FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Etihad Airways | Etihad Guest (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/etihad-airways-etihad-guest-692/)
-   -   A380 First Class (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/etihad-airways-etihad-guest/1716619-a380-first-class.html)

TheBOSman Oct 19, 2015 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by teddy25 (Post 25587384)
EY first apartment is the best hard first product out there.

EY's service is not consistent. I would love to fly EY first with QF's staff.

EY staffs seem to be less equipped to deal with a full cabin than many other airlines. Most of the middling reviews of the service seem to be with a full cabin. I was fortunate to fly the Apartment with only one other person in the cabin and an empty Residence, I thought the service was quite excellent. Unfortunately, this is the type of scenario that is tough to get far in advance.

MacMyDay Oct 20, 2015 1:50 am

Originally Posted by TheBOSman (Post 25587556)
Just as good, and for reference I flew TK J and EY Apartments almost back-to-back, BOS-IST-AUH with TK then AUH-LHR with EY. My EY chef also failed to inform me of his CV, perhaps I've been cheated :D.

I flew TK J a few months ago on a short-haul flight and was really impressed by the food - it's definitely on par with Etihad F. I'd still say Qatar F is the best food I've ever had in the air.

HB7 Oct 20, 2015 6:52 am

Originally Posted by MacMyDay (Post 25589317)
I flew TK J a few months ago on a short-haul flight and was really impressed by the food - it's definitely on par with Etihad F. I'd still say Qatar F is the best food I've ever had in the air.

I actually think the food on Qatar J was better than on Qatar F - at least the flights I've been on. But then again, Qatar are known for their good quality food.

HB7 Oct 20, 2015 6:59 am

Originally Posted by teddy25 (Post 25587384)
EY first apartment is the best hard first product out there.

I think before I flew it for the first time I would agree with you. Looks amazing and I still think it's a fantastic product. However the bed is not that comfortable (compared to QF F, CX F or SQ F), the IFE doesn't even make the top 10 - it is really poor and seriously when will EY decide to have some good quality noise cancelling headphones in F? I hate seeing cheap headphones in F - unfortunately there are a fair few top airlines who do this.

NZbutterfly Oct 20, 2015 9:33 pm

Awesome!!

I'm looking to try them in early 2017. I don't often fly in their direction but will be around their parts.

I've only seen reviews on you tube but I feel they give me a good enough glimpse into the various first products and have decided it's the only one I'm really gunning for because it seems so far above the rest! (Not that my budget allows me to fly F frequently).

I'm very much a fan of space and I think that's why I'm attracted to the product over the others. It also looks more private than say LH but if flying with a partner and you're lucky enough to get the right apartments you can take down the divider. (Need that to give him a quick shove if he starts snoring:p). I think the design is also quite elegant. Space, privacy and elegance - what a great combination:)

I have no expectations when it comes to soft products so I'm sure I'll be fine with whatever comes.

My main problem will be keeping an eye out for when dates are available to book before it gets booked out! And hoping they credit to my VA account without requiring follow up.

P.s. I'm completely jealous of the poster that actually got to converse with one of the guys involved with the design!

MacMyDay Oct 21, 2015 12:46 am

Originally Posted by NZbutterfly (Post 25593906)
I'm very much a fan of space and I think that's why I'm attracted to the product over the others. It also looks more private than say LH but if flying with a partner and you're lucky enough to get the right apartments you can take down the divider. (Need that to give him a quick shove if he starts snoring:p). I think the design is also quite elegant. Space, privacy and elegance - what a great combination:)

Not to dash your dreams, but the divider is semi-useless really, as it's at the other end of the cabin, away from your seat. So the only time it's useful is if you're in bed next to the other person, or you're both sat back there and turn the TV to face you, but it's not very comfortable. I rarely fly by myself, so not being able to easily converse does become a disadvantage, albeit a small one (who doesn't like peace and quiet, right? Uh oh, dog house for me ;-) ) as you have to go into the other cabin to chat to your partner, but the cabin is so large that most of the time she spends her time in mine and we end up eating together too.

NZbutterfly Oct 21, 2015 1:53 am

Originally Posted by MacMyDay (Post 25594298)
Not to dash your dreams, but the divider is semi-useless really, as it's at the other end of the cabin, away from your seat. So the only time it's useful is if you're in bed next to the other person, or you're both sat back there and turn the TV to face you, but it's not very comfortable. I rarely fly by myself, so not being able to easily converse does become a disadvantage, albeit a small one (who doesn't like peace and quiet, right? Uh oh, dog house for me ;-) ) as you have to go into the other cabin to chat to your partner, but the cabin is so large that most of the time she spends her time in mine and we end up eating together too.

Yes I did notice that about the divider. There's been lots of pictures, reviews and pros and cons posted on here and blogs so I feel I have my expectations in check. When he's in bed is when he's most prone to snoring - which is when he most needs to be prodded:) I'll be doing the cabin a favour! :) Not too concerned about the rest of the flight. I'm positive I will go and bug him but we are ok doing our own thing too. Eg we have different preferences for movies so will need some time apart.

m0hamed Oct 21, 2015 11:19 pm

I'm yet to fly the Apartments yet, will do shortly, but I'm convinced by the photos and videos I have seen that seats across the aisle from each other such as 3A/K are preferable to 3/4A because you would be able to see your travel companion while seated.

stargold Oct 22, 2015 2:49 am

Originally Posted by m0hamed (Post 25599105)
I'm yet to fly the Apartments yet, will do shortly, but I'm convinced by the photos and videos I have seen that seats across the aisle from each other such as 3A/K are preferable to 3/4A because you would be able to see your travel companion while seated.

3A/K or 4A/K: I'm not quite sure whether hailing from the opposite ends of an A330-width cabin counts as "being able to see travel companions while seated"?

The pairs of aisle seats which might be closer to what you mean are 2C/H and 5C/H. I quite liked 2C/H, but still can't see how the aisle between the two passengers (and two sets of doors, if you decide to close it) is preferable to the wall. And 5C/H are the least desirable seats in the cabin.

BrianLeahy Oct 22, 2015 3:25 am

Originally Posted by m0hamed (Post 25599105)

3 A window 3 K window you are also sitting in a nook as the vanity dressing table is by the seat, at best with both doors open you can see their feet, there is no way to have a conversation. The connecting seats are fine if you happy to both sit on couch and chat through divider, of course the other option is one person just sits in others apartment. What struck me when I flew was the privacy even if travelling with someone you have to really go out of your way to interact with people, if you want to do so then travel in Business it looks a great product to be fair, also the lounge is great to just sit and chat with people that you travelling with or indeed strangers.

BrianLeahy Oct 22, 2015 3:30 am

Originally Posted by stargold (Post 25599574)
3A/K or 4A/K: I'm not quite sure whether hailing from the opposite ends of an A330-width cabin counts as "being able to see travel companions while seated"?

The pairs of aisle seats which might be closer to what you mean are 2C/H and 5C/H. I quite liked 2C/H, but still can't see how the aisle between the two passengers (and two sets of doors, if you decide to close it) is preferable to the wall. And 5C/H are the least desirable seats in the cabin.

Have to agree about 2C still prefer 4A or 4K but one advantage of aisle seat is that when sleeping your head is by window not door (to accom TV), I flew out 4K and loved it as while 14 hour flight did not really want to sleep much, but coming back it was late flight I was wrecked tired so felt the head by window sleeping was better, got a lovely 7 hour sleep which is something I have never done in a plane, and to be honest found the bed perfect but I do like a firm bed. Also agree about 5C/H.

m0hamed Oct 22, 2015 4:24 am

From this video, you could sit forward and get the attention of your travel companion. Obviously the seats by the aisle would be easier, but you get my point.

http://s21.postimg.cc/gsdox7xqf/120...04815052_o.jpg

travel4b Oct 22, 2015 8:46 am

I've seen a couple trip reports and it seems that two people traveling together can at least share a meal together as the pull out table is big enough to accommodate two place settings and one person can sit on the bench opposite the seat. It seems carrying on any conversation with a fellow passenger while in your seats is an impossibility.

MacMyDay Oct 22, 2015 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by travel4b (Post 25600602)
I've seen a couple trip reports and it seems that two people traveling together can at least share a meal together as the pull out table is big enough to accommodate two place settings and one person can sit on the bench opposite the seat. .

That is exactly what we did. Lunch in my Apartment and then Dinner in hers, at their suggestion.

pcharles Oct 23, 2015 11:11 am

From my experience in 3A/4A. While it does not lend to conversation you can peek at your travel companion during takeoff/landing if you both lean to the windows and peek around the wall divider the TVs are on. We had the movable cabin divider stowed away the entire time and we spent time on the bench and talked within the opening during most of the flight.

We dined together in 4A and I took the bench seat side. EYs bench seat is far more comfortable to sit on the foot rest you need to utilize on CX. The table was perfectly adequate for dining together, akin to CX F.

As some have commented, some compartment latches mainly near the vanity, became loose during takeoff/landing and a couple popped open (in 3A not 4A). I find the vanity area a waste of space but the small shelf that opens from it works just fine to hold your beverage and small snack when you are seated on the bench. The shelf tray is also an easy reach for the crew to refresh from. I found the use of materials and the subdued tones more appealing to EK's bling and mirror concept.

When resting, we both slept and watched a movie comfortably from the bench with my pillows propped against the wall. Lying flat, only SQ rivals this 'together time' experience for a couple. On the SQ A380 if you happen to acquire the middle suites for dining/entertainment and the other middle suite set for your separate sleeping bedroom; that is an experience superior to all other carriers IMO.

While spending most of the flight together, we enjoyed the fairly free-flowing feel of the two cabins being open to each other. Its easy to move around and converse. Both people remaining in their seat is much more isolating. If traveling solo, the whole Apartment definitely offers the benefit of utmost privacy and space.

There's quite a few critiques of the fact that the shower head is immobile and I myself dislike a cold start to a shower. But as someone has mentioned, there is plenty of room to stand aside and use your hand as a deflector, if necessary. It was a nonissue in my experience. EY's crew would retrieve you for your shower only after making sure everything was in order. I never saw any water from previous use. I prefer EK's larger bathroom space, especially for changing and their heated floors are a very nice perk. EK's dedicated bathroom attendants insured a very tidy experience at any and all times.

The crew was extremely accommodating, and the chef personally made us an anniversary cake which was not prearranged, and the occasion had only come up in mid-flight small talk with the crew. The chef also made us two signature drinks to accompany the cake. The crew were very attentive to the needs of all the full cabin, topping up drinks, retrieving those for showers, and assisting with any request. We had a good crew with the perfect balance of privacy and attentiveness.

On the other hand, EY's ground experience is such that it could actually diminish the flying experience, if you let it. The Apartment does not have a supporting cast on the ground. EK, LH, TG all have far superior ground support, transfers and lounges. Out of the ME3, I still prefer EK's consistency for a better overall experience. Even if EY gets around to opening an F lounge, will that it will really make that much difference? An added touch perhaps, but just a small step in distance they need to go to catch up with other carriers' support and personnel.

With the A380 F, EY created a fine product in the Apartments, they are remarkable to experience. If EY matures and improves the rest of their services, they would be superb.