FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Etihad Airways | Etihad Guest (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/etihad-airways-etihad-guest-692/)
-   -   Short 800 Miles For upgrade to next tier (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/etihad-airways-etihad-guest/1725848-short-800-miles-upgrade-next-tier.html)

rchapti Nov 20, 2015 12:06 am

Short 800 Miles For upgrade to next tier

Hi Guys,

I couldn't find a thread regarding this.

I am short 838 miles to my next tier, is there any possible chance EY will honour that and upgrade me to new tier?

Please share your experience and knowledge.

Thanks,
Rizwan

nux Nov 20, 2015 2:19 am

See: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/etiha...ier-miles.html

DavethSYD Nov 20, 2015 3:17 am

I was around 300 short at one point and they wouldn't bump me up - as with most Etihad Customer Service experiences YMMV.

My last SYD-LHR return managed to get me to gold this time thankfully.

Edit: I emailed 2/3 times and called a couple of times and even with 2 return trips Aus-UK already booked and paid for they wouldn't budge...

SuiteFlight Nov 20, 2015 4:00 am

Originally Posted by DavethSYD (Post 25744484)
I was around 300 short at one point and they wouldn't bump me up - as with most Etihad Customer Service experiences YMMV.

My last SYD-LHR return managed to get me to gold this time thankfully.

Edit: I emailed 2/3 times and called a couple of times and even with 2 return trips Aus-UK already booked and paid for they wouldn't budge...

Authority levels tend to be low with ME3 frontline staff, and there is a moderate inhibition to forward things up, so I wager it's more about these organisational aspects than Etihad just being stubborn or uncaring. Sometimes logic hits road blocks (it is, after all, a very modest request made). Luckily you got over the line on your own activity anyway.

Out of interest, when you requalified for Gold, how long did they extend your status? I've read you don't get as much as the first time you qualify.

amnicoll Nov 20, 2015 4:44 am

I am not sure what there is for Etihad to "honour" you have not reached the qualification threshold

mlqsko Nov 20, 2015 6:32 am

Originally Posted by amnicoll (Post 25744645)
I am not sure what there is for Etihad to "honour" you have not reached the qualification threshold

This.

rchapti Nov 20, 2015 1:31 pm

Thanks guys,

I have emailed them. Will wait and see what happens. Will let you all know the outcome

yabadoo Nov 23, 2015 8:49 am

Don't hold your breath, they go by their book, even if you're 1 mile short, you will be denied. No interest or incentive to bump you to Gold, nothing in it for them.

gmoule Nov 26, 2015 3:47 am

They have to have a cut off point at some point,as stated what's in it for them to gift you another 800 points,they do sometimes email offers offering double it triple tiermiles to get you up a status,however you would then be spending money with them

a310pilot Nov 26, 2015 8:44 pm

I don't understand "what's in it for them" comments.

Who is to say... this little gesture might make a long life customer out of him? You never know and from marketing stand point. It works. next thing you know he could be telling all his family, friends, coworkers, online forums of what just happened and how nice Etihad guest services are... might even change how I view Etihad guest services. LOL

Besides Eithad card won't be much benefit to him if he won't fly Etihad. so even if he gets his next tier. if he don't fly Etihad or etihads nest of airlines this card will be worthless to him. So who ultimately wins?

amnicoll Nov 27, 2015 5:24 am

Originally Posted by a310pilot (Post 25777087)

Who is to say... this little gesture might make a long life customer out of him? You never know and from marketing stand point. It works. next thing you know he could be telling all his family, friends, coworkers, online forums of what just happened and how nice Etihad guest services are... might even change how I view Etihad guest services. LOL

Besides Eithad card won't be much benefit to him if he won't fly Etihad. so even if he gets his next tier. if he don't fly Etihad or etihads nest of airlines this card will be worthless to him. So who ultimately wins?

I agree on the marketing aspects but OP was implying that he was entitled to this (asking if Etihad would honor it) and in my experience attitude can make a huge difference. Assuming he is only 800 miles short it is a reasonable assumption that he will get the card anyway after the trip

mlqsko Nov 27, 2015 6:11 am

Originally Posted by a310pilot (Post 25777087)

Where do you draw the line of the little gesture? At 800, 900, 1000, 1500, 2000 miles? If they make one exception and it goes public, imagine how many more will ask.

Rules are rules and they are for everyone. This is not the farmers market.

Abumark Nov 28, 2015 12:32 am

earn points with an EY partner

can you try to earn those points with an etihad partner? Rotana offer 500 miles for a night stay in their hotels. And you can get another 500 for hiring a car for a day.....

gkl Nov 28, 2015 4:54 am

OP is looking for Tier miles, not Guest miles from hotel nights or rentals

a310pilot Nov 28, 2015 7:07 am

Originally Posted by mlqsko (Post 25778207)
Where do you draw the line of the little gesture? At 800, 900, 1000, 1500, 2000 miles? If they make one exception and it goes public, imagine how many more will ask.

Rules are rules and they are for everyone. This is not the farmers market.

That's up to Etihad I suppose. Just stating my point of view. I personally doubt anything will be done. unless it ends up at a higher desk - who could just wave it.

My experience unrelated to thing... has made me a long life customer of Lexus. I wouldn't buy any other car period. Long story short... They paid to fix my long out of warranty car ($6000+ cost) and sent me a nice flower banquet to say... we stand by our product and want you to be satisfied. It's been 14 years and I've been driving Lexus only. I suppose $6000 has paid off by few folds by now...

Some airlines do little gestures more than others. My personal experience KLM before AF. Used to do little things like this.