Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AUH pre-clearance situation these days

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2016, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by as219
Was curious about the preclearance situation these days...

We're in F AUH-JFK on the 3:30am flight. We're connecting, so checkin isn't an issue. But really, how long before 3:30am do we need to leave the F lounge? We both have Global Entry. Surely it doesn't take two hours to make it from lounge to plane? Does it?
In my experience 45 minutes is more than sufficient - 60 if you want to play it safe. Departure will likely be delayed by 30-60 minutes in any case.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 4:12 pm

My problem was that the flight to ORD is the last of the night departure group, at 3:55am, so by the time I went through about 45min in advance, the preclearance hall was empty and everyone was eager to go home. The immigration officer didn't hassle me, but was clearly restless. You don't want to get an immigration officer upset.

My recent flights out of AUH have not been more than 15 min late taking off, and have arrived early. Perhaps they have reduced the delays of the early days of preclearance. The gate area is extremely crowded, however.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 4:42 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by erik123
In my experience 45 minutes is more than sufficient - 60 if you want to play it safe. Departure will likely be delayed by 30-60 minutes in any case.
That seems a bit more reasonable than the two hours in advance I keep hearing about. ^
Old Dec 13, 2016, 4:05 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
I go 60 min before departure and that includes time for customs as I travel with samples that I must pay duty on (refuse to cut them so samples are not duty free). Takes no more then an extra 10-15 min
Old Jun 28, 2019, 12:45 am
Suspended

Reviving an old thread. I would appreciate any updates on the pre-clearance at AUH. I have a flight in F AUH-JFK coming up and have Global Entry/US Passport. I know its during the bank of US bound flight departures in the morning so I wondered are there problems heading to pre-clearance around 45 minutes to departure vs 60? Are GE kiosks up and working? Separate lines for GE and/or premium passengers? Id like to use the F lounge for an hour or so before heading to the flight and dont want to just wait around in the much smaller lounge after pre-clearance. Thanks in advance!
Old Jun 28, 2019, 2:21 am

Programs: QR - plat (OWE), AI - Maharajah (* gold), Bonvoy - plat, HH - gold, Shangri La - jade, Sixt - plat
I'm keenly following this thread.

We are in J on the 9:35am EY101 to JFK on July 14 (mid July, Sunday - if that matters). This is our first US bound flight on EY since pre-clearance started in AUH. What time should we leave the J lounge? We are travelling on non-US passports and don't have GE.

If on time, we arrive in AUH at 7am and would ideally like to visit the J lounge for a shower and breakfast prior to clearing US immigration as I understand the lounge post immigration has no shower facilities and very little F&B.

Last edited by vbh812; Jun 28, 2019 at 2:35 am
Old Jul 7, 2019, 11:16 am

I would be interested to know as well. We will be flying jnb/auh/iad next may and would love an update.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 11:17 pm

Programs: EY Plat, Accor Plat
its fairly quick ive found, though the ESTA terminals haven't been working the last 2 times over goner though it.

I usually go to the gate and the PC facility 30mins before departure. there is also a small crappy J,F lounge after the facility too...
Old Jul 8, 2019, 4:15 pm

kelix how was the ey security lane that you have to clear before you get to the us customs pre clearnce?
Old Jul 10, 2019, 8:27 am

Programs: EY
I went a few months ago, they wouldn't even let me into the business class lounge at T-88. Boarding time on our boarding pass was T-90, which I presume in this case means report to the PC 90 minutes before the flight. When we reached the PC at T-90 they were doing 'final calls' for our flight. Ridiculous considering we were USC with GE. We ended up just waiting around near the gate eating $8 slices of pizza. Terrible.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 5:47 pm

Thanks xobile. It doesn't sound good.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 5:19 am
Suspended

To update, I showed up at the pre clearance around 930AM for the 1030AM departure to IAD. I have a US Passport and Global Entry so it was a breeze as there are the GE machines and a specific lane to use to see an official. I frankly think the whole pre clearance thing is silly and EY should end it because there is still waiting around and they started looking for me in the EY First Lounge around 845AM to send me to the pre clearance area where I would have had to simply sit around. It does not make for a pleasant experience and would be so much nicer just to walk to the gate to board rather than feeling pressure to get through formalities so far in advance of the flight and then have to wait around in the much smaller (and crowded) lounge or departure area.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 7:12 am

Programs: EY
Originally Posted by Fly_IAD
To update, I showed up at the pre clearance around 930AM for the 1030AM departure to IAD. I have a US Passport and Global Entry so it was a breeze as there are the GE machines and a specific lane to use to see an official. I frankly think the whole pre clearance thing is silly and EY should end it because there is still waiting around and they started looking for me in the EY First Lounge around 845AM to send me to the pre clearance area where I would have had to simply sit around. It does not make for a pleasant experience and would be so much nicer just to walk to the gate to board rather than feeling pressure to get through formalities so far in advance of the flight and then have to wait around in the much smaller (and crowded) lounge or departure area.
When they looked for you in the lounge at 845 did they find you and ask you to go, or did you just keep your head down and keep to yourself?
Old Jul 11, 2019, 7:51 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by xobile
When they looked for you in the lounge at 845 did they find you and ask you to go, or did you just keep your head down and keep to yourself?
They did advise me to leave and I told the agent I would shortly and that I had GE so I didnt want to go so early and she left it at that.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 7:41 pm

Thanks Fly-IAD for the updated information. Maybe when I fly this route early next may things will have been sorted out. One can always hope.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.