FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Etihad Airways | Etihad Guest (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/etihad-airways-etihad-guest-692/)
-   -   Selling airline amenities (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/etihad-airways-etihad-guest/1721880-selling-airline-amenities.html)

Chocoholic123 Nov 4, 2015 5:18 am

Selling airline amenities

Came across this - someone selling an Etihad first class blanket. The amenities kit we're given to take away, okay fine, but surely line is drawn at selling items we're not supposed to take off the plane? Could be a rogue staff member I suppose. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/First-Clas.../111808655859?

SuiteFlight Nov 4, 2015 5:40 am

Doubt it's staff, more than likely a light fingered guest - while still illegal (it's theft after all) I suspect that pax is well aware that there's little chance of any follow up for something minor. Crew don't sell stuff, but it might end up in their home lol*

*Not practiced by all, but I know of a few cabin crew people who have familiar things at home

Chocoholic123 Nov 4, 2015 5:47 am

I once asked a flight attendant if I could take a blanket - it was really cold at the destination and I didnt have a coat to see me through from airport to home. They said yes. I ended up giving it to a homeless man afterwards - otherwise I'd have just kept it at home for personal use or deposited back onto the plane on a subsequent flight. Selling it seems pretty low.

SuiteFlight Nov 4, 2015 5:49 am

There's a market for it (av nuts), but I personally wouldn't want a used blanket off an aircraft.

MacMyDay Nov 4, 2015 9:42 am

I too asked for the blanket after a flight, due to it being cold, and they said we could have them.

STBCypriot Nov 4, 2015 11:22 am

I was on an Etihad flight from JFK to AUH and business class was full of first-time Etihad flyers who took advantage of some fare special (I knew they were first-time Etihad flyers because I overheard some of their conversations indicating such) and a few of them not only took the blankets but the mats that Etihad now offers for the lie-flat seats. I was amazed! :eek: I think that some of them would have taken anything not secured in the cabin. :D

exit2dos Nov 5, 2015 7:34 am

I've seen ground staff at JFK throwing Delta pillows and blankets into a dumpster.

MSPeconomist Nov 5, 2015 7:38 am

When an airline changes to a new style of blanket, etc., they often sell the old stuff. However, sometimes the used items are donated; for example, DL supposedly donated the old tan business class quilts to a homeless shelter. (I would have liked to have been able to purchase one or two of them.)

exit2dos Nov 5, 2015 9:09 am

The ground staff was making about $8 an hour, last year, and they didn't give a fig. Now it's supposedly up to $15 an hour. Try living on that in NYC.

brabb12 Dec 29, 2015 10:35 am

How are the blankets from Etihad first A380? Good quality? Soft? I want to buy one but if they are a cheap quality blanket, I will pass.

MacMyDay Dec 29, 2015 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by brabb12 (Post 25930831)
How are the blankets from Etihad first A380? Good quality? Soft? I want to buy one but if they are a cheap quality blanket, I will pass.

I think it's very comfortable and soft. The blanket we took off the plane is in our lounge and is used regularly (mostly because the builders forgot to install the correct number of radiators in that room, so it takes several lifetimes to get it warm).

brabb12 Dec 29, 2015 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by MacMyDay (Post 25932294)
I think it's very comfortable and soft. The blanket we took off the plane is in our lounge and is used regularly (mostly because the builders forgot to install the correct number of radiators in that room, so it takes several lifetimes to get it warm).

was it the first class one?? Are the a380 first class and other first class blankets 777 with them the same?

MacMyDay Dec 29, 2015 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by brabb12 (Post 25932430)
was it the first class one?? Are the a380 first class and other first class blankets 777 with them the same?

Yes, it's the first class one and yes it was from the A380. I've only flown Etihad six times and they have all been on their A380 and B787; I cannot remember with certainty if the 787 was the same blanket, but I think it was. I'm flying SIN->LHR in F on the 1st Jan, so could confirm then, but I imagine someone else here will jump in before I get a chance.

brabb12 Dec 29, 2015 9:40 pm

Does anyone wanna donate one to me or for a good price sell me one? Lol... Don't wanna to be greedy but rather ask on here before searching on eBay or somewhere like that.