Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Etihad Airways | Etihad Guest
Reload this Page >

Redeeming Etihad guest miles for AA flights

Redeeming Etihad guest miles for AA flights

Old Dec 27, 2022, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Kcheme04
Hi Everyone,

I bit new here and trying to wrap my head around how to use all my amex points. I am looking at flights on AA using Etihad miles for PHL to CDG in April. I see saver availability, 57.5K each way (right?), but flights say they are operated by British Airlines. Will I be able to book these through Etihad for 50k a piece, or does it have to be a flight operated by American? I am not seeing any saver available on American operated flights. I have 220k Amex MR points, trying to get 3 biz class tickets PHL to CDG but could also fly out for EWR, BWI, or JFK.

TIA!
BA is not an EY redemption partner. AA will display 57.5K trans-Atlantic Business Class awards operated by BA (with very high carrier surcharges), but those are not bookable through Etihad.

I have not seen a trans-Atlantic Business Class award on AA metal for less than 78K AA miles in a long time. Such awards are obviously not MileSAAvers, and as such, cannot be booked through Etihad.
Old Feb 14, 2023, 9:54 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Just made an Etihad redemption for AA transcon First Class, super easy process.

Checked the space on BA's website, since AA's "web specials" make it extremely difficult to know what will be available to partners.

Call to Etihad took 15 minutes total to book, I fed the agent all the info and what flight I wanted. Looks like AA releases tons of partner-bookable "F" award space last-minute, my flight had up to 5 seats available. No wonder they're getting rid of it, otoh there's very little partner-bookable Y/J award space on these routes.

Amex>Etihad transfer was instant, and JFK-SFO only cost 25,000 miles - J and F have the same award price. $14 in taxes.
Old Mar 27, 2023, 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by zeer0

Checked the space on BA's website, since AA's "web specials" make it extremely difficult to know what will be available to partners.

Call to Etihad took 15 minutes total to book, I fed the agent all the info and what flight I wanted. Looks like AA releases tons of partner-bookable "F" award space last-minute, my flight had up to 5 seats available. No wonder they're getting rid of it, otoh there's very little partner-bookable Y/J award space on these routes.

Amex>Etihad transfer was instant, and JFK-SFO only cost 25,000 miles - J and F have the same award price. $14 in taxes.
May I ask what is the phone number to Etihad? The number list on their website 877-690-0767 seems to be scam. After I hung up on them, they even called me back and tried to tell me that they are the consolidator for American Airlines.
Old Mar 27, 2023, 6:57 pm

Also, I read online that we can book AA flights on etihad guest, but I can't get the cities to populate. Example is MSY-DCA, nonstop offered by mainline AA. The website will show MSY, but after origin is selected, the destination always populates to somewhere in the middle east.
Old Mar 28, 2023, 3:47 am

Programs: EY, VA, QR, QF, AF, ITA, VS
Originally Posted by babypuwet
Also, I read online that we can book AA flights on etihad guest, but I can't get the cities to populate. Example is MSY-DCA, nonstop offered by mainline AA. The website will show MSY, but after origin is selected, the destination always populates to somewhere in the middle east.
I've been able to work around this - just create a search for a revenue ticket to anywhere to launch the booking system.
Then - top right corner - change - then click on miles and enter the desired city pairs.

That's the only way I found to be able to book VA and AA awards.
uspurs likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2023, 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by zeer0

Originally Posted by thibaultFR
I've been able to work around this - just create a search for a revenue ticket to anywhere to launch the booking system.
Then - top right corner - change - then click on miles and enter the desired city pairs.

That's the only way I found to be able to book VA and AA awards.
Awesome! That worked and I was able to do a search. However, the results are showing as unavailable even though its available on BA and AA.

Last edited by babypuwet; Mar 28, 2023 at 6:03 pm Reason: more info
Old Apr 27, 2023, 3:27 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, UA 1K, BA Gold, AF Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Plat
I'm noticing something odd- there's a bunch of AA T inventory economy award seat availability for several US domestic routes that can be booked with BA and AA but for some reason Etihad guests can't see a single economy AA domestic redemption inventory on their website. What's odd is that Etihad shows first class availability on those AA flights which BA does not have access to. What gives?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.