY's strong point but chances are these are made in AUH and just plated in the air. Steak sandwich has also gone downhill too.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 1:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: EK Plat, UA GS, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Amex Centurion
I've been on a few EY F flights and the chef is always wonderful and friendly, but I agree the food isn't that great. But you can't really blame the chef. They're working with what EY gives them.

On the bright side, be happy they had food left for you and didn't run out which seems to happen way to often on EY!
Old Feb 19, 2016, 1:16 pm

I was on EY 102 JFK-AUH F last month and returned to the USA in F to LAX. On both flights I had great meals and very good service from the chefs. The meals were definitely customized and the meat I had was cooked to my specification. That said, the quality of the water (al ain - really? it use to be acqua panna) and the steak sandwich has gone downhill. Also - no caviar? at that level of a product? They should offer it. That said, I was pleased with the service and food quality I had on my flights.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 6:10 pm

BTW are the on-board chefs trained in the safety aspects of the cabin crew job and are they licensed as cabin crew?
Old Feb 19, 2016, 7:21 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
I imagine the quality of the food depends on a few variables. Where the food is prepared and how much the airline is willing to pay for the food. SQ in Y on my JFK-FRA flights has been great and J just as good. LX I have found out of LAX & JFK is almost as good as out of ZRH. I believe that in general that the home bases have the better quality food for airlines and some out stations they may get poorer contract rates because of limited service. I don't know beef prices in Australia but that may impact the quality given.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 8:45 pm
formerly ThePinkUnicornShirtGuy

Programs: Delta Diamond
Do you think a nice large pre-tip for the chef/F crew help?
Old Feb 20, 2016, 1:25 am

Originally Posted by Yoshi212
I believe that in general that the home bases have the better quality food for airlines and some out stations they may get poorer contract rates because of limited service. I don't know beef prices in Australia but that may impact the quality given.
A nice, elaborated theory with a very weak point in this particular case

OP flew EY 454 (AUH-SYD) --> EY home base - Australia
Old Feb 20, 2016, 3:03 am
HB7
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec Club, SIA KrisFlyer, Qantas FF, Emirates Skywards
Originally Posted by ThePinkUnicornShirtGuy
Do you think a nice large pre-tip for the chef/F crew help?
I don't it would matter as most of these proclaimed "chefs" have probably never seen the inside of a kitchen.
Old Feb 20, 2016, 5:00 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by ASUDan130
Steak sandwich has also gone downhill too.
Had one yesterday. Worse than a motorway service station offering.

Shame as they used to be very enjoyable.
Old Feb 20, 2016, 8:25 am

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
Originally Posted by HB7
I don't it would matter as most of these proclaimed "chefs" have probably never seen the inside of a kitchen.
On each of the F flights on EY I have taken, the chef has been pleased to describe the restaurants they have worked in.

They are also trained as flight attendants.
Old Feb 20, 2016, 12:18 pm

yes

they're fully trained on all aspects of the job.

Originally Posted by IAD_flyer
BTW are the on-board chefs trained in the safety aspects of the cabin crew job and are they licensed as cabin crew?
Old Feb 20, 2016, 2:00 pm

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
There's a bit of an oxymoron in your comments. No cooking takes place on board the aircraft and yet you question the qualifications of the onboard 'chef' when the biggest problem seems to be the food that is boarded on the ground. I certainly hope that the onboard kitchen staff do not have traditional food preparation training as that would only be frustrating for the staff as it would be a waste of their skills. They should, however, be specially trained for onboard reheating and plating. Any airline calling their onboard kitchen staff 'chefs' is really just a marketing ploy. I have had great food from airlines who do not use this term and lousy food from airlines that do. One of the first airlines to use this term was Austrian airlines. As a marketing ploy, it worked, because the airline put a great deal of attention intolerant food that was boarded in the first place. Unfortunately, not all the other airlines which have adopted this marketing follow through with good, on-the-ground preparation.
Old Feb 20, 2016, 4:39 pm

Programs: BA emerald, AF rouge ,UA premier executive, SQ,ANA, HYATT,, AMENITI
Maybe they can also change the food on the menu, same choices for the last few years, in B or F. I agree, the steak sandwich was always a safe choice but not lately.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.