Guest Award Points & 25% Cash Option?

Old Nov 19, 15, 4:32 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2010
Programs: QFF, Krisflyer
Posts: 448
Guest Award Points & 25% Cash Option?

Hi,

I have read where when booking a reward flight you can use 75% in points and pay the remainder 25% in cash. Does anyone know how much Etihad charges per point so I can calculate what the 25% part would cost?
spizzy is offline  
Old Nov 19, 15, 11:32 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Dublin
Programs: EY Platinum/M&M Gold
Posts: 813
Do a dummy booking at it will tell you. It gives you the option on a sliding scale of 100% miles down to 75% and all the points in between. Generally i think go for max cash as i perceive it good value but I can't recall a conversion ratio..I suppose it also depends on the miles you have to burn..
irish mark is offline  
Old Nov 19, 15, 12:35 pm
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2010
Programs: QFF, Krisflyer
Posts: 448
Hi. I haven't transferred any points over to EY yet and so it won't give me any options or amount, hence asking here before I do so.
spizzy is offline  
Old Nov 19, 15, 2:45 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: AUH
Posts: 7,541
It's 310AED per 1,000 miles
stargold is offline  
Old Nov 19, 15, 3:28 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: KYE
Posts: 4,146
Originally Posted by stargold View Post
It's 310AED per 1,000 miles

That's misleading. The rates vary by route and class.
edy4eva is offline  
Old Nov 19, 15, 4:28 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: AUH
Posts: 7,541
Originally Posted by edy4eva View Post
That's misleading. The rates vary by route and class.
Ah, I tested this just on AUH-DOH and made a mental calculation which I thought sounded about right, but now realise the figure I had in mind was 31AED rather than 310AED!

On longer routes I recall it is in fact more like ~10USD per 1,000 miles. What are the prices?
stargold is offline  
Old Nov 19, 15, 6:03 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Programs: QF(Platinum) VA(Platinum) EY(Platinum) NZ(Gold) AZ(Platinum) SPG(Gold)
Posts: 278
Originally Posted by edy4eva View Post
That's misleading. The rates vary by route and class.
Irish Mark's advice is the most appropriate - just dummy book it. After all, if you don't already have the 75% minimum, it's a moot point anyway. That way you really know the facts, not supposition.

Last edited by SuiteFlight; Nov 19, 15 at 11:07 pm
SuiteFlight is offline  
Old Nov 19, 15, 10:07 pm
  #8  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2010
Programs: QFF, Krisflyer
Posts: 448
Originally Posted by edy4eva View Post
That's misleading. The rates vary by route and class.
Thanks for the response. So there isn't just a standard cost per mile. Would you consider though $10USD per 1000 a good mid point or are some higher and some lower?

Originally Posted by SuiteFlight View Post
[redacted]
Irish Mark's advice is the most appropriate - just dummy book it. After all, if you don't already have the 75% minimum, it's a moot point anyway. That way you really know the facts, not supposition.
Not really as I would like to work out the all in costs before transferring points over from Amex or just AA miles. I don't want to transfer 75% of the points over just to see the result in cost for the remaining 25% to only find out it would of been better to use my AA miles and now my Amex ones are stuck in Etihad Guest. Hence asking the members here.

Last edited by spizzy; Nov 19, 15 at 10:17 pm
spizzy is offline  
Old Nov 19, 15, 10:31 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Programs: QF(Platinum) VA(Platinum) EY(Platinum) NZ(Gold) AZ(Platinum) SPG(Gold)
Posts: 278
Originally Posted by spizzy View Post
Not really as I would like to work out the all in costs before transferring points over from Amex or just AA miles. I don't want to transfer 75% of the points over just to see the result in cost for the remaining 25% to only find out it would of been better to use my AA miles and now my Amex ones are stuck in Etihad Guest. Hence asking the members here.
If you don't have the points already in Etihad Guest yourself, I'm sure someone (I can do it) can run a dummy booking for you. You'll need to let the thread know what route it is that you want however (your post doesn't say).
SuiteFlight is offline  
Old Nov 19, 15, 11:42 pm
  #10  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2010
Programs: QFF, Krisflyer
Posts: 448
Appreciated SuiteFlight. MEL-AUH In First and AUH-ATH in Business. If you could advise me the 25% point cost and taxes for each leg.

Any date where there is Guest First and Guest Business availability would be fine as it would give me an accurate idea of cost.
spizzy is offline  
Old Nov 20, 15, 12:20 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Programs: QF(Platinum) VA(Platinum) EY(Platinum) NZ(Gold) AZ(Platinum) SPG(Gold)
Posts: 278
Originally Posted by spizzy View Post
Appreciated SuiteFlight. MEL-AUH In First and AUH-ATH in Business. If you could advise me the 25% point cost and taxes for each leg.

Any date where there is Guest First and Guest Business availability would be fine as it would give me an accurate idea of cost.
MEL-AUH First (One-Way)
Minimum miles 93,227 :-: Max Cash $690.63AUD
---
Max Miles 124,763 :-: Min Cash $292.02AUD (just taxes, fees, and charges)
---
Difference in Miles 31,536
Difference in Cash $398.61AUD

Notional value of points 1.26 cents (to 2 d.p) per point
At that rate, I'd pay max cash

AUH-ATH Business (One Way) Great availability FYI
Minimum Miles 29,287 :-: Max Cash 772AED ($292.16AUD)
---
Max Miles 39,020 :-: Min Cash 450AED ($170.30AUD) (just taxes, fees, and charges)
---
Difference in miles 9,733
Difference in cash $121.86AUD

Notional value of points 1.25 cents (to 2 d.p) per point
At that rate, I'd pay max cash

Hope that answers all the questions you might have here.

[AED to AUD currency conversion is at mid-market rates, your credit card company may charge more than mid-market rate when doing currency conversion]

Last edited by SuiteFlight; Nov 20, 15 at 12:36 am
SuiteFlight is offline  
Old Nov 20, 15, 12:27 am
  #12  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2010
Programs: QFF, Krisflyer
Posts: 448
Thanks mate. Seems the 75% points and 25% cash is the best way to go, especially when EY run 25% transfer bonuses from Amex every so often.
spizzy is offline  
Old Nov 20, 15, 12:32 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Programs: QF(Platinum) VA(Platinum) EY(Platinum) NZ(Gold) AZ(Platinum) SPG(Gold)
Posts: 278
Originally Posted by spizzy View Post
Thanks mate. Seems the 75% points and 25% cash is the best way to go, especially when EY run 25% transfer bonuses from Amex every so often.
Happy to help. Enjoy Athens
SuiteFlight is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: