Etihad "Nanny"

Does the nanny always stay in Economy?

On a recent flight I had
6 small children
4 babies

Out of 28~ seats in Business Class
( Ultra long haul flight)

Nanny was no where to be seen.

The parents were hands off <retracted>, that basically allowed the 6 children to do whatever they want.
It was near impossible to work with the 6 children playing hide and seek and walking all over the plane, making it essentially their own private living room

Last edited by meFIRST; Aug 17, 2015 at 7:45 pm
Old Aug 15, 2015, 6:44 pm
Company Representative, Etihad

Hello,

Our Flying Nanny on board works also in the Business Class.
We are really sorry for your last experience on board.

Best regards,

Etihad Help *KC
Old Aug 16, 2015, 2:28 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by meFIRST
Does the nanny always stay in Economy?

On a recent flight I had
6 small children
4 babies

Out of 28~ seats in Business Class
( Ultra long haul flight)

Nanny was no where to be seen.

The parents were hands off middle easterners, that basically allowed the 6 children to do whatever they want.
It was near impossible to work with the 6 children playing hide and seek and walking all over the plane, making it essentially their own private living room
The heritage of the parents is irrelevant and your post displays casual racism.

To answer your question: The Nannies work where they are required and also on request.
Old Aug 16, 2015, 10:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by EtihadHelp
Hello,

Our Flying Nanny on board works also in the Business Class.
We are really sorry for your last experience on board.

Best regards,

Etihad Help *KC
Really?. I am going to request that the nanny move to Business then next time. There were more small children in Business on this route. I peeked into economy and it was mostly adults.

The small rowdy children were disturbing other pax, myself included.
Old Aug 16, 2015, 1:37 pm

Programs: EY Guest Platinum; A3 Gold; Delta Platinum, BA Silver, IHG Gold
On my last flight did they had 57 children on board. Do you really think one nanny could do anything. It is a nice service but she will not be someone's private nanny for the entire flight.

The parents are responsible and are to blame in case the kids go crazy... Not the nanny!!!
Old Aug 16, 2015, 7:18 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
The nannies really cannot do much for the reasons h1ghfly3r notes, there are often many children spread across 3 cabins. When we flew F last November with our 3 kids, we were hoping to get at least some attention from the sky nanny but other than a quick intro in the beginning there was little. I think the name is a big marketing mistake, it creates the false impression that the OP has. But alas, one of the great F flight attendants was from Spain and realized my 5 year old daughter speaks Spanish and so came by whenever things were slow and talked with her.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 7:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by h1ghfly3r
On my last flight did they had 57 children on board. Do you really think one nanny could do anything. It is a nice service but she will not be someone's private nanny for the entire flight.

The parents are responsible and are to blame in case the kids go crazy... Not the nanny!!!

I retracted my previous statement.

I hope people will understand it from my perspective. My ticket costs thousands of dollars, and I had meeting the next day and had to work on the plane ( wifi). Having 6 small children under the age of 5 running amok in the aisles ( with the crew doing nothing to stop this) was not my idea a pleasant flight. Two of then jumped seat to seat and decided to play with the seats, turning the lights on and off, like it's some kind of game.
Also there were 3 babies, 2 of them cried non stop for 7+ hours.

This out of 28 seats in Business Class. Parents basically let their children do whatever they wanted. Some parents are known to be helicopter parents, these folks basically gave up the moment we left Abu Dhabi and allowed their kids to do what ever.

Crew did nothing to control the situation. Nanny nowhere to be seen. Finally I asked for the "purser"and was told the Nanny's shift had ended.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 9:27 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
I retracted my previous statement.
Thank you.

I actually agree with your post. Whether it's a loud person arguing down a mobile phone in the lounge or unruly children in board I would expect the FAs to respond to my complaint.

I would never speak to the pax or parents directly, but would expect that the FAs would act on the complain and try to quieten the situation.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 4:58 am

Programs: EK, AA, DL, UA, SPG, HGP, Amex
The whole air nanny is a nice marketing tool with little practical use.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 5:19 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by extramileage
The whole air nanny is a nice marketing tool with little practical use.
Do you have any experience with it?

Families I know who have utilised the service have been very grateful.

EY and formerly GF wouldn't be training FAs in established Nanny schools for marketing.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
I peeked into economy and it was mostly adults.
Based on your figures above, business was mostly adults, too!

(unless there were some Big Babies you haven't mentioned...)
Old Aug 19, 2015, 2:32 pm

Programs: EY Guest Platinum; A3 Gold; Delta Platinum, BA Silver, IHG Gold
I had babies in the cabin as well and it was not a pleasant experience. It is the parents and crew's job to keep them calm.
The nanny is a nice feature but in the end she cannot and will not take care of all kids at the same time
Old Aug 20, 2015, 3:00 pm

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
Etihad &quot;Nanny&quot;

My 5yo has been disappointed to tears at the lack of 'nanny' coming to say hello in the F or J cabin because they have been 'too busy' in the Y cabin.

On the last F flight the Purser came and did face painting (which is all she wanted) as the 'nanny' never appeared.

Not a life changing loss but when you are 5 and the nannies in the AUH lounge tell you that there is face painting on your flight and it doesn't happen, it's a BIG deal.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 10:20 pm

Programs: All of Them
I flew F with my 6 month old NRT-AUH. Nanny was great, came and took him while wife and I ate dinner and breakfast.
Old Aug 22, 2015, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
I figured the nanny is just there in case mum wants to go to the toilet or have dinner. I can't imagine they are there to look after the kids whilst the parents don't help at all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.