A380 First Class

Old Oct 23, 2015, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Question

Thanks for the very useful post, pcharles. (Though don't you mean EY instead of EK in your last sentence?)

A question for those who've already flown the 380 in F, albeit re a very minor matter: Is there any location in the aparment where a couple could sit together to watch a movie (using one of those cable splitters, or whatever they're called, that feed into two headphones)? As roomy as the apartment is, it doesn't look like it's set up to make that possible.
Old Oct 23, 2015, 6:08 pm

Programs: QF(Platinum) VA(Platinum) EY(Platinum) NZ(Gold) AZ(Platinum) SPG(Gold)
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
Thanks for the very useful post, pcharles. (Though don't you mean EY instead of EK in your last sentence?)

A question for those who've already flown the 380 in F, albeit re a very minor matter: Is there any location in the aparment where a couple could sit together to watch a movie (using one of those cable splitters, or whatever they're called, that feed into two headphones)? As roomy as the apartment is, it doesn't look like it's set up to make that possible.
While not impossible, it'd be pretty impractical. The Residence is better suited for such, but that doesn't justify the fare increase
Old Oct 24, 2015, 7:23 am

Programs: many

Corrected, thanks.

Certainly doable with some positioning options. But nothing like a theatre viewing like the residence would offer.
Viewing the movie together could be fairly easy, the challenge might be the headphone two way splitter from the same jack? As alternative, I'm not sure the bench and seat wall jacks can operate at the same time using two sets of headphones? That would be the easier option but you would need to angle the TV between the bench and seat and find a comfortable position.

We found it easier to just watch the same movie on the two TVs at the same time. Of course one of you will fall asleep anyway...
Old Oct 24, 2015, 8:30 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Originally Posted by SuiteFlight
Having flown a number of carriers in First, I wouldn't rate it as a leading First Class experience.
When I flew the first time in EY F suite I was impressed. However, the second time I found it something normal.

That feeling I never get whenever I fly LH F class which makes me always impressed no matter how many times I fly with them @:-)
Old Oct 24, 2015, 8:57 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

There is a screen sharing option on the TV so you can both watch the same content at the same time, if you had the privacy divider down this could be done while lounging in bed.
Old Oct 24, 2015, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold

Thanks to all for the useful replies...

While not impossible, it'd be pretty impractical. The Residence is better suited for such, but that doesn't justify the fare increase
Money is no object when it comes to watching movies with my wife! Now, finding a film we both like...that's another matter.

Originally Posted by pcharles
Corrected, thanks.

Certainly doable with some positioning options. But nothing like a theatre viewing like the residence would offer.
Viewing the movie together could be fairly easy, the challenge might be the headphone two way splitter from the same jack? As alternative, I'm not sure the bench and seat wall jacks can operate at the same time using two sets of headphones? That would be the easier option but you would need to angle the TV between the bench and seat and find a comfortable position.

We found it easier to just watch the same movie on the two TVs at the same time. Of course one of you will fall asleep anyway...
Yep, sounds like us.

Originally Posted by Gabrca
There is a screen sharing option on the TV so you can both watch the same content at the same time, if you had the privacy divider down this could be done while lounging in bed.
Sounds good!
Old Oct 24, 2015, 4:56 pm

Programs: QFF, Krisflyer
(and 11 times in the Etihad A380 Business Studio)
OT- What did you think about the A380 Business Studio. Looks like a good product and I'm assuming for you to fly it that many times it must be good?
Old Oct 24, 2015, 7:06 pm

Programs: QF(Platinum) VA(Platinum) EY(Platinum) NZ(Gold) AZ(Platinum) SPG(Gold)
Originally Posted by spizzy
OT- What did you think about the A380 Business Studio. Looks like a good product and I'm assuming for you to fly it that many times it must be good?
I find the Business Studio better for sleeping as the seat is a bit more comfortable than the Apartment bench, especially if you can get a seat in Row 8 (bigger foot box). The biggest drawback to me, between Business and First, is that toilet access has to be timed well in Business (often full house) whereas in First you very rarely have to wait.

My flying Etihad that much was more about clocking Guest Platinum (and Etihad as an airline), just to see what difference it made (in terms of award access, onboard recognition, etc), rather than endorsement of either the Studio or the Apartments.

Now that I've given Etihad a decent extended road test, I'm giving them a break for a year and will recheck back after that to see if anything has changed. If anything, it's made me appreciate Emirates' offerings more, so I'm back to flying them (when using the Middle East routes) for what's left of this year and 2016, as well as doing a few Qatar flights (will take a look at the new First lounge).

Addendum - I suppose, when looking between First and Business on Etihad, you should consider the fare difference isn't particularly wide - usually a thousand or so each way (far less than the delta between Economy and Business) so it often comes to a "why not" as First will always be at least somewhat better than Business on any airline. So, that can upsell you.

Last edited by SuiteFlight; Oct 24, 2015 at 7:22 pm
Old Oct 24, 2015, 9:49 pm

Programs: QFF, Krisflyer
Thanks for the update. One last OT question. Food/service in Business Studio?
Old Oct 25, 2015, 12:58 am

I'd rank the food probably on par with Emirates, which is to say that it's good, but not the best I've ever had; the lamb as a main course was delicious and memorable, whereas the Meze starter wasn't great. When we flew EY J, my partner became very ill on the day we flew, to the point we had to call out a doctor 3 days in a row when we got to Dubai, and one cabin crew member in particular looked after her so well that I wrote a letter to Etihad afterwards to thank her - I do hope she actually received the feedback. It was the best service we've ever received on a plane. This is a rare situation, of course, and I'd hope you don't need to be at deaths door to receive good service, but it was still hugely appreciated.
Old Oct 25, 2015, 6:53 am

It's interesting another poster equates EY catering in First to EK catering in First, as I wouldn't say that myself. One thing that Etihad noticeably lacks in First catering, to Emirates catering (and some other airlines that offer First), is the lack of premium offerings.

On SQ, CX, EK, OZ, ANA, WY, LH, LX, etc - even QF now - premium speciality or signature dishes are part of the First menus, where caviar, truffles, and such "luxury" foods feature.

Similarly these carriers often have very premium wines like Krug (or other AUD$250+ retail champagnes), highly rated Grand Crus, and other top notch drops.

Etihad First catering doesn't really punch in that range, it's not the worst in the segment by any measure, just not at that top tier. One person I read described the catering as high Michelin Star worthy, which I though was heavy hyperbole - it's certainly not going to make a place like Le Cinq worry about being surpassed, indeed it's about the level of a semi-decent suburban bistro (just served on a nicer plate).

Emirates has a nicer wine list IMO (although I rate some of Etihad's cocktails) and it's premium dishes lift it above Etihad (although it's non-premium dishes can be a little ordinary, but then Etihad has it's share of ho-hum dishes as well). Bollinger Grand Annie or Leroy Deval (or some of the lesser offerings they offer instead on some flights) are ok, just a tier down.

Etihad pips a little for breakfast, given you can have eggs anyway you want (sans pork offerings, like all Middle East/Islamic carriers, so no ham and cheese omelettes).

There was some talk back about six months ago about Etihad introducing some premium catering options, by nothing seemed to come of it. I really don't mind if it's ordinary or fancy food that Etihad serve, as long as it's of high quality, but given that they struggle with not overcooking the steak (yet to get medium rare) and the bread sometimes, it's not something they've been able to get quite right.

Mind you, the best thing to do is fly both and decide for yourself (but this is my assessment from flying multiple flights in First on both carriers, in addition to other airlines).
Old Oct 25, 2015, 7:45 am
HB7

Programs: BA Exec Club, SIA KrisFlyer, Qantas FF, Emirates Skywards
One thing that Etihad noticeably lacks in First catering, to Emirates catering (and some other airlines that offer First), is the lack of premium offerings.

On SQ, CX, EK, OZ, ANA, WY, LH, LX, etc - even QF now - premium speciality or signature dishes are part of the First menus, where caviar, truffles, and such "luxury" foods feature.

I really don't mind if it's ordinary or fancy food that Etihad serve, as long as it's of high quality, but given that they struggle with not overcooking the steak (yet to get medium rare) and the bread sometimes, it's not something they've been able to get quite right.
Just as another reference I completely agree with SuiteFlight. I do understand a lot of these opinions are subjective - but I also believe Emirates highly outperforms Etihad in the catering department - both on the ground and in the air.

Furthermore, I did find SQ, CX, QF, QR all had food which was of a much higher quality than EY.

Once again, those are only my opinions and I think the best way to judge for yourself is to try it out
Old Oct 25, 2015, 7:48 am
HB7

Programs: BA Exec Club, SIA KrisFlyer, Qantas FF, Emirates Skywards
My flying Etihad that much was more about clocking Guest Platinum (and Etihad as an airline), just to see what difference it made (in terms of award access, onboard recognition, etc), rather than endorsement of either the Studio or the Apartments.
SuiteFlight - was there any noticeable difference when you got to Guest Plat? Award access and onboard recognition - did this change at all?
Old Oct 25, 2015, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by HB7
Just as another reference I completely agree with SuiteFlight. I do understand a lot of these opinions are subjective - but I also believe Emirates highly outperforms Etihad in the catering department - both on the ground and in the air.

Furthermore, I did find SQ, CX, QF, QR all had food which was of a much higher quality than EY.

Once again, those are only my opinions and I think the best way to judge for yourself is to try it out
Well, I'll make it 3 for 3 . I've flown QF F and CX F multiple times, although I haven't flown QR F yet. I'd also add JL. The eggs cooked to order on EY is a great touch and my eggs were perfectly cooked to my request and really good, but the other catering could be better for sure. For me, the big shortfall is the bed; to have all of that space to make a separate bed and to end up having a bed that isn't top in class is poor form. QF F, EK F, and SQ Suites beds are better despite involving the seat, and the benchmark for a separate bed of course is the no longer available LH 747-400 F which was oh so comfy for sleeping. EY F bed simply isn't close to any of those, despite having less of a limitation on the layout.
Old Oct 25, 2015, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by HB7
SuiteFlight - was there any noticeable difference when you got to Guest Plat? Award access and onboard recognition - did this change at all?
None that I encountered, some other poster mentioned it seems to make more of a difference if you are in the back of the aircraft (visit by senior cabin crew member, little treats from Business, etc). Online award availability exactly the same, and no difference in call centre contact.

Oddly, sometimes I even had Etihad Gold printed on my boarding pass (this was weeks after my status was updated to Etihad Platinum).

Basically put, it seems there is little if any benefits beyond the ones stated on the Platinum page (a lot of airlines have additional unpublished benefits for top tiers, small but nonetheless valuable perks that round out the published perks). Not having a current First lounge means a large benefit of Platinum is missing, but glad I went to the effort to at least check it out for myself.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.